It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game show looks to convert atheists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Source

What happens when you put a Muslim imam, a Christian priest, a rabbi and a Buddhist monk in a room with 10 atheists?

Turkish television station Kanal T hopes the answer is a ratings success as it prepares to launch a gameshow where spiritual guides from the four faiths will seek to convert a group of non-believers.

The prize for converts will be a pilgrimage to a holy site of their chosen religion -- Mecca for Muslims, the Vatican for Christians, Jerusalem for Jews and Tibet for Buddhists.

According to the article over 200 people have already applied to be on the show and a group of theologians will be checking to make sure these non-believers really don't have any faith and aren't just seeking fame or a free vacation.

This is almost too amusing for words. If someone truly is an atheist, they have their reasons for not believing. My experience is that those reasons are usually pretty well thought out and based in logic and reasoning, and they aren't going to be easily swayed by scripture reading or theological discussions. I'd almost be willing to watch an episode or two just to see how they think they can convert an atheist into being a believer.

So what do you all think? Can an atheist be turned into a believer if sent off with spiritual guides from four different faiths? Or will they all leave the show the same as they went in as far as religion is concerned?

Something that's just occurred to me, thought it probably should have sooner, is the potential for the "winner" to be someone planted in the show that will pretend to be an atheist until the end when they miraculously see the light. I'd like to think they wouldn't do that, but I'm not naive enough to believe it won't happen. It would be a show killer if they couldn't convert anyone I think.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
So you lose if you dont convert? I'd be the worlds biggest loser then. Glad I'm not taking part in this.
Only these 4 religions represented, where are wiccans and satanist? That would make helluva tv

[Edit] Typo

[edit on 9/7/2009 by PsykoOps]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Only these 4 religions represented, where are wiccans and satanist? That would make helluva tv

I can just see it now. It would make for some hilarious TV, but I think combining a priest and a satanist would result in the priest trying to exorcise the satanists demons.

What do you think though? Think it'll work and they'll get real converts out of it?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
hah ive seen something about this a few days ago. i want to see it. i would love to meet the morons that actually try out for the show.

(the people going on for honest reasons are morons i would like to win a free trip to tibet)

and also i would like to see how poorly the majority of the religions are represented. im sure only one would have a competent rep. to increase the likelihood of getting converts for that religion.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I'll jump in, they'll get real converts alright, and some that fake it inevitably!

People will change, the flashing lights, the beating music, the excitemnt, it must be jesus, wait not the final answer, lord krishna, oh no thats not it, it's the Juju of the Mountain, Final answer......awwww fail you go to hell no, and no trip to mecca! bummer.

People do crazy stuff on tv. Plus their probably being pushed by family members to to go on, so their more easily influenced, not quite as good as Derren Brown does it though!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Jaja and what if the atheist end up converting the religious people??

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Well they messed up straight away. An atheist doesnt belive in a god, and neither do Buddists.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The whole premise of this show is hilarious.

Atheists are going to stick to their beliefs, and religious folks are gonna stick to their beliefs.

Either...

1) The show fails on all counts.

2) The network "manipulates" the results - you know what I mean - to make it seem like someone was converted

3) The smart contestant, as you have mentioned, decides to be "converted" just to win a free trip to Rome or something, on which he'll take tons of photos and do tons of shopping.

Kudos to the network for being innovative, but it's so not going to work.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
surprise ending .... the religious leaders end up without any faith left.
Considering hollywood ... I'm betting this is what would happen.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
They should also have one of the 'major solar event' crop circle believers on the panel. If that's not a religion, I don't know what is.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Either the atheists will make the religious people frustrated, or there will be some 'fake' conversions to make great ratings.

I'd rather see it crossed with Survivor. The Atheist Camp and the Combined Religions Camp. That would make great TV!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78
I'd rather see it crossed with Survivor. The Atheist Camp and the Combined Religions Camp. That would make great TV!

I might actually waste an hour of my life each week to watch if they did that.

I'm thinking the number of real converts will be rather slim. They aren't going to find many atheists who are easily swayed, not even by a religious leader or spiritual guide as they're calling them. If they were, they'd have converted already. I'm sure the people they choose will go along with whatever ceremonies or religious exercises they are asked to do, if only to be polite, but I don't think they'll get anyone who is truly an atheist to convert. Well, except to get the free trip.

new topics

top topics

join