It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe in the paranormal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by phi1618

Almost everything can be explained, except for the things we're still ignorant on, such as the universe, we're very ignorant on it, but clouding it with deities and aliens and nibiru, and telekinesis, is only making it a garden with faeries beneath it.

We know next to nothing about our universe, for goodness sakes we dont even know much about our deepest oceans. I don't think looking into our past for clues is wrong in helping us understand the bigger picture. Man has been around for a long time, its possible somethings may have been lost in translation or forgotten. Think that deal with the paranormal happen, we just cant explain them, so we naturally say its something else. It all has to do with taboos and human nature. Look at the helio-centric model of the solar system, how long did that take to catch on? people believed alot of wrong things before. The truth to them seemed like something impossible so they fought tooth and nail to protect their beliefs. Its only human nature to fear change.

We just simply dont know enough to deny or prove anything, so its based on belief. How one acquires that belife is up the the individual.

link   
Nothing seems to have set it off for me, I just kind of cannot imagine a life without paranormal things, if that makes sense. To me, it has always been there. :\

link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

What I would do, is if I couldn't find a logical explanation, and passed a psych test with flying colours?

I would reevaluate myself, and see if I answered the questions honestly on the test, purely honestly.

Then I would seek the missing info, that my subconcious imagination is throwing in there, and try to understand, then try to explain the illusion, i'd try to understand why I might be illusioning something.

Savvy?

If I saw an alien, I wouldn't try to understand why I saw an alien, i'd look at what chemicals i'd been around, look at those, not why an alien would arrive as many abductees are notorious for doing so!
I feel they find it too, and hide it as to not be contradictory or seem foolish on camera or on a news entry they entered.

What in your life was so illogical, if it truly is you can post it and i'll give a hell of ahack at it.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Well i'll take you on this journey.

Do you ever see Ghosts, being a social norm, something in the newspapers, something that is just an okay thing to see, and not be paranormal.

I was tlakign to my dead father the other day, he mentioned something about such and such happening here and there.

No it's not logical,

Ghosts maybe very real, I won't say 100% that their not real, i'll just say 99% sure their not real, which is a huge amount.

I think it's a fear to accept that, the world isn't a mystical and magical place, people fear that it is a normal and the weirdness in it is, well not that weird but I would consider quite cool!

People fear, above all, that noone is babysitting us (aliens, gods) people fear that there is no afterlife (gods, heavens, deities).

Is it so hard to believe, that you live and then your atoms go elsewhere, that the earth isn't eternal, that this is just it, and why not make the best of it while you got the hell of chance to get it?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kappo
Nothing seems to have set it off for me, I just kind of cannot imagine a life without paranormal things, if that makes sense. To me, it has always been there. :\

What has always been there, and have you ever tried explaining it with science, or at the very least, wikipedia?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Nothing in my life has been so illogical that I can't explain it. But everyone is different, and all I'm saying is you can't label possibly 'normal' people mentally diseased for having an experience that you don't believe in.

There are plenty of things that we don't know, and it is normal to draw conclusions, if we have reached the end of our knowledge, why is it wrong to label something paranormal, or beyond our knowledge if we don't know what the hell it is?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I never said anything about it being plausible. All I said was that there is no evidence to either prove or disprove it. Lets talk about science then.

Quantum theory has been rejected by most mainstream science until recently. It has gained alot more ground in recent years. And IN quantum theory there is something called a Multi-Verse. Where every possibility is played out in its own universe of existence. How can you possbily say that there is absolutely NO WAY paranormal phenomenon can be real? It is closed minded people that run alot of science fields, and the reason why science has been so slow to even BEGIN to catch up with what was already known thousands of years ago.

I consider myself a scientific mind, but I keep that mind open to possibilities because I have tried and FAILED to calculate everything in my life. In fact, MOST of science is based on theory that changes constantly.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by Kappo

What has always been there, and have you ever tried explaining it with science, or at the very least, wikipedia?

No lol, why should I?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I believe in the paranormal for two reasons.

1. Despite the many hoaxes and mis-identifications, there are still pictures and videos that have stood up past all skeptic review to remain unexplainable by science.

2. I've seen what has to be the creepiest kind of spirit..."thing" I can think of, a shadow person. Apparently, it likes to peek around the corner where my room is when it's really dark.

I only notice it when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye and when I look, it's gone.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I saw what I think were ghosts twice as a child. The memories are hazy but I remember explaining the 1st to my freaked out parents.
When I was a young adult I lived in a 16th century building with a large group of people. Most of us had the experience of feeling like we were being followed up the stairs. Several times groups of us heard footsteps on the floor above when there was nobody up there, a few times walking almost the length of the house. But that would have been physically impossible because there was a corridor that ran the width of the house from the top of the spooky stairs. It had only been added in the 1840s, before that the upstairs was 1 big space. I saw a glowing amber ball hovering in the unlit fireplace there, which shot up the chimney & the ghost of a man wearing a knee length smock & floppy brimmed hat hiding most of his face except his beard, crouched by the fire. I was really curious but as I approached I kicked a cup someone left lying around, glanced down & back up: he was gone.
A few years later in another place, a friend & I heard what sounded like wind rattling a window in the the next room, which was bizarre since it was a calm day. We checked: the windows were fastened. We checked the whole house: all fastened; nobody else in. We shrugged it off & sat down. A bit later we heard a single footstep out in the tiled hall: nobody there, so we checked the whole house thoroughly, incase a mate was dicking around: nobody. The only place anyone could have gone was out the front door, but you couldn't open or close it without being heard throughout the house cos the hall was so echo-y & the door was stiff.
About 5 years ago I was reading & felt like I was being watched. I looked up & saw a monochrome translucent ghost of a young girl staring @me from about 8' away. I dont remember much of her costume, just a wide collar & bonnet tied under her chin. She had curly hair poking out of it round her face, chubby cheeks, tiny mouth & seriously piercing eyes.
(Cont. Below)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Ive seen too many things that cant be explained,So yes I believe.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by RoseD1st]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I believe in the 'paranormal' because - and I can hear the scoffing and "yeeeah, whatever"s already - its a pretty *normal* thing really.

IF its so normal that it can be proven - wheres the proof? Produce the evidence! Take the Randy Challenge! Prove it prove it prove it or your opinion is just worthless!

...yup...I get that.

I still believe though.

...and if that makes me foolish in other peoples eyes then cool...good thing their opinion of me is held in about as much regard as my opinion is to them...

Peace.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
(Cont. From above)
The ghost of the young girl glided towards me & I just sat there stunned, but as she got to within about 2' I suddenly realised what I was seeing so completely clearly for the 1st time & freaked out. Just as my heart went mad, she faded to nothing right in front of me, eyes last, which was spooky.
Also, since my early teens I have dreamed the future. Just tiny snippets & never anything of consequence. Usually people say "deja vu", but I've had that too: this is different. I always wake from such dreams with a strange feeling that I can best describe as 'significance' & then these poxy events happen, usually within a few weeks.
The same feeling of 'significance' happens when I occasionally get premonitions awake. A strong feeling I shouldn't do what I'm about to. I ignored it once & ended up in a car accident that left me suffering for months. Very occasionally I get the same feeling that I should do something.
Now the sceptic in me is prepared to accept that many of these experiences have simple explanations & the rest more convoluted ones. I have taken drugs, but none of these things happened under the influence. Still, its possible that I've had side effects or something. But none of them are why I believe. This is:
12 years ago I was writing a daily diary & I had a 'significant' dream which went on for longer than usual, so I wrote it down; mainly a detailed description of a large room, because apart from me being tiny, airborn & floating around it, nothing else happened.
8 months later I had a premonition that I should move address. The 1st ad I found (although the 2nd place I visited) contained the room from my dream. Every detail: fireplace, windows & balcony, chinese lampshade, brass door handles, wallpaper on the chimney breast, everything. The only difference was that this massive brown 4 seater sofa & the bed were against opposite walls than in the dream, but the same objects.
I paid a deposit on the spot & living there was probably the most intensely creative period of my life

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
You want to know why he made that challenge? Because he, like the rest of the public, don't know of any technology that can capture a spirit with 100% accuracy.

When naturally, no one finds it, he uses that excuse as to the non existance of spirits. A rather weak and un-scientific methodology coming from someone who's putting so much faith in our I guess perfect science. A science which is being proven to full of half truths and whole lies heh...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Nowadays I tend to take most ideas with a grain of salt.

I feel the term paranormal is used incorrectly. Most ideas that get spouted off tend to have too much personal bias to be taken literally. As they have been passed down from generation to generation, the truth can get removed to make way for the current philosophy of the time. There are some truths that are 'hidden' from most of us, but that doesn't make them necessarily make them paranormal.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I agree completely shamus, it may not be "para"normal, but it is to us who don't. I suspect there are a select few out there that know exactly what it is, but want to keep it a secret for whatever reason.

Real research in this field gets taken over by sell outs who fake it for money, or just get ridiculed with the spirit equivelent of a weather balloon...Does anyone even do truthful study of this anymore? Is it just the US that stifles 'para'normal research?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Not sure what I believe really are these things paranormal or just normal? But here's my story or at least some selected events in my life that brought me to join the search for knowledge.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's also a link in my signature to the same.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus

In regards to real research and truthful study: I guess that again depends on interpretation of what *real* research and *truthful* study is.

But - one guy from our country whom I know who is currently researching into aspects of my cultures (Maori) perspectives and utilisation of what may be termed 'the paranormal', is a guy called Ron Ngata.

We had a meeting as what he is researching is essentially what the service I work within does. Incorporating our own cultural healers with our clinical healers...combining *assessments* by our Seers/Hearers/Knowers with the more westernised clinical assessments.

It is also one of my roles within the service to record the outcomes of what our Cultural Therapist does in his work.
Cultural Therapist is really just a nice non-threatening Western term for Tohunga (Healer in our culture).

I work alongside our services Tohunga - as I have done for much of my life alongside other Tohunga - and in some ways assist him in his work.
I also record what happens in those sessions.
In some ways that is research.

I've witnessed and experienced many amazing things.
Sat there while this Tohunga has described to a tee the lay-out of houses he has never been to, the exact location of objects in that house, told people about many things they have never shared within anyone before, heard the bones of someones leg crack back into place and see that person stand and walk out of the room again...seen stuff bouncing around rooms, heard all manner of things...you name it...

...hence why I believe...its just an everyday thing in the context of my culture, how and where I've grown up, and what I do now...

Anyhoo...Heres an article on Ron Ngata from last year

Peace.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It is arrogant to make the assumption that the paranormal is not real just because science can't prove it. Most of science relies on faith, otherwise tried and true "laws" would not be proven false. The world tends to hear paranormal and assume a typically biased mindset. Science can't explain everything yet and that's not just about the paranormal. Me I've seen and experienced quite a few things that are not explainable with "science". Most science is just theory anyway and trying to use psychology which is a very poorly understood science to disprove paranormal really doesn't cut it.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join