It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embedding a YouTube Video May Cost You a Bundle in ASCAP Bills

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Embedding a YouTube Video May Cost You a Bundle in ASCAP Bills

gawker.com

Fresh off a court victory against Google's YouTube, ASCAP tells us it is setting its sights on users of the video-sharing site. Welcome to the exciting world of copyright licensing, blogger; you may already owe gobs of money!

ASCAP licenses the performance rights for music, collecting royalties for its songwriter members when their songs are played in certain contexts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I wonder if or how this will affect this site. This is a for-profit website, but it isn't the owners embedding the videos. Either way, this is a disturbing development and there's no doubt that soon there will be more and more regulations on the way people can 'use' Youtube (and other) videos. Hope this gets worked out in our favor.

TA

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
They will have to buy a license, once the RIAA starts going after bloggers and sites like these.

It will probably be outrageous too. Hopefully not, but either way this is BS, the RIAA is refusing to adapt to the changing paradigm.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
i would just assume that people will switch from youtube to something else if it gets too inconvenient

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I'm all for intellectual property rights, but behaving like a bunch of gangsters like the RIAA/MPAA are doing is not the way to go about protecting them.

TA

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

That's one option, but it may only be a temporary one. The RIAA/MPAA would eventually get to the new host sites, one way or another. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

TA

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I side with the Music Industry on this one. An artist should get paid when his work is reproduced. It is no diferent than playing it on the radio or in a bar or whatever.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

I wonder if or how this will affect this site. This is a for-profit website, but it isn't the owners embedding the videos. Either way, this is a disturbing development and there's no doubt that soon there will be more and more regulations on the way people can 'use' Youtube (and other) videos. Hope this gets worked out in our favor.

If this does go global then all sites are affected, regardless if the site owner embed's or not. The moment your allowing such content to be displayed then your are indirectly embedding and due to advertising running through the site you are in fact drawing unique hits thus increasing profits on your ads due to traffic.

Conclusion,

At some point everyone who embed's on a site will be asked to make a "donation"

P.S.
Similar to disallow threads to continue as they are deemed as a negative attraction point. As previous models have shown, when allowing topics of a particular nature to flourish they eventually create negative growth causing a downtown on attendance=clicks=unique=re-visits. I guess you get the point now.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Youtubers will just have to switch to music that is in the public domain, create their own music or leave music off. Most times I turn the music off when I watch UFO vids its distracting

Seems a simple solution

I think its the music videos they are going after mainly, And doesn't youtube have a shared file system of music that is ok to use?

[edit on 8-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Actually, I agree with you, but there's got to be a better way to make sure the artists are justly compensated. For instance, running short ads in the video clips and paying the artists with the profit.

TA

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

That is done alreaady in some cases. i am sure the music industry might be ok with that as long as it was universal and fairly compensated the musicians they represent.

The problem now is that people are just stealing other peoples work without getting permission or giving compensation.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

So am I, but this is not about the artist getting paid this is about the Music Labels getting paid.

Most independent artist could care less if their music is being downloaded or embedded on peoples sites, because that is promotion for them.

This is all about the big four music labels fattening their pockets not the artist.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Remember when the RIAA went after Napster? How'd that work out for them. Let them keep blowing money and looking horrible in the process.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
If this does go global then all sites are affected, regardless if the site owner embed's or not. The moment your allowing such content to be displayed then your are indirectly embedding and due to advertising running through the site you are in fact drawing unique hits thus increasing profits on your ads due to traffic.

I would assume there would be a time period to removing said content. I can't see them enforcing this on everyone before the regs are in place. Won't hit me much as most of the ones I embed are ones with original content and commentary, like an Ed Mitchell interview

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Kazaa took over Napster...

Something will take over youtube

This is a shame because youtube really was full of useful information and now it will dwindle away

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

The problem now is that people are just stealing other peoples work without getting permission or giving compensation.

That is a problem. But it just seems like the MPAA/RIAA are treating everyone guilty until proven innocent. They coerce ISP's into imposing per-month download caps and throttling download speeds, and I just think that's wrong.

Musicians, filmmakers, authors etc. do deserve to earn as much as possible from their works, but I shouldn't have to suffer through things like the above mentioned just because some jerk out there doesn't want to pay to listen to the new Kanye West song.

TA

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Musicians, filmmakers, authors etc. do deserve to earn as much as possible from their works, but I shouldn't have to suffer through things like the above mentioned just because some jerk out there doesn't want to pay to listen to the new Kanye West song.

Well I agree with that, and I am sure the Music Industry doesnt like spending millions of dollars trying to combat this stuff either. Its just like everything, we all get screwed when the few break the rules.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft

I side with the Music Industry on this one. An artist should get paid when his work is reproduced. It is no diferent than playing it on the radio or in a bar or whatever.

But the artists aren't getting paid. Its the producers.

So WTF????

You support executives stealing artists music, and then selling it as if it were their own ???

Wow you must hate artists?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes some time frame would be put into place. But this also rely's on Google's data mining engine to weed out the millions of sites which have embedded videos.

I guess they would single out high ranking site's in the beginning and request money from them to continue to maintain their status amongst the elite. Eventually they would look further down the ladder of rankings and continue the process. This could also provide a positive response as people might eventually be motivated to post quality videos regarding topics of interest.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

It isn't just producers/executives who earn their money from the sell of recordings. There's a lot that goes into the making of a professional recording. The people who work to record, mix and master the music deserve to get payed for their work as much as anyone else, and stealing music is stealing from them as well as everyone else involved in the process.

TA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join