It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Year Smoker Ready To Quit! Support thread!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Take it 24 hrs at a time. Or even 1 hour at a time. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ansiroth

He's obviously never been that addicted to something. The way he demonized the entire group together as a lower patch of society. Many refined people are smokers too, its an enjoyable habit really, there are just alot of drawbacks, and they keep getting more numerous by the day.

What exactly is enjoyable about it?

Isnt your enjoyment no different to a crack head getting a fix?
That sudden injection of manmade drugs pumping through your body, releasing endorphins in the brain?

Why is it pleasurable?

The smell?
The stains?
The cough?

Or maybe its the longterm affects?

The cancer?
The breathe?
The skin?
Or maybe you find the even longer term effects mor epleasurable?

like your children, brothers or parents staring over you in hospital, when a machine is breathing for you?
Perhaps you like the idea of your kids wiping your a$$ for you when your so overcome with tumours, you can barely move?

Smoking is pleasurable becuase your addicted to drugs.
There's no sugarcoating here.
You cant claim discrimination.

Whats worse is you hurt others around you.
You make others around you suffer
And you clog up the medical system.

Greenzie, im so happy for you really.
Your taking the most righteous positive step anyone can take here.
Surely, your quitting because you see all the bad things that come from smoking.

dont you just shake your head at these people still trying to convince you smoking is positive?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Greenize use ATS to help you,other than the moral support; I've not quit, but I can sit here for several hours and read the most interesting and annoying post, then realize i've been here 4 hours or so and still not need a cig. It may help for me a little more as 5 years ago I decided to not smoke in the house, Wife love that as the house doesn't smell like an ashtray now.

Just an idea to help keep you busy during those rough times, but try to stay away from the most annoying post to keep the emotiona level down as that usualy is what kick in the realization " hey I've not had a smoke in a while"

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I’m going to be evil for a minute.
At least hating me( well getting ma at me) for a moment might stem the craving...(hopefully not push you into one)!

Remember the sports wear add from ages ago? Sorry I forgot what brand of wear it belonged to.
But their add is so obvious and true that is gets me angry just because it‘s so well, true and obvious!

You’re going to stop smoking?

*Just Do It*

(Runs and hides to dodge flying objects)...

Good luck to you!
Be strong!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Oh! I almost forgot!

Since I hear the collaborative writing *The Voyage of the Penelope and the Yydryl* is addictive (and believe me it is!) why not join the Yydryl?

We need some a few good aliens aboard (the Yydrly) and it might help you keep yourself busy!

It would take a lot of reading to get into the story, but, it would be great to have you! (I really like your *Haunted* collaborative)...

Here's the working thread and the link above takes you to the story of course.

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Look. You want to stop? You just stop. Did it long time ago. I just stopped because I no longer wanted to do it. It's that simple. If you continue to smoke? it's because you choose to. It's like anything in your life. You realize you don't like it. And you really want to change? Change.

I knew people that quit smoking before I did. They became serious "nazis" about it all. Making rules, dictating, constantly sermonizing. That sucked.

One day I just quit. And I never dictated to people what they did on their own. I never sermonized them. Yes, some people who knew I quit smoking would apologize and ask if they could smoke around me. I said I didn't care either way. Smoke or not smoke, It's your choice. You smoking is not going to "make" me smoke.

Just put them down. If you really don't want to, you won't do it.

that's very true in the words of Nike - Just do it. throw away your cigs now, today its not going to make it easier on your specified time.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I recently quit smoking and I can honestly tell you there is no better feeling in the world. My advice to you would be to not count the days that you have quit for... this creates the illusion that you are giving up something and seeing how long you will last. When you quit you just say never again it's not supposed to be an endurance thing. I had serious earache and acid reflux. These symptoms disappeared after about 2 weeks... it was amazing. You will feel sick for a couple of days but its nothing compared to kow you feel now as a smoker.
Good luck... and remember that a cigarette can't control your life.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Niacin is very similar chemically to Nicotine, and there are Niacin receptors in your brain. When you quit smoking, those receptors start to feel a deficiency of what they thought was a nutrient. So, if you keep giving your body something similar, your mind won't know the difference

Link

I suggest getting Inositol hexanicotinate & ascorbic acid. At least 1 gram daily of each in divided doses. You may take up to 4 grams daily, however, liver toxicity has been reported at doses of 3 grams in rare occasions. I personally take 3 grams INH for other reasons with no problems.

Good luck

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Good luck to you. I cant give you much advice on quitting but you wanted support not advice so i do support ya. I quit after 10 years and it was easy for me the day i truly decided to quit. All the other attempts were half hearted attempts. I used to try to quit by saying after this pack or after this carton is gone i am done but all i was doing was trying to talk myself into something i wasnt truly commited to. The day i decided to quit i thre the pack and the lighter away that second and never looked back. That was in 1996. My wife at the time smoked still and asked why i didnt give her the pack i was smoking. I said because i needed to throw it away. Not think i could go back. What was done was done and now i am through with it. I have told people this and i truly believe that if your not 100% mentally commited to stop this second then your not 100% and you will backslide but i know we aint all built the same and some people have to do things in their own way so i wish you the best of luck. I pray you do it truly. I am happy to not smoke anymore,

I used to wonder what i would do on breaks at work. What am i gonna do just stand there or sit there with nothing to do? Its funny but i just couldnt imagine myself without a cig in my hand. Now i wonder how i ever did it. BTW my wife quit about a year after me. We divorced 3 years ago and now she is back to smoking. What a idiot IMO. Why would anyone go back?

Anyways one thing is to try new things and break other habits you used to do that fed your need for cigarettes. Example for me was bowling. I smoked alot then or when i drank when out with friends. I smoked alot when i spent alot of time at my comp. the idea is to break away from your "routines" that allowed you those smoking times and try to refocus yourself into things that dont allow you that or anything that will remind your body and mind that this is usually smoke time so wheres my cig.
Just a thought. Wish ya the best of luck ATS'er

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
nm

[edit on 9-7-2009 by DirtyPete]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Sunday it will be two weeks since my last cigarette! I started smoking when I was 13 and am now 51, you do the math.

For me I was ready, every time I lit a smoke the thought of the damage it was doing to my lungs was very powerful. I would only take a few puffs off it and put it out. If you are ready, and it sounds like you are, go for it.

I used the second step patches and the nicotine gum at the direction of my doctor. She wanted the patch to help with the withdrawal and the gum to help me ride out the cravings. Between the two of them it was not nearly as hard as other times when I have tried cold turkey or using one or the other.

I know you can do it. Cravings only last about 60 seconds, distract yourself for that minute and you will make it one hour at a time. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Hi Greenzie, I'm proud of you for starting this thread because I don't think it was easy for you to do. Just reading all the member comments so full of support and care makes me want to cry. No matter what, you have made a significant step forward.

I started smoking when I was 12. I hated it, they made me sick to my stomach and dizzy but I kept on anyway because I wanted to be cool. Now, 36 years later I'm still a smoker. I have times when I want to quit - I want to jump straight to being a non-smoker without all the horrible physical, mental and emotional stress. The quitting part scares me.

I quit once for 30 days when I was 24. After 30 solid days of withdrawals and constant thoughts about smoking, I gave in. The first one afterwards felt like a log between my lips and it made me just as nauseous and dizzy as the first one 12 years earlier.

I quit again in basic training, sort of. There are ways of getting them even though new recruits aren't allowed to smoke.

Now, reading this thread I'm starting to feel like I Can Do It! At least I hope so. I'm so tired of beating myself up about it, or noticing that I'm actually in denial about it so I won't have to face the prospect of all that discomfort, etc. I'm a coward. I don't want to be a coward. The struggle internally is one I'd rather not face. But, I clicked on this thread and now must face myself honestly, like you have and are doing.

I'm really proud of you, no matter what!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I have been a non smoker for 10 years. The one thing that keeps me as a non smoker is I will NEVER go through quitting again. IT is the hardest thing you will ever go through, but it is the most gratifying thing you will ever accomplish. If you can quit, you will have proven your strength over addiction. Whenever you crave one, think about the reasons you are quitting. Try not to eat to take the place of a smoke. (40 pounds) And when you are around a smoker, pay attention to how they smell. Don't be one of those annoying x smokers, just try to notice it. That was another thing that keeps me from doing it. And don't be afraid to ask for help. I submit that anybody who has quit will support you 100% and do anything they can to help you. Good luck and remember how strong you are. You can do it.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Good luck

I've been a smoker for 32 years - typically a pack a day. I've quit several times, typically for a year or 2 at a time. The last time I went cold turkey. It was hell, but it worked better than any of the other methods I tried - hypnosis, patches, gum, lozenges, inhalers, and wellbutrin.
The first few days were tough. Then it gets better. I always found that 3 weeks later I'd go through a sudden horrible battle to pick up again. But it doesn't last if you ride it out. And each bout is gets shorter.
I've also found that when I pick up anytime after I quit, even 2 years later, because I'm tough and can have just one! It won't hook me again! is all that it takes to get me hooked. Even if I avoid it for weeks after.
I've been in the planning stages of becoming a non-smoker for a few months now. I only know 3 other smokers at this point. I got some ECigs - planning on using those for the really bad moments because the worst part of my addiction is psychological. Typically, I quit coffee too. Not sure about that right now. I'm definitely joining a gym - to give me something else to do, and hopefully boost my energy a bit.
I typically don't gain weight when I quit, or ever really, so I'm not overly worried about that. The part I hate is that I am so tired for the first 3 weeks. If I'm not doing something, I just fall asleep right where I'm sitting. After that I always find I have more energy and I talk a lot! I also sleep much better at night. Also, as silly as it sounds, my vision improves noticeably after a few weeks and annoying little health issues seem to disappear too.
It is funny so many of you describe cigarettes as "your friend" as I've said that each time I've done this. I always say "my best friend cigarette passed away". That is just the mindset I have to put myself into. The addiction, for me, is that I truly enjoy inhaling smoke. It is a compulsion.
Good luck to everyone! I'll soon be joining you
This thread was a wonderful idea!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
hey bud. best of luck this is gonna be an amazing accomplishment for you. and a life altering one for your personality, health, and wallet. youll be like 600 bucks richer a month!! thats over 6grand a YEAR!!! buy me a new car eh?

anyways the advice i can give is a general rule in life and one my friends used to stave off. dont think about how much you want one or even how you dont want one. even if you are thinking about how much you dont want cigarettes, you are still thinking about cigarettes. you have to say you dont want them and BELIEVE yourself. then forget abotu it. focus on something else for a few minutes and your awareness and imagination will go to that.

the best thing you can do is from the start, do NOT even give yourself the option!! no means no and keep it that way. become aware of your thoughts and feelings that arise. and say NO MEANS NO!!! believe that and it will be a big stepping stone for you.

good luck buddy.

oh and you may want to look into eft. just google "eft for quitting smoking"

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Wishing you luck.

Its a chore but possible. The only tips I have are avoid stress if possible and mental 'excuses' to smoke.

Also, and Im serious, drink buttermilk. That alone made it possible for me to quit.The taste of the buttermilk seemed to somehow satisfy the urge for a cig. Very likely not scientific but in my case it helped.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Yer good luck with it!
Both my parents have quit. My mum after about 25 years and my dad after about 40 years of smoking! So you can definitely do it. They are so much happier now they have quit.
Good luck!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Quitting smoking cigarettes is not as hard as smokers like to think.

I smoked cigarettes for 5 years, tried to quit a couple times (not very hard, however) and failed, until the last time I tried. I smoked about a pack a day, and I can honestly tell you that if you truely want to quit smoking cigarettes, it's NOT THAT HARD!

All you have to do is quit. Just... Quit...

Now I know there's gonna be some of you whining and complaining about how it's so hard to quit because of the oral fixation/nicotine addiction and blah blah blah. Those are all just excuses that your ego uses to retain it's sense of "ME!"

So for those of you who say, "I can't quit, I've tried and it's too hard," what you are saying is "My ego means too much to me to change who I am, thus I will continue to slowly kill myself."

My best advice: Keep yourself occupied and don't dwell on cigarettes! If cigarettes pop-up in your mind, immediately switch your thoughts to something else.

P.S. YOU CAN DO IT!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Grapefruit juice. If you generally dislike grapefruit juice then you are even better off.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I quit smoking it isn't easy but if you have a mind set you can do it.
I will hope for the best for you and remember if one way doesn't work there are many other ways to try and quit.

You are now the little chu=chu, you can do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join