It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Year Smoker Ready To Quit! Support thread!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Thats a great point! I promise that I won't!! My parents smoke, my brothers smoke, my son smokes, my husband smokes...I love smokers!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Wow, this thread grew fast...S&F for sharing Greenize!

For everyone quitting... congratulations on your decision, I know it was not easy and I sure it has taken sometime to come to this paradigm shift.

I would like to share my experience...

Your life will change when you quit. Yes, everything you mentioned Greenize you enjoy/love about smoking you will miss, but while you are giving up something, you need to add something to replace it, something active like yoga, Pilates, a class (college/university), civic organization, etc…

Oh… you need to exercise because you will put on some weight, so keep that in mind, but it is part of the process!

I quit six weeks ago myself after 30 years of the habit and I feel like I lost my best friend, but it was time and I have not look backed. Working and graduate school keep me busy and I only think about it when I am stressed or during extended down time.

I did not have to quit my morning coffee, though I did give up good beer, red wine, and single malt Scotch… life does go on!

Keys to Quitting

Wellbutrin to help with the psychosis, prescription from a Physician
Nicotine patches/program
And a Good understanding of self

You will be successful… patience and forgiveness will be your best ally

This is what has been successful in my plight to end this lifelong habit!

Ciao!

rgs

[Edit for spelling]

[edit on 03/31/2009 by rgseymour]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I just recently quit smoking, only after 4 years of it though. I haven't the time to read the whole thread, just letting you know i support you and heres the only advice i can think of that you might be able to utilize.

You just have to do it, having a cigarette is just a thought in most cases. The severe craving that sounds like- "That's it, i gotta have a cigarette" Lasts only 20 seconds if you deny yourself, granted it might get you constantly, but the initial thought only lasts 20 seconds.

Good luck, if you want an inspiring ats story, i'd search for the thread "Detoxification, amazing results" That guy has quite a story that will motivate you to take care of your body no matter what.

You can do it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Good luck to you all! I stopped smoking after 30 years with the help of Chantix, my family, my friends, my employees and customers even. I realize, I was fighting an addiction to a chemical with a chemical, but it worked well for me. I took it for two months.

I too set up a "Quit Date", a Friday, but ended up quitting the Wednesday before. I told EVERYONE I was done. I expected slips, and in the first week, I smoked one cig with a friend, lit one for my husband, and tried to talk my husband out of two or three more over the first month. After two weeks though, I knew I'd done it.

It was the expense. It was not wanting to fail those people who encouraged me. To prove to myself that I had the self control to do it.

You can do it, you know.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by jd140

Thats a great point! I promise that I won't!! My parents smoke, my brothers smoke, my son smokes, my husband smokes...I love smokers!!

I quit because I became a lone wolf... everyone quit and it became apparent I was the odd man out.

Comments became intrusive like... oh, you just had a smoke or I can smell from across the room...

rgs

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I smoked for well over 20 yrs and just quit smoking 3 months ago cold turkey. The first 3 days were tough, VERY tough. My body physically and mentally went thru many emotions in those first three days. This might sound crazy but what worked for me was everytime I got a craving I ate a twizzler. I went through bags of them!

I also stopped Drinking for about 10 weeks when I quit smoking. I was never a big drinker, just a social drinker, but I knew if I were to drink in the early stages of quitting smoking I would relapse.

I still get cravings after 3 months but I just suck it up and deal with them.

I wish you the best of luck.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Grimbone]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Good luck Greenzie!!!

I think I'm on day 20, or something like that without a smoke. It totally sucked for the first week but I think I'm past the hard part. Not going to lie and tell ya I don't want one because I do, but at least I don't feel like pulling my hair out anymore when I don't get one.

I love to smoke but I hated the unfair taxation. Let em bleed it out of someone else, they won't get another dime from tobacco off of me.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimbone

Someone suggesting twizzlers to me today! I am glad that you are hanging there!! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

Congratulations!! That goes to all of you here that have already quit!! I look forward to saying " I have been smoke free for 30 days"!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Fantastic your quitting.

Why people continue to kill themselves over nothing but weakness astounads me.
Its like they dont care there family will be devestated when they die, over a fag.
Its like they dont care about health system they are clogging up, all for a dirty habit.

The key is to keep busy.
Try and fill every hour of your day.
Do new things, join a gym, go for jogs/walks
Join a sports team
Start a new hobby
start a nice new healthy diet

If you keep busy you'll end up forgetting about it quicker.
If you sit around home bored thinking of it, you will fail.

Smokers, such a blemish on human society, its sad to watch someone overcome with such weakness.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Wow! Have you never been addicted to anything? I think that alot of smokers have the desire to quit... we are not the scum of the earth. I have tried to quit before, it is horrible...I however am commited this time! Thanks for your support

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
He's obviously never been that addicted to something. The way he demonized the entire group together as a lower patch of society. Many refined people are smokers too, its an enjoyable habit really, there are just alot of drawbacks, and they keep getting more numerous by the day.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Hi Greenize,

I wrote this in the Short Story forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My husband and I quit smoking on May 19th this year. That same day we were told he had a heart attack. We decided to go cold turkey, after 35 years of smoking. I'll admit it's not easy. I even find it hard to write without a cig. The first two weeks I sucked on cinnamon sticks that helped. I think about all the money were saving when those smoke demons try to make me cave in!
Celery and carrot sticks work good too. My husband seems to be doing better than me, but I will NOT give in! It seems to get somewhat easier everyday. Thanks you so much for this thread.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

Thank you for sharing yours and your husbands story! I know that it is going to be hard. I wish you both the best! I do your husband is well on his way to a healthier heart! Hang in there and keep us posted!!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Wow ..I felt the exact same way. You would never think a cig could feel like a friend but it does when its time to quit.

You can do this! I quit exactly 120 days ago, due to a couple of bouts with bronchitis and just being flat out tired of smoking. I started out with chantix, even w/all the warnings behind the drug. I only took it for 1 week and then totally quit smoking all together.

I kept reading as much as I could online about all the horrible things smoking does to your body hoping to stay disgusted and scared.

I also keep a counter on my laptop reminding me how many days its been since I quit.

So far so good....You are going to feel better and better every single day! No more coughing and wheezing, smelling like smoke.

It's great Good luck

[edit on 9-7-2009 by skindoc]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I wrestled for 10 years, trained all the time, was a state champion twice and placed second once.

I spent 5 of those 10 training year round and I accomplished all of this while smoking.

Since then I have stayed in extrodinary shape. In the 13 years I have lived away from home I have never been to the doctor due to illness as I have never had more then a sniffle.

I would put my physical fitness and well being up against yours any day of the week.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Thats the type of person I was referring to as anti smoking nazis.

Beware the holier than thou syndrome.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by skindoc

Congrats!
I do think of it as a friend...it comforts me when I am down, clams me when I am stressed...I could go on and on...but then you understand that! Thank you for sharing and best wishes!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

drugs, cigeretttes...

yeah addiction blows like you dont believe.

it sucks when your friends, room mates, family, partners are all on the same Sh1t..

so you suck it up, take it on the chin and move on with life.

Ive over-come lots, im not saying i was any worse or better than anyone. thats BS, comparing is useless, because each person fights there own battle here.

what disgusts me are people who winge and moan about not being able to quit, then they criticise those who criticise them

'' id take my strenght against you any day ''

'' have you ever tried to quit ''

news flash..

Its your life.
Its your health
Its your families misery

if you absolutley had to, you'd take a few weeks of work, stock up heaps of simple food in a bedroom, setup a tv and a toilet, and have your best friend crash in the other room, making sure you sweated this crap out.

JD140, before you get macho, dont pretend like your bigger and better.

Congrats, you quit. your strong.. I and you have something in common.

But lets not be niave here..

People dont quit because they are weak minded.
Those who quit are strong minded.

Goes to say, I hate to admit it, but my best friend of 25yrs is weak minded.
He's my brother, and i sigh every time i imagine him drying of cancer, especially when ive been there his whole life telling him

'' dude, quit.. c'mon man, ill crash at your joint you can get of that crap ''

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Whoa... so now there are even more people joining in and quitting? How cool is that?! Way to go guys ~ you rock!

I can tell you one thing from experience... The non-smokers in your lives are gonna LOVE you. Especially if you're around kids. As a youngster, it was horrible getting stuck in a confined area, such as a car, with smokers.

Whenever our family went on long trips to visit relatives, my mom didn't want to mess up her foo-foo hairdo, so she didn't roll down the windows. When you have two adults smoking every 15 mins in a closed up car, it is NOT pleasant. They didn't want to stop the car for every smoke and were very addicted, so I used to get violently ill as a child because of that.

Words cannot express how thankful I was the day my parents quit! There will be people very pleased with your decision. Woot!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join