It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Year Smoker Ready To Quit! Support thread!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Tell me you made the 24 hour mark. I know you did! Good job.

Hi Greenzie
Are you going to get your patch today? We'd like to know so that we can cheer you on. If you've decided to hold off on quitting for awhile, let us know and we'll move along.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
There is this huge anxiety about quitting, and all of us that have been through it know that fear. But I think quitting is as hard as you tell yourself it's going to be. If you tell yourself you will be irritable and unhappy and craving all the time, then your brain will fulfill your expectations. Make your brain work for you in this endeavor. Repeat several times a day "Quitting is easy. Quitting is not big deal. I can quit with ease". Repeat it even though you probably don't believe it at first. The more you say this to yourself, your subconscious will slowly come to believe it. Say things like "I am a healthy, happy nonsmoker" "I am calm and at ease without cigarettes". Call it brainwashing, or a daily affirmation, or even some kind of hypnosis, but I think your subconscious listens to everything you tell it. So tell it what you want it to do. Best of luck. I will be following this thread and will be sending you positive energy. You can do this.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by spookchild]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spookchild

Thanks for that.

I've smoked for 30 years. It's been many years since I even considered giving it up. I do want to stop. My house stinks, my clothes stink, my car stinks, my kids smell like cigarettes, I'm killing myself, I spent $45 today on a carton that will last me one week, and I hate having to go out late at night because I realized that I only have 1 cigarette left and even though I'm going to bed I know that if I don't go right now I'll have to go in the morning before I get ready for the day.

I just hate it. But for some reason I just don't take the steps to stop it. What's that about?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Congrats for taking the step. I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for over 10 years and tried everything to quit. Patches, gum, Welbruten. None of it worked for me.

I tried Chantix and it worked. Took it for 6 months and just stopped smoking. no big deal

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I smoked and chewed tobacco for over fifteen years. When I was finally disgusted with it to no end, I quit. Almost seventeen months now.

Are you disgusted with the habit? Then be done with it.

Two things helped me. One a friend told me, and the other I read.

First, know this: every time you get a craving, it WILL go away, and the intervals between cravings will lengthen. It is paramount you understand this.

Second, if you cheat, the progress you made is reverted to ZERO. The healing your lungs have gone through is reversed, the level of nicotine in your body returns to previous levels, and you just feel like a piece of crap for not waiting another two minutes until the craving passed.

Just do it.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Quitting smoking starts with will power. You have to want to quit. Work it down to 1 cig a day then just kick it. Oh and let's not forget the immediate benefits of quitting... better health, not stinking like a ashtray and saving money.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have had a gutfull already. I dont smoke a lot, but god I so want one right now... I will admit I caved in and to date have had 3 smokes, but, I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!! RIGHT ... NOW.... AND.....................NOW.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hi theeerrreeeee frrieennndssss....I want one...but i am refraining....I have not gone cold turkey, but I have cut back to over half what I was smoking....I am going this weekend and getting an ecig...I am finding that when I resist the urge to smoke I am cramming my pie hole full of chips and what not...Grrrrr..... this is soooooo hard....I am gonna win though!!!!
So far my head is not rotating 360 degrees and I haven't shot fire outta my arse so I think its gonna be ok!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

I feel your pain! This stinks...lol everyone says it will pass....we shall see I guess!!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Three of my relatives all quit cold turkey at the same time. From what I observed, the easiest way to quit is to replace your behaviors. They would all eat a piece of candy when they wanted a cigarette. Not one has gone back since and none of them has had a relapse. The continued exposure to smoke outweighs the threat of a few extra pounds.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Try to read Alan Karr "The shot way to give up smoking"

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
My first post :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Second :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well I hope others are doing as good as I am.
I quit cold turkey last Thursday night/Early Friday morning and haven't touched a ciggy since.

It hardly bothers me now, I have the added bonus of being around non-smokers and I think that helps a lot.
I have stuck to my healthier diet too and invested in a steamer for veggies and such.
I am practically a on a full vegetarian diet but I aren't doing it because I have something against meat, I will still eat it occasionally but I just feel a lot healthier in many ways with my practically all fruit and veg diet.

So all in all I feel confident the cigs are history, I just hope I don't fall back to them as I have done before.
It was awkward at times and I so nearly gave in to the temptation but I quickly changed the situation, walked away from the smokes, found something to do and tried to take my mind off until the craving passed.

I don't have craving now...well maybe a little but thats more habit than anything but I am certain they are gone.
I did my quitting with my cigs still in easy reach and still staring me in the face but I won't advise that, I did that more for me an extra challenge.

So thanks to Greenize for the inspiration to use this time rather than any to quit, it was always 'next week' or some other excuse and this thread gave me the perfect excuse to quit now.
I hope I aren't the only one who is confidently out of the tunnel, if your still in their then please no 'just one's' as that is the worst thing to do.
No one drags, no sitting in second hand smoke and to be honest I don't think any of the replacement aid's help as I did it easier this time without than when I used patches, gum and tablets in the past.
But everybody is different and what might work for one might not for another and vice-versa.

Mints or sweets (candy) of some kind to slowly suck or chew may help occupy your mouth and maybe twiddling a pen between your fingers or typing (posts on ATS of course
) may help if your hand feels a little lost.

Good luck to everyone and trust me, it can be done and is so worth it.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by keepithush]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo2167
reply to post by Greenize

Hi friend.
I myself have been smoking for 30 years.
I actually love smoking and smoke around 30/40 a day.
I've tried stopping several times, patches, gum, inhalators.

Even the thought of quitting breaks me out in a cold sweat.

Until recently.

My daughter bought me an e-cig for fathers day, and this is my 3rd day
without a real smoke, a record for me.

The thing that helps me with the e-cig is the whole effect.
You inhale and get the throat hit then blow smoke rings.
Whilst it is the early stages this is the best thing I have ever
tried to help me quit smoking and if this doesn't work i'll happily
smoke the rest of my life away with real smokes.

Epic Fail.

Off them for 5 whole days and miserable as hell.

Here's to another 30 years ofthe hard stuff!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
My prayer to all those who really want to quit smoking. I know it is a terrible habit that has these, your servants, in bondage. It distracts them from the things that you, dear God, would have them enjoy. It takes your servants from those they love and binds them in a tiny prison of self fulfillment and relaxation. Dear God, bring your power down upon this evil. Take it from us to fully enjoy the life that you alone provide. The life that you would have us live. Remove this curse that keeps in bondage and keep it far from us. Open our eyes and let us realize the real peace and fulfillment of your presence. Show us your power and crush this horrible addiction that plagues us. Amen

My wife smokes, as does my mother who is still alive. I know this is a tough one to break. I know that God could remove it. We just have to have faith. I don't care if you believe or not. This is my prayer. Believe it or not. Strength to those who really want to quit. My prayers are with you.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have to say I feel soooo good. Still get that Morning craving... but manage to bypass....Good work to everyone as well....

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I just wanted to comment... that at the same time I gave up my cigarettes addiction (5 months) - I've also stopped drinking coffee (I was a huuuuuge coffee addict!- drinking big cups of it both in the morning and afternoon, sometimes also on midnights).

Apart from that I've also lost interest in any kind of alcoholic drink.

So, it's all good!- but I've a new addiction...: TEA!!

Am I lost or what?- hehe... I drink up to 3 cups per day. Of different kinds. My boyfriends nods at me like 'crazy girl'. LOL. But he's a big smoker so, he doesn't get it anyway. Hahaha.

But in a serious tone, I used to hate tea. It's funny how I've come to love it.

I guess different things works for different people. It's all a state of mind-!

*edited* to correct that actually it's 5 months

[edit on 27/7/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thank you! That is truly a beautiful thing and I thank you for the prayers!! I have not totally quit yet...but I am working on it, and prayer is always a part of anything that I do!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Just wanted to say that I am smoking the electric cigarette and have gone 6 weeks now without smoking a real cigarette. I smoked for 35 years. I have had no problems switching. No smell, no ashes, no butts, and most of all no cravings for a real cigarette. I am getting the nicotine which comes from eggplant and tomatoes but no tar or chemicals. I love this thing. It is definetely an alternative to cigarettes for those that want to quit cigarettes.

I smoke a particular brand....some are better than others. Research if you plan to try an electric cigarette. Look for good customer service.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
FYI, the majority of heart attacks occur in those of whom have recently quit smoking. Try to stay away from eating carbohydrates in place of smoking. In fact, I would try and avoid any simple/processed carbs.

Insulin, released in response to high blood sugar, triggers the sympathetic nervous system which can cause arterial spasms, constricting the artery. It just so happens that heart attacks are three times more likely to occur after a high carb meal.

Yay for quiting!!!

-Dev

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I just quit today for the 100th time.
My motivation is I have been playing tennis, bball, biking and jogging ALL summer. Sports have given me a good reason and I feel much healthier on the outside. Now I am working on the inside.

I am using these nicorette lozenges which seem to calm me down but check this out, these lozenges have addictive properties as well.

Anyway I am posting because this time I REALLLY MEAN IT.

PS I am also reducing alcohol content as that's a really big trigger.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join