It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Confirm U.S. Has World’s Biggest Oil Reserves

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Reading this topic reminds me of Einsteins quote"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

The idea about getting off fossil fuels is ludicrous. Not counting transportation fuel, 5% of the elctricity generated in the US comes from renewable sources of energy, hydoelectric,wind, solar and biomass. For all you glue heads that have gone organic biomass is burning wood. Of the renewables 97% is hydroelectric. Therefore the fabulous renewables represent 3 % of the 5%. The idea that doubling wind and solar will have an effect on a the energy balance is laughable. Add in it is uneconomic without government subsidy and that the government will soon discontinue its support because its broke ought to make anyone see that it is fruitless.

Anyone with any knowledge other than what is put out by the Enviromental Defense Fund knows that oil and gas will continue to increase in price. Our only short term viable energy solution is Nuclear to avoid economic chaos. For the glue heads more people died at a bridge in Chappaquiddic riding in Ted Kennedy's car that have died in nuclear power accidents in the US. Also the actual toxic waste generated by all nuclear power plants in the US wouldn't fill one semi trailer. If we didn't add x-ray film gloves and uniforms that the EPA insists are nuclear waste, and we built breeder reactors disposal wouldn't be a problem.

"Life is hard, it's even harder if your stupid" John Wayne

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We have to get beyond using things like oil, and raping our planet. Mother earth is a sentient being and we have clean alternatives. Plastics, which should be quickly biodegradable, can be made from plants. Water can be desalinated and deserts brought back and hydroponic greenhousing in stories, levels, can ensure food and industry use of plants.

We have got to stop thinking we have the right to empty those caverns in the earth, thinking it does nothing to the surface.

There is no reason for nuclear power, depleted uranium, clohting and shoes and household non-recylclables filling our dumpsters!

Stop it! We will face catastrophes, beyind nwo and their destruction and prodding nature aside, if we don't start to REVERE mother earth, nature, and our habitiat and determine to make NO FOOTPRINT, in the sand, recycle evertying, share big items, use nature wisely, do not deplete inner earth, nor deplete oceans. She is fully capable of renewing herself.

Its time to be the change we want.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

First off, I agree with you. I believe that free energy exists and everyone should benefit from it.

Here is a link that I think everyone should read.

My moms family owns land in the Bakken fields in ND and they have mineral rights. My moms family should be swimming in cash, they are not. Why? I firmly believe that oil companies knew that eventually, the technology would be present to extract oil from neighboring lands without paying the mineral rights to many land owners. Directional boring has done just that. Oil companies are getting at oil for miles around without building wells. In effect, they knew they could save million/billions by capping the wells, decades ago.

Now, some may say, who wants those ugly wells dotting the landscape? Well, I say everyone would if they were making money with them. How much is paid to the land owners? I've read that it's as much as one every six barrels goes to the land owners. How much more are the oil companies making by screwing the land owners out of what is rightfully theirs? Hundreds of millions, that's how much.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Reserves have nothing to do with what we are accustomed to thinking of as "readily available". Oil sands and shale are so hideously energy intensive to develope as to be cost prohibitive.

We have, in less than 200 yrs already picked the low hanging fruit. There is a very elementary and basic reality at work when dealing with extraction of a finite resource, i.e. fossil fuels. When you arrive at a point where it takes the energy equivalent of a barrel of oil to extract a barrel of oil, it's game over. That info is readily available, look it up. We are close to that point now.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by slinkydog51

You could be right, but you could be wrong too. Do you really think that all information about extraction can be found on the www? Trade secrets are not on the web, so I'm guessing the technology for economical extraction aren't either.

It's all about profits nothing more. There is more profit in importing oil at 70 bucks a barrel, than getting our own for 20 bucks a barrel. That and I believe the US wants to control the worlds oil supply.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join