It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Credit Cards = Good or Bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Surgical enhancements, a mounted deer head, designer briefcases and pricey wine are among goods improperly charged to U.S. government credit cards by employees, according to a report released on April 28, 2004. The General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress, said in a report that hundreds of millions of dollars could be saved each year if there were stricter controls on the use of government credit cards. The government-wide purchase card program began in 1989 with the aim of streamlining federal buying and cutting down on processing costs. Card use was initially restricted to procurement personnel but later expanded. From 1994 to 2003, the GAO said the use of government purchase cards increased from $1 billion to $16 billion. In most instances bills are paid directly by the government. GAO audits of purchase cards found ineffective management, oversight and weak internal controls at the departments of Agriculture, Army, Navy, Air Force, Interior, Justice, Transportation and Veterans Affairs.

I find it sickening that our government just hands out these things like candy. I had one when I was in the Navy, and they gave it to me for "emergencies only", and to use during travel on Official Business.

However, these credit cards are so abused it's not even funny. Yeah, they monitor the use of them. But once something is bought, that's it. There is nothing you can do about it.

I personally think they should be more discreet in choosing personnel responsible enough to handle these.

Mr. M

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
No opinions on this topic? I find that hard to believe.

Mr. M

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Typical Taxpayer waste... My guess... it is probably they do not want to lose their budgets for the next year, so they buy stuff for themselves. I think everyone knows that it is ahppening, so that is why not too many responses... I mean about what 10 years ago they were talking about hammers that cost $1000 and nails that cosr $100. This was all over charging to their friends. Once that went public they changed tactics.... Too many people caring about themselves and not caring about the system as a whole..... I mean look at all the spending we have to do for the presidents families to take vacations. Stuff like this will always happen and be abused... from the lowly person with a credit card up to the highest ranks..... I think that most are just not caring anymore.

new topics

join