It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Backyard & Spice Cabinet Remedies For Tough Times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This thread is for those of you that don't already have some of the necessary medicinal supplies needed for when SHTF. This is some information I have collected and amazingly there is some lifesaving remedies that you can find in your yard and even in your spice cabinet. Even if your not entirely prepared you might find this information quite useful when the time calls.

The first I will list but not go into detail about is Dandelions. You can find information on them here. This amazing plant can be used for many things. Here is the info regarding it:
Dandelions

Number 2 is Comfrey which can be found in many places if you know what it looks like. The leaf is furry, really it feels furry and is edible.
This is what it looks like:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4321b6b3a27.jpg[/atsimg]

It's medicinal qualities are as listed:

Comfrey has been known for centuries as a priceless herb for wounds, sprains, bruises, and even broken bones in both people and other animals.

The next time you get a wound, sprain your ankle, burn yourself, or even break a bone, turn to comfrey for comfort. Of course, if you break your bone or get a serious burn, you'll want to head to the doctor right away, but as was mentioned before, even doctors are often forced to admit comfrey's power to speed the healing process. Comfrey's success as a healing agent is due to allantoin—a substance that speeds the production of new cells and aids in wound granulation (healing). Whether you're suffering a bruise, sprain, burn, cut, or busted bone, try making a comfrey poultice as the per the following instructions and prepare to be amazed.
Source and preparation

Number 3 would be Cayenne Pepper and it can be found in your spice cabinet also. Its qualities are as listed and looks like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/645e1316a821.jpg[/atsimg]

One of natures best remedies for cuts (even deep punctures) is believe it or not, Cayenne Pepper! This wonderful plant can be grown and therefore no "factory" will be necessary. To use - apply liberally on wound. The wound will form a scab and heal much quicker than with even sutures and with no scarring. From the book: Cayenne Pepper medicinal uses:
Major benefits - Stops Bleeding (internal or external), Heart attack, stroke, or Shock, Dissolves clots. Minor Benefits - Reviving, Fainting, Dizziness, Weakness, Confusion

Cayenne can be applied to open wounds or taken orally to stop bleeding. Nosebleeds, deep cuts, even arterial gushing will stop within seconds. Blood pressure is equalized throughout the body so there is no excessive pressure on the hemorrhage area and it can clot naturally. A poultice of Cayenne wrapped around a wound will ensure safe healing and will often not even leave a scar!

Internal wounds can be stopped from bleeding by drinking a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of Cayenne stirred into it. In fact, as shocking as it sounds, Cayenne has been shown to be an effective pain reliever for sufferers of stomach ulcers.
Source

Number 4 is Basil which can also be found in your spice cabinet and has the listed medicinal qualities:

It is used as sedative. Basil has been used as a medicinal plant in treatment of headaches, coughs, diarrhea, constipation, warts, worms, and kidney malfunctions. It has the ability to draw out poison from insect bites It is also thought to be an antispasmodic, stomachache, carminative, stimulant and insect repellent. The oils of basil, especially the camphor-containing oil, have antibacterial properties. It helps in promoting production of breast milk in nursing mothers.

Other Uses:
Basil in the bath is refreshing.
Leaves and flowers can be dried for potpourri.
Burn sprigs of basil on the barbecue to deter mosquitoes.
A bunch of basil hung over the kitchen window or a pot of basil in the windowsill will deter flies.
Source

Number 5 is Cinnamon, also used for many everyday food dishes and the medicinal qualities are as listed:

Cinnamon is carminative, astringent, stimulant, antiseptic. It is more powerful as a local than as a general stimulant. It stops vomiting, relieves flatulence, and given with chalk and astringents is useful for diarrhea and hemorrhage of the womb. Because of its mild astringency, it is particularly useful in infantile diarrhea. Recent studies have determined that consuming as little as one-half teaspoon of Cinnamon each day may reduce blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels by as much as 20% in Type II diabetes patients. It is used to treat nausea and flatulence. Cinnamon is a great remedy for people with cold feet and hands, especially at night. The cinnamaldehyde component is hypotensive and spasmolytic, and increases peripheral blood flow.
Source

Number 6 is Peppermint which is another spice that is used for many things. Its qualities are as listed:

Peppermint has been used for liver and gallbladder complaints, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, respiratory infections, menstrual cramps, toothache, the common cold, cough, and fever. Topically, peppermint has been used for muscle and nerve pain and as an antiseptic.
Source

And last but not least is Apple Cider Vinegar which is rumored to have been taken internally by thieves during the bubonic plague as they ravaged houses of the dead. Their secret to not getting sick was, you got it, Apple Cider Vinegar! Its qualities are as listed:

Apple Cider Vinegar, that wonderful old-timers home remedy, cures more ailments than any other folk remedy -- we're convinced! From the extensive feedback we've received over the past 8 years, the reported cures from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar are numerous. They include cures for allergies (including pet, food and environmental), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout.
Source

[edit on 8-7-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Awesome information. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I already knew about the dandelion but had no clue about the cinnamon. Guess I better start reading more about this and stocking up. I'm not a big fan of big pharma, I'd e rather go natural when possible.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Good stuff. Thanks.
To add, Aloe Vera plants are good for burns, cuts, and insect bites and are easy to grow in a pot on your porch. Just break the tip of a section of the plant off and rub the gel like sap on the affected area. My grandmother swore by it and used it on me more than once as a kid. Works Good!.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Wow awesome stuff. As a employee in the medical field i can definetly appreciate this thread. Star and flag for you!! I think i will even stock up on a few things now and give em a try just to see for myself. Thanks again for this and great work!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
garlic! my favourite food.

keeps away the vampires.

the Anti fungal and Anti viral effects of Garlic

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the exellent info. For all like myself who have lost faith in the health and med. system, and health ins. threads like this are needed.

Any ref. books would be great

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Agreed. I figured when SHTF even those on the opposite side that think it won't happen, will still have some useful tips. I personally know what a pain it is to try and stock up on every possible thing I might need just in case and it can be a nightmare. Off hand I cannot think of any reference books, sorry but I'm sure Amazon would have a ton of them. Most of this information was collected through my dad who is huge into herbs and such.

To the above, I was thinking about posting Aloe Vera but forgot so thank you for mentioning that and in regards to the garlic, I had no idea about that one. I will definitely read up on it!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am an apple cider vinegar FREAK, I swear by the stuff wholeheartedly.

It's been useful to me over the years in my gall bladder treatments, fatigue, sore muscles, stomach problems, you name it. the stuff is amazing!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
For the more conservative:

"The Green Pharmacy" - Dr James A. Duke

He worked for the USDA for many years as a botanist specializing in medicinal plants.

I really enjoy his books and use this one as a starting point towards any research I am doing. Hope this helps. Oh, and check amazon, I got one once for $2 used plus S/H

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

And last but not least is Apple Cider Vinegar which is rumored to have been taken internally by thieves during the bubonic plague as they ravaged houses of the dead. Their secret to not getting sick was, you got it, Apple Cider Vinegar! Its qualities are as listed:

Thanks for the great list of backyard medicines. I know Apple Cider Vinegar has many rumored health benefits but I believe you may be mistaken about it's use by thieves during the bubonic plague. They used a combination of herbs now sold simply as "Thieves Oil". It's a well documented fact that none of the perfumers of the day got bubonic plague, including Nostradamus.

Thanks again for the gnosis.

new topics

top topics

join