It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows-Killer-Google-Chrome-OS-Drops-in-2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

It turns out that all those rumors of an operating system from Google to go against Windows have managed to come true. Having released the Google Chrome browser just nine months ago, it was a natural step in the evolution of the Mountain View-based company to dig and bury itself deeper on the desktop, going beyond producing a competitor for Internet Explorer, to providing a self-sufficient standalone equivalent to the IE and Windows bundle. And ultimately to offer a platform designed to rival Windows. For this, Google has turned to the all-time anti-Windows favorite platform, Linux.

Softpedia

OK

New Operating system, linux based!!!!

Funny as it sounds, that is less important than the GUI (graphical user interface) that the end user see's.

Also, MOST important, how easy is it to use...specifically:

Detecting hardware and self-install drivers for said hardware.
The ability to run windows programs-in some emulation mode- that works automatically.
Offer similar to windows programs, that will fully integrate with windows, for example open office being read by and able to respond to windows office.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well first off,Google Chrome will be targeted at Netbooks and will be open source.
Netbooks are geared towards internet users and Cloud computing.
Cloud Computing will most likely be the trend that some will still be gravitating towards.

The PC gamers will still be using XP or Windows 7.

Google Chrome(s) is A good thing for the Linux community as it brings in a Big player with lots of cash. That cash might help the community find ways to finally enjoy Games and Applications written for Windows.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When is this supposed to be released?

Will it really be any good for the average user?

ie...

Games
Word Programs
Email
Online Video
Java

Lots and lots of issues that I am concerned with..

(I happen to like Vista, had it since it came out)

Semper

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I have done a bit more investigating about this...

The Answer is for some, but I doubt many on or visiting ATS will want to use it once they realize what and how it works.

It wants to make "Thin-Clients" out of netbooks (read cheap notebooks).

In larger corporation's, they host all the processing/storage and applications on the servers. Your little client only has enough hardware/software to go and find the server.

This is the kind of operating system they are making.

The operating system/programs and storage are all done on "googles" servers.

So if their servers are down, you are down.
So if their servers get hacked/burned...., you are down
So if their servers are hacked, you have no security on anything stored, even if not hacked, google workers can easily access all your data at will. ( not saying they will, just "can").

I would think that google would make a user friendly interface, but I just can't give a thumbs up to the thin client design.

Oh, and liking Vista is a clear sign of mental illness, just saying...

[edit on 7/12/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm supremely disappointed that they are going this route rather than something unique and new. We don't need another Linux distro we need better versions of the ones already out and popular.

top topics

join