It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Anti" religious intollerance

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I forgot to include some of what I was quoting in my last post in quotation marks. I hope it's apparent when I'm quoting and when I'm responding.

Two things I wanted to add:

Karen Armstrong's books are incredibly well-written, well-researched, insightful, compassionate and good reading. In addition to A History of God she wrote Through The Narrow Gate (her experiences as a nun) and The Battle For God.

I tend to be suspicious of anything that is an either/or proposition. I don't think one needs to be either spiritual or scientific. Indeed, a lot of what has come out of partical physics and astronomy recently seems to bring a sort of spirituality to the nature of things. Also, either Christian/gay? No. One can be both. I have found that the more I embrace, the larger I become, and the more room there is in my heart and soul.

Fortinbras

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Back to the general point, though. Pay attention to what you are saying, you are lending the idea that right and wrong is as relative as the human considering the concept. Monkey, they are proud of you, I'm sure.

well its an opinion, opinions are neither right or wrong. you can call them facts if you want but its still a persons belief that something is wrong.

people think eating meat is wrong. hindus believe eating a cow is sacrilege. jews dont eat pork, muslims dont eat pork. who's right? who you want it to be. what you've been taught to believe. i believe eating pork is tasty. i believe eating a steak is ok. does that mean hindus are wrong? does their belief make me wrong? since the two concepts are pretty much opposites there has to be a right and a wrong according to you. so who is wrong? what about the eating of pork? am i wrong for eating it because jews and muslims are not allowed to eat pork?

the idea of right and wrong is relative, like it or not.

And some people like red, and others like blue, I agree to some extent. But to me, those things you've mentioned are kind of like statutes, compared to things that are cut and dried and to violate them are known to the heart even if nobody told you of the law (laws).

Whether or not I eat pork and you do not, or believe slaughtering cattle is right or wrong, there are absolutes. Left without any training on any religion, we would all know that killing another human for no just cause is wrong, deception is wrong, stealing is wrong, etc. These are the things to which I refer. Using a red pen to write a check instead of blue or black isn't wrong "evil", it is wrong only because the banks said they don't want us to do that. Other than that, there is nothing placed in my heart to cause me to think that it is wrong.

You know, if we keep hammering on this, we'll reach common ground. Is this what its like to be a diplomat? I'll bet they drink and smoke heavily!:w:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Beause quite frankly, Christianity, Judiasim, and Islam present the biggest threats to their way of thinking.

We (many of us, anyway) have a foundation in science which supports our religion. But science is their religion, and we're not allowed to use their religion to justify our religion. Therefor the monothiestic religions are a major threat. Who would you attack, the major threat, or the nuscance? (sorry, my spelling is attrociious when I'm away from Microsoft Word...)

EDIT: Fixed the direction of a (

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by junglejake]

its harder to be an atheist than a christian, jew, or muslim.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

You know, if we keep hammering on this, we'll reach common ground.

we already have considering the content of the paragraph above this statement in your post.

you recognize that certain things would be universally unaceptable without religious teachings. the same things most religions already teach. the rest such as the eating of pork for example, isnt universal and only applies to those who follow that particular religion.

and yes this is what its like to be a diplomat (i believe, since i am not one). if nothing else it helps to bring people to a common understanding, that our own views are not as absolute as we would like to believe they are.

i know a lot of what i say seems ambiguous at times, even open ended but thats how life is for the most part. we are all unique and we all think differently as a result and whats best for us is what we think is best for us, whether we find those standards and morals in a religion or no. different strokes for different folks.

things are more relative than we want to admit to others let alone ourselves.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wyrmw00d
And why are religions such as Wicca and other "pagan" religions left untouched by these violent "intellectual" reactions?

Many pagans do experience this kind of prejudice. A store in a nearby town to me actually had to close because of Christians complaining to the council that it contained 'evil' books. I had been there a few times and all I saw were a few Wicca publications, an outrageoulsy priced copy of the 'Simon Necronomicon' and a few cut price Athames. Not evil, just different.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have realized that when people believe the homosexuality is wrong because it says so in the Bible and it has no place in a "Christian nation," to not even bother. You can't argue with faith. That is what he believes and nothing will change him. Opinions regarding religion cannot easily be changed.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I call it the Rainbow religion as it will take on the colors of many combined

I resemble that remark, But I have morals. I see all religions as valid in some respects. I see good and bad in all. But I also recognise the right for others to view and see things differently from me. And I think anyone with common sense can tell whats right or wrong.
What you describe as a Rainbow religion fits very closely to my own beliefs. I think all religions have valid points, and that there is no wrong way to find the creator, to me, just living is being a part of the divine plan.

As a side thought, I have never had a name for my belief system. You might of just given me one....LOL

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join