It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blitz of "Cyber Attacks," Leading Up to Cybersecurity Act of 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The very reason I post the threads I do, is this attempt at shutting down the net will be the final step before we fall off into an American Nazi hell. Kill all means of getting true news and the government can collect firearms under martial law without any leak of info to other areas of the country. It starts soon.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by SGTChas]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGTChas
The very reason I post the threads I do, is this attempt at shutting down the net will be the final step before we fall off into an American Nazi hell. Kill all means of getting true news and the government can collect firearms under martial law without any leak of info to other areas of the country. It starts soon.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by SGTChas]

These are my fears. The government may feel the need to curb all "real" information, then weapons, then food.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this thinking!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What I completely forgot in all of this, Obama still hasn't appointed his cybersecurity "czar."

One has to wonder if this individual will be appointed before/after the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 begins voting in Congress?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well, I suppose that it's time to buy some dried food and other necessities. When I try to log onto ATS one day and find that it's been taken down, I'll know that it has begun.

edit for grammar

[edit on 7/8/2009 by LiquidLight]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
Well, I suppose that it's time to buy some dried food and other necessities. When I try to log onto ATS one day and find that it's been taken down, I'll know that it has begun.

edit for grammar

[edit on 7/8/2009 by LiquidLight]

Seriously, that would be the ultimate tick-off for me! I just wanna come online and get my day's fix of conspiracy theories and boom, internet is down!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Doubt the internet's going to be "shut down." So don't worry.

As for censorship, that's a different story.

Either way, send Jay to his own FEMA camp yah?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
perhaps the slow boil is almost done

ny times also has an article out regarding preventative detention camps.....

i'm too tired to start a thread on it (perhaps there is one) but the one reporter said anonomously that he got the impression that he wasn't talking about terror suspects from guantanamo or in a war zone (like afghanistan) ......man i'm sure obama is on thin ice with alot of people....ice is crack a lackin.......

but unfortunately their are a endless line of puppets

so the problem really isn't obama and "his" policy's .....it is that the people need to mass protest and say enough is enough and then the people steering the ship may at least be delayed a decade or so

[edit on 8-7-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I just have question or two.

I've seen a few of you talking about setting up private servers or what not if the internet is censored.

How would someone like me find you if you did something like that or would I? How would I even know it was there? Would I be able to access this new network from my home computer?

Seems like people would just say, oh no the internet is different, but have no way of knowing you had these hidden networks which they would like to have access 2. To see what is really going on and to share info with you.

Maybe I just don't know enough about it, which is why I ask.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 is an abomination. For years the feds have been fretting over the Internet and its ability to connect everyone from average, politically active people, to terrorists together. This is the liberal Democrats push to get their hand around the Internet once and for good.

It won't work. Technology advances much faster than the ability of government to control it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dino1989
The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 is an abomination. For years the feds have been fretting over the Internet and its ability to connect everyone from average, politically active people, to terrorists together. This is the liberal Democrats push to get their hand around the Internet once and for good.

It won't work. Technology advances much faster than the ability of government to control it.

I certainly hope you are correct.

It seems as though the legislation is presently written to provide the Office of the President power to "flip an on/off switch" to provide access to the citizenry during times of emergency.

That, in addition to the snooping powers in emails, transmissions, etc. is also a threat to the citizenry.

That much power is scary.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Yep...Star for that one

I posted earlier regarding this:

The Cyber Czars and the connection to Preventative Detention Camps is crytal clear. Shut the internte down to government censoredsites and the Cyber Czar with his team of ' watchers' will maintain a 'log' of potential homegrown terrorists ( like us here at ATS) and off we go into the concentration....err...FEMA CAMPS

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Dont worry about it

Control the internet?
its like controlling the entire universe.
Do you really think internet nerds gonna take this kinda crap from Obama?

Please don't trust what Alex Jones post on his website, he likes to make the situation look even worse.
I'll give you a example. Japanese MP Yukihisa Fujita questioned 9/11 , his work friends told him to be careful with his job, since you might hinder the relationship between Japan and America, but Alex said on his website people threatened his life

thats why i ignore Alex Jones

[edit on 8-7-2009 by dino1989]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dino1989
Dont worry about it

Control the internet?
its like controlling the entire universe.
Do you really think internet nerds gonna take this kinda crap from Obama?

Please don't trust what Alex Jones post on his website, he likes to make the situation look even worse.
I'll give you a example. Japanese MP Yukihisa Fujita questioned 9/11 , his work friends told him to be careful with his job, since you might hinder the relationship between Japan and America, but Alex said on his website people threatened his life

thats why i ignore that Alex Jones has to say

It is important to take AJ's comments with reservation. I do enjoy visiting the documents he posts and derive my opinions from the facts.

But regarding the internet controlling and the Cybersecurity Act of 2009...I do fear that our government is fishing for the opportunity to curb access via social networking sites like has been done in Iran and China.

We saw just how powerful those social networking tools (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter) were to keep like-minded folks together. As the governments were oppressing its citizenry, the internet was able to fight back against those regimes.

What is to stop the US government from doing the same?

Now, there'd be legislation on the books that provide them authority to do so.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Good Evening All,

Beyond the actual inability of the Govt to shut off the internet is the reality of the internet as an industry. The USA controls the .com .net and .org, .us and a few other domain extensions. Country code extensions are controlled within the country they represent. So Canada controls the .ca etc etc.

To proclaim that they can simply kill an industry, putting many hundreds of thousands of people out of work in an instant without any regard for the livelihood of these people would be insane.

I have to agree that there needs to be some control over some aspects of the internet, so things like DDOS, ftp trolling and web attacks can be stopped, but a certain amount of responsibility to secure these systems relies on the system owner.

Websites that employ CMS systems like Joomla, Drupla, and many Wordpress installs are a security void. The sysadmins on these systems really need to have some liability applied to them in order for them to start taking server security seriously. Many of these would be sysadmins are just counting themselves lucky to actually make the software work, believing that security is already built in; experience teaches us otherwise.

The home users that choose not to use antivirus, (I know it sounds retarded) or who rely on windows firewalls to secure their systems need to be held responsible when their systems become zombies used in these cyber attacks.
Currently, if your system participates in a DDOS, if you ever find out, you say "oops" and bear no financial responsibility for the damage your system helped cause. I can think of no other industry where this kind of total disregard for safety is tolerated.

So on one hand I agree that a self regulated internet is an information utopia where we can all participate as responsible adults, but as a service provider with a large-ish investment in e-mail, web and dns infrastructure I am getting extremely fed up with the huge number of would be attacks coming out of the asia pacific netblocks. Even though they aren't successful against my particular setup doesn't change that a certain amount of resources are used to combat these attacks anyways. So something needs to be done to ensure the survivability of the internet, while maintaining a free flowing information resource. Is more govt. interference the answer, I certainly hope not, but it may be our only choice.

Thanks for reading.
..Ex

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i don't buy it. I want proof. Real proof. If there is any so called software imbedded in power grid computer systems and such, i wanna see some code from the feds... and for that matter, Where's the back ups at? Even entry level geeks have EVERYTHING backed up in case their system is compromised. Nuke the drives [c'mon we're americans, our government loves word nuke, right?] implement the backups, and filter through the compromised drives to recover all salvageable 'post-backup data"...and stop using dumba$$ passwords like '4thofjuly' and 'americarocks' and stop hiring ITs just because they have a fancy cisco certificate.
Remeber the guy that hacked into Nasa's systems a few years back? He made it sound as if it was easier than going to take a leak...and he probably did it with his grandma's Tandy.
Find some 'real' hackers, and pay them stupid amounts of money to secure your ifrastructure.
...that is, if it weren't complete BS.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Shut down or even 'censor' the internet?

This defies logic. Assuming nefarious forces are at work why would they want to shut down what is THE BIGGEST POTENTIAL TOOL FOR PROPAGANDA on earth? It would be much more effective for 'them' to simply seed youtube and wiki with government shills and subtly guide and influence the content. Which I suspect has been the case for some time now anyway.

While held out as some sort of Last Voice Of Free Expression by many, the internet has a very real and very possible potential to do at least as much harm as good with questionable and biased information from unknown 'user contributed' sources.

I'm as much of a fan as anyone and hope the net continues in its current form, but none of us need to blindly follow ANY pied piper spouting opinion as fact and bias as reality.

My opinion.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The government cyber security are very stupid. What do you expect when you buy your hardware with a stamp saying "made in China"?

They either wanted that so they can regulate the internet or they are just plain idiots.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Shut down or even 'censor' the internet?

This defies logic. Assuming nefarious forces are at work why would they want to shut down what is THE BIGGEST POTENTIAL TOOL FOR PROPAGANDA on earth? It would be much more effective for 'them' to simply seed youtube and wiki with government shills and subtly guide and influence the content. Which I suspect has been the case for some time now anyway.

While held out as some sort of Last Voice Of Free Expression by many, the internet has a very real and very possible potential to do at least as much harm as good with questionable and biased information from unknown 'user contributed' sources.

I'm as much of a fan as anyone and hope the net continues in its current form, but none of us need to blindly follow ANY pied piper spouting opinion as fact and bias as reality.

My opinion.

Well, I agree with your "opinion." I do not agree with the Cybersecurity Act of 2009.

Please read through the contents of the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 and you will realize the Office of the President will have unprecendented powers to control, regulate, and monitor internet usage. And, in the event of an "emergency," he/she can shut it down entirely.

I'm no "pied piper," I'm merely connecting puzzle pieces.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Last night during Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, there was a guest featured during the opening news segment that was a former hacker, turned governmental consultant. He was mentioning that these "cyber attacks" are so basic and foolish--they are basically shutting down access to websites, that's it. They're not even trying to steal data or compromise top-secret information.

Which then leads us to two things--it's some small time hacker that is trying to make a name for itself, or it's the beginning of a series of small attacks that the media will overplay, prompting urgency for cybersecurity for all Americans.

And since most Americans don't even realize these recent cyber attacks are nothing, it sounds like "we need this and we need this security now!"

We're just being played, yet again, America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join