It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urine: A 'Clean' Energy Source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Urine: A 'Clean' Energy Source

dsc.discovery.com

July 8, 2009 -- Urine-powered cars, homes and personal electronic devices could be available in six months with new technology developed by scientists from Ohio University.

Using a nickel-based electrode, the scientists can create large amounts of cheap hydrogen from urine that could be burned or used in fuel cells. "One cow can provide enough energy to supply hot water for 19 houses," said Gerardine Botte, a professor at Ohio University developing the technology. "Soldiers in the field could carry their own fuel."

Pee power is based on hydrogen, the most common element in the univer
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have ACTUALLY wondered about urine as a power source before. It is funny to see this article. I can just see it now....people pulled over on the side of the road fueling up. It kinda gives new meaning to the term "rest stop". I will digress at this point and let someone with a stronger scientific background chime in on this one.

Just my 2-cents

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
FINally!!!!!! A truly renewable fuel source that we can carry with us!!!

Drink an espresso, process it, drive home.

I want this technology for myself............... although....... I know I can electrify water and separate the H from the O2, but then how to actually use the hydrogen gas? I can't really burn it in my propane stove (wrong aperature) ...... I can't burn it in my car (although it could augment the gasoline vapor) .

Seems like we not only need home storage of hydrogen, but moreover a method (that is affordable) of utilizing the universe's most common element.

Otherwise, it may well go the way of ethanol.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well It wouln't be just a simple matter of peeing in the tank to get your car to go.

These would be using fuel cells which would need to replenished or bought. It would have to be refined to a point and have somethings taken out, so there would still be cost involved.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I didn't see anything in the article mentioning the requirement for filtering the urine prior to or anything.

Where did you get the information about purchasing them like batteries? That would seem counterproductive to me if your fuel is in a natural liquid state anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is actually bad good news. I do not want to be a urine-producing energy source!

Also - i wonder if this system is cost effective all in all and in general, if hydrogen energy use would not ensure much more water actually being lost in higher rates due to atmospheric loss.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Using a nickel-based electrode, the scientists can create large amounts of cheap hydrogen from urine that could be burned or used in fuel cells.

From the article...I guess we could burn them as well, but I mean, there would need to be a standard for urine I would assume. Just like all gas can't be burnt for fuel, it needs to be refined...

~Keeper

[edit on 7/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Gives new term to designated driver... *LOL*

Come on bob, drink another 12 pack of beer, we gota get to florida by morning... *LOL*

Interesting though, will have to follow this and see where it ends up.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
so there is finally a good reason to drink all that beer? I could fuel my whole neighborhood after a day on the links!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Sweet! Another excuse at the end of the night/

Officer, I was just fueling up my car. I swear it!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is very bad news.

How will they tax it?
A flat tax any any liquid sold and also water?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

They will probably tax us by the mile. Collected once per year when the State inspection is renewed. Just a guess LOL

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hydrogen = water vapor, which is a worse greenhouse gas than CO2 will ever be.

The EPA also wants to tax, and label water vapor as a "pollutant" because they know that's the next step for the industry.

With millions, if not billions of cars producing water vapor we will really be once again in a WARMING WORLD.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Using a nickel-based electrode, the scientists can create large amounts of cheap hydrogen from urine that could be burned or used in fuel cells.

From the article...I guess we could burn them as well, but I mean, there would need to be a standard for urine I would assume. Just like all gas can't be burnt for fuel, it needs to be refined...

~Keeper

[edit on 7/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

Fuel Cells require an external energy source which must be replenished. I think a pee tank would suffice.

Do different types of Urine have different levels of hydrogen?

You may have a point.. I'm holding out though :-)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
A Clean Source of Energy.
we need a viable method of Collection of HH0
History first:
www.brownsgas.com...

Info On-Line:
www.brownsgas.com...

Car Kits that are available that enable your Private Car to run on HH0, smoothly & efficiently.

www.hhoconversion.com...

Buying HH0?
myh2opoweredcar.com...

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Supplier
www.befreetech.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well from what I know the concentrations of those chemicals usually are the result of what the person in question eats or drinks.

Chemistry World reports that the catalyst could not only fuel the hydrogen-powered cars of the future, but could also help clean up municipal wastewater.

Gerardine Botte of Ohio University uses an electrolytic approach to produce hydrogen from urine - the most abundant waste on Earth - at a fraction of the cost of producing hydrogen from water.

Urine's major constituent is urea, which incorporates four hydrogen atoms per molecule - importantly, less tightly bonded than the hydrogen atoms in water molecules.

Botte uses electrolysis to break the molecule apart, developing an inexpensive new nickel-based electrode to selectively and efficiently oxidise the urea. To break the molecule down, a voltage of 0.37V needs to be applied across the cell - much less than the 1.23V needed to split water.

Source

Ok so perhaps I am wrong, if they are using that specific chemical in Urine, then I would assume that it would be standard among all living creatures. They mentioned using cows as a way of collecting large ammounts of urine.

I am wondering how that would go. What are they gonna do attack a bag to them or something? Public urination devices that collect urine and transport it somewheres else?

In any case it will be very interesting to see. My reasoning for the different levels was that humans don't always pee urine, we sometimes just pee water, which is why it comes out clearn versus yellow as far as I know.

In any case, something to watch closely.

And how is water vapor more harmfull that CO2? It's just water, H20, which we are made up of and so is mostly everything on the planet, so I don't see any reason to tax it, and I don't see any evidence that's it's worse for the environment that CO2.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Here's an experiment.... next time you have had plenty of water in one day and believe you are peeing water... capture a little and take a sip.

Lemme know if it tastes like water :-)

I'm just messin with ya...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I could just see the ladies out there peeing in the tank to get there car to go.
need a funnel.

Or think of the smell after a car has set for a week in the hot sun with a full tank.

Would alcohol contaminate the fuel.

Would everyone have to keep a jug in the bathroom to save up for a long trip.

How far could a bus full of football fans get with a 5 kegs of beer.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by ANNED]

top topics

join