It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second US drone attack kills 27 in South Waziristan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Second US drone attack kills 27 in South Waziristan

www.na tion.com.pk

At least 27 militant have reportedly been killed in what appeared to be a US drone attack, the second in a day, report said. According to a US news agency the strike carried out in Matin area of South Waziristan Agency hit five vehicles carrying Taliban fighters. 25 militants were killed in the blitz. Earlier, 10 militants were killed in a suspected US missile strike in the same region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You gotta admit... those drones are something else...

Love em or hate em, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Whats the legality of building your own and claiming second amendment rights for having one? Could you somehow persuade a court of law, that this particular weapon is a form of self defense?

Does the second ammendment protect our right to keep and bare arms for offense as well as defense? Does that even matter?

Anyway, I'm rambling now... but Drones really change the equation in a lot of ways when I think about it.

www.na tion.com.pk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You know, I don't usually agree with you, but I love it, man.

It's pretty easy to laugh about it, now. I hope I'm never on the business end of one of those.

And where the hell is Waziristan? Is that even a country? Are we just making countries up so we can bomb the hell out of them now?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The drones that are in business now are first gen designs that have had upgrades to them. Imagine what they will be like in 5 or 10 years from now. The airforce and army have been sinking millions of dollars into video games and related companies to train the future pilots of these vehicles.

Also, yah, I wouldn't mind having one of my own. You could fly it over your neighbors house that has the loud dog and paveway the mother.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by axiomuser

Now imagine when they start using these drones to fight domestic terrorism in the U.S.

Protesters will get shot by these to prevent "terrorist gatherings".

Yes, cruel world we live in today.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbylove321

Now that's a scary thought...

These things are wild...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Nah, we should only let our President use them, clearly he's the only one allowed to kill people en masse without any repercussions at all. Lovin the peaceful diplomacy here....

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
im sure making automated killing machines cant backfire or anything.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I don't think the predators are 100% automated, yet. There is a secure video feed to a room in Virgina with a human "ordering" the drone to fire its weapons. But the AI will probably evolve to the point of a "terminator".

Interesting they're considered to still be on the first generation. The predators have been around a while, before 9/11. I wonder what performance can be gained in gen 2 ? I'd assume it's mainly been weapons and sensor upgrades so far. They need to stay aloft and conserve fuel. Anti-gravity would be handy. Problem is it would be too riskly to lose such a classified asset over Pakistan.

Imagine the kind of UAVs they have out at Area-51

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Its a bad thing...
When you take the human aspect out of war it becomes a game
If the guy watching camera mount and flying with a joystick had to actually shoot those guys I am sure he would quit. But when you create 'buffer' zones then you stop caring.
Really its just psychological warfare, it seems to me lately there has been a awful lot of conditioning and desensitising to prepare us all for war...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I agree with the fact that removing humans from the killing fields promotes actions we wouldn't normally see.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If i were Pakistan i would shoot those UAV's out the sky as soon as they entered my airspace and give America the middle finger...i wonder what the ratio of civilian to militant deaths is in these strikes...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

And where the hell is Waziristan? Is that even a country? Are we just making countries up so we can bomb the hell out of them now?

It is a Taliban / AQ controled region of Pakistan. Of the 29 strikes the US has carried out in Pakistan this year - 21 of them were in Waziristan.

The map at the link below shows how much of Pakistan is under Taliban control.

Contested Areas of Pakistan

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
...i wonder what the ratio of civilian to militant deaths is in these strikes...

This guy says its about 50:1....probably pretty close

Since 2006, we’ve killed 14 senior Al Qaeda leaders using drone strikes; in the same time period, we’ve killed 700 Pakistani civilians in the same area.

new topics

top topics

join