It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Rev. AL” actually acted “Reverend-ish!” Who-would-a-thought it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
See Link: www.youtube.com...

His speech’s outline…

1) The Jacksons rose from working class…
2) Michael Jackson refused to be constrained by tradition…
3) MJ brought the world come together…
4) MJ helped the poor before it was “fashionable”…
5) MJ helped us to stand inter-racially…
6) We shouldn’t focus on MJ’s mistakes, but his strength…
7) MJ was strong in the face of adversity…
8) And lastly, Rev. Sharpton, comforted the three children of Michael Jackson

I say “atta-boy” Rev. Sharpton!

As a conservative I have been greatly disappointed in Rev Al in the past, Duke Uni., Don Imas, etc…

But this time he was spot on!!!! I have a renewed respect for the guy…how about you all?

OT

PS: RIP MJ!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
He loves him some MJ for sure.

He proposed in an interview A MJ Stamp, and A National Day Memorial for MJ. Forgot moment of silence, its moment of silence for MJ.

The guy was an entertainer, not a god.

The idolization needs to stop, it's one thing to admire, but a whole nother thing to deify the man!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
He loves him some MJ for sure.

He proposed in an interview A MJ Stamp, and A National Day Memorial for MJ. Forgot moment of silence, its moment of silence for MJ.

The guy was an entertainer, not a god.

The idolization needs to stop, it's one thing to admire, but a whole nother thing to deify the man!

Yeah, great point...MJ was just a man...frail, at that...

But the MOONWALJK was awesome

Got to give it to Rev Al...he did good, for an old liberal....

OT

PS: Thx for responding to my humble OP...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Hey Al may of done a good thing in the Video, but i'm not one to say he didn't do a good thing because I don't agree with him on the majority of everything else, he did a good thing, now if we applaud him, maybe he'll do another good thing! Lol.

The moonwalk may of been something to deify.....it had to of come from the gods.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Hey Al may of done a good thing in the Video, but i'm not one to say he didn't do a good thing because I don't agree with him on the majority of everything else, he did a good thing, now if we applaud him, maybe he'll do another good thing! Lol.

The moonwalk may of been something to deify.....it had to of come from the gods.

FO SHO! Moonwalk....

Al has definitely expressed a "wrong" view on most things in the past....history will prove...?????

but OT has been wrong alot, too...according to my bride...

and who's to argue with feminism?

OT

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Dunk | 11:19 Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson offer their tributes. Kobe calls him a “true humanitarian” who is in the Guinness Book for Most Charities Supported by a Pop Star. Trivia: When Michael was a child, he called his younger sister Janet “Dunk” because he said she resembled a donkey. That is how Janet signed her message in the memorial program. Magic recalls how during a meeting with Michael over his appearance in the “Remember The Time” video, he and the King of Pop sat on the floor and shared a bucket of KFC.

link: www.laindependent.com...

lol at MAJIC JOHNSON'S greatest moment with MJ about the King of POP eating KFC Fried chicken, while Majic ordered grilled...too funny huh?

OT

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Well, it looks like OT is in the minority here...another conservative's take on Rev AL and MJ... here: www.associatedcontent.com...

Excerpt:

However, even Al Sharpton will not diminish my opinion of Michael Jackson.

Rev. Al Sharpton and Racist Allegations: Identity Politics

It is not surprising that Al Sharpton's speech prompted cries of racism. While it's true that Michael Jackson had to overcome racial barriers as a young African American artist, Michael Jackson's work transcended color. Rev. Al Sharpton does Michael Jackson a disservice by making him a black icon rather than an American icon. It also insults his fans of other races.

And while Jackson was dedicated to his favorite charities, he remained largely out of electoral politics for much of his life. For Rev. Al Sharpton to argue that Michael Jackson was responsible for Barack Obama's election is a travesty. It implies that African Americans are obligated to support Obama because of his color and that anyone who does not support him is automatically racist.

I did not vote for Barack Obama, but it was a question of policy not of race. I would have no problem voting for candidates of any color. Rev. Al Sharpton would do well to remember that Martin Luther King Jr. wanted people to be judged on the content of their character rather than their color. Incidentally, Martin Luther King Jr. and Sammy Davis Jr. were also lifelong Republicans.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

That Conserv. Is spot on with it though.

MJ did do some things, i've watched more of his videos, that talked about breaking down racial barriers, but unlike todays music, he didn't say all blacks were better, he just said in my terms, F it we're all the same get over it.

Al Sharpton could use to sit down and listen to MLK Jr's tapes and videos and writings, and take it all in, instead of bringing up race all the time, but all in all that is the mans job.

new topics

top topics

join