It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge to all of ATS far and wide.. If you have it in you.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by DaMod

Because this is an experiment for the good I'll participate.

I will be nice to my husband, show him respect and adoration just to see what happens.

And this is opposed to what? The norm of disrespecting him and treating him unfairly? If that's the life you live, then I can honestly say I've found out what's wrong with the world.

I hope I'm just presuming too much in this and just writing this because I'm emotionally distraught with what you just said, but if treat the man you MARRIED and promised you would love, cherish and care for like that, then it's people like you that drag down humanity into the drudges

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
S&F for you!
This is something I do as often as possible. Especially with strangers. It's so important, particularly for me, as I tend to get extremely irriated and impatient with people. I figure if I put enough good ju-ju into the universe it will hopefully offset some of the not-so-pleasant behaviors I exhibit.......like flipping people off in traffic

No one is flawless but if we recognize that and try to improve, that is huge! If we make a concious effort to put a healthier, happier energy out there, it's bound to make some positive difference.
Even if it just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy for doing something nice!

ATS group hug?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
My mother taught me this lesson from a young age. Whenever I go through a restaurant drive-thru (which is often) I always ask the cashier if I can pay for the cars behind me.

My mom told me this was a selfless and giving act for 2 reasons. 1. I can pull off fast thus eliminating any thank yous. 2. I truly have no idea if the car behind me has ordered one coke or 50 cheeseburgers. It's a way to let go of the control we tend to want when we give to others.

I simply ask the cashier if she will tell the car behind me to do something nice for a stranger today.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

This is a wonderful challenge.

How many understand that by participating, you're actually helping "you" - literally - not "somebody else"?

The more that do understand this, the better off we'll all be.

DrQ

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I started a thread a few days ago with the objective of spreading brotherly love, kindness etc. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I thought there would be more interest in my idea. My idea was to inspire the globe to declair Friday 12/21/2012 and the entire week leading up to and including Christmas Day a huge time of celebration.

Not much interest. The world would rather entertain themselves with wars, greed, murders, killings, doom and destruction.

I look for opportunities to do random acts of kindness everyday.....which is why I am always broke.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicaviv
Today I made three 13 X 11 sheet cakes and brought them down for dessert to the local Soap Kitchen. Actually I do this often, how do I ask them to pass it on, or is this just a freebie?

I think a good act would be to turn that soap kitchen into a soup kitchen. Why would the homeless want to eat soap?

Ok. I'm an a**. So be it.

I'll go do something good now.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Is this pre-school?

It's common sense to be kind to someone if they are kind to you.

However, I must admit, I hate people who tailgate me. And I usually give them the bird. Kindness comes and goes.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Is this pre-school?

It's common sense to be kind to someone if they are kind to you.

However, I must admit, I hate people who tailgate me. And I usually give them the bird. Kindness comes and goes.

You think inciting good deeds is pre-school?

A random act of kindness to a random person just to better their day is only for preschoolers?

Sad sad little man..

[edit on 8-7-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar1102

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by DaMod

Because this is an experiment for the good I'll participate.

I will be nice to my husband, show him respect and adoration just to see what happens.

And this is opposed to what? The norm of disrespecting him and treating him unfairly? If that's the life you live, then I can honestly say I've found out what's wrong with the world.

I hope I'm just presuming too much in this and just writing this because I'm emotionally distraught with what you just said, but if treat the man you MARRIED and promised you would love, cherish and care for like that, then it's people like you that drag down humanity into the drudges

That was uncalled for, mean, hateful, demeaning and rude. You twisted my meaning. The unspoken thought that should have followed was not what you assumed. I apologize for not being clearer in my intention. In my mind the statement, when carried out would bring us both much happiness.

But you have proven that performing a kindness for a stranger is out of the question.

As the OP states, if you have it in you.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

There's no gain in that. The key is to be kind and generous in spite of, or regardless of what the other person does - then there's real progress.

Some people...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A lot of people in England are not kind and do not know how to respond to acts of kindness.
This thread has reminded me of all the little things I have done but since forgotton about.Most of the time trying to teach my children that no matter how small the gift or act it may make a big difference.
It was Christmas just gone and we were in Boots the Chemist looking at the perfume.The sales girl looked so harassed and there was a posh lady basically shouting at her for something non important.I told my daughter we were leaving,and she was a bit confused, opposite Boots was the chocolate shop Thorntons and I told her we were going to get something for this girl.
Once I told the lady in the shop who I was buying the small box of chocolates for(she asked!) ,she gift wrapped with no extra charge,grinning all the timeshe was doing it.
We walked back to Boots, touched the girl on the arm and gave her the gift saying she deserved it.
She was crying and smiling when we walked away.
So was my daughter.
She did'nt realise that by doing something so small for a stranger you could make others around you so happy.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It's good to be nice in general. I watch my own business, I dont get intervened much into any drama which is nice
So stay away from those that have negative attitudes everyday. they are no good. trust me. "ex"

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I accept your challenge as well, I try to do something everyday for someone. I feel we should start out with our own families , especially if you have kids, to teach them that its a good thing to do that.

it seems to me that with everything going on in the world these days, its so hard for people to want to do that, knowing that it could be the end of the world. People are so wrapped up in when TSHF & preparing for it, they often overlook the fact that we are still alive right now and that we should be thankful that we still have our loved ones...Can't we do both? Prepare and be kind?

I hope I didn't get too far off the topic...if I did I apologize, im still kinda new at posting replies, etc.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

My sense of Hazelnut's statement was that she was being lighthearted, and making a pun. No reason to personalize it that I can see. We all have our own relationships and the systems that work within them, right?

Regarding the OP, I feel that the essence of it is to do acts of kindness without an expectation of anything, humbly, and quietly. The "payment" extracted is to encourage the recipient of your kindness to "pass it on" or "pay it forward."

This seems an easy thing for me, and the more a person is open to it -- much like all synchronicities -- the more you find.

Just this afternoon, I was going to hospital to fill a prescription for m'Bride, who is suffering from a tooth-causation sinus infection. I met an elderly woman known to me -- Miss Meredith -- and she is having troubles with her new house.

Her old house was destroyed by Hurricane Paloma last year in November. She had insurance, but was vastly underinsured. Her insurance paid for the rebuilding of her house, but none of the interior. One of our MLAs (Members of Legislative Assembly) paid out of pocket for her electrical and plumbing.

Soooooooooo, I run into Miss Meredith at the pharmacy and ask her if she needs a ride home. She does. On the way, she tells me that she has a toilet, shower, sink, bathroom sink, but nobody to install them. She also doesn't have any kitchen cabinets. Miss Meredith has paid her dues; she's 81 y/o. She lives alone. She's a firecracker, and I love her spirit.

Well, guess who's going to install her goodies? Guess who's going to build her a short set of upper and lower cabinets out of red oak? yah.

So, I tell her when she says "how much will this cost me?" I say, "well, dear, you have to only pass on the kindness to others."

She cried. I almost did as well. That @#$ing debt has been PAID. I know she will do it; she's that kind of stand-up person. I'll be there tomorrow moring bright and early (well, at least early); I'm getting a buddy to help me. We're gonna get this house LIVE and ready.

It works.

It always has.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Bravo Argentus! What you are doing is good Karma. I'm so glad to hear about people actually doing something substantial for another without expectation of remuneration.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Some of us do these things whenever we can. Today I shot 3 rabbits who were eating the flower garden of a local grandmother who cant even do anything more than water said flowers, much less replant.

This "challenge" shoult stop here, if you have a genuine care for your fellow man, this kind of thing will come almost naturally.

Unfortunately I believe you will have your karma returned to you regarding this act of 'kindness.' You could place a rabbit proof fence around her garden for a much more pleasant outcome for all.

Regarding the challenge, I'll do it, the asking to pay it forward part. I give and help all the time. It's part of who I am.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I give bums money all the time. It's entirely up to them if they want to pay it forward.

If you really want to have some fun, give well dressed and obviously wealthy, well off people money. When you offer them $5 bucks they look at you so funny, like you're crazy or something. It's sort of conceptual art. I usually have my GF in the car with a Camcorder with a great telephoto lens filming the whole thing. I'll probably get sued someday if I show these videos commercially.

Perhaps I'll give the DVDs to the bums along with their $5 spot.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Your mother is a brilliant person!!!

Too many people want to do good deeds and want to get a pat on the back for it.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Otsego]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

And what is the source of hate, fear and misery?

...our current financial control grid, keeping back humanity.

MONEY

Random acts of kindness are like a drops of water on a hot plate. One sizzle and they are gone.

If you really want to change the world, go ahead and do it by renouncing money, and move to a resource based economy where every inhabitant of this fine planet has food, shelter and equal rights to its resources.

Nice initiative OP, but if you really want to make a difference you are smart enough to know what needs to be done. That goes for the lot of you BTW.

T4H

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth4hire

I disagree, however I admit that I live in a dinky place where these events are REAL-TIME and you get to see the fruit of your efforts NOW.

Back in the day when I lived in the States, I did volunteer work, and rarely had a sense of it doing any real good.

Look. You effect positive change in your own personal arena. That's not a drop in the bucket, mate, because you can see the outcome. I agree that it's sometimes hard to realize the positive effect of your efforts when spread over an entire state/providence/area......... but make changes for the good on the level in which you can see them.

I don't think there is anyone who can claim that their good works on a local level do no good. Give it a try. It's good for your soul, or sense of self, your sense of humanity.

shine

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join