It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 black kids kicked out of Philly pool; Might 'Change the Complexion'...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Wow I couldnt believe the responses....

How defensive are the people on here, I mean seriously.

HAHAHA

Why DID so many members here at ATS jump in to post replies then re-post and re-post...

Racism is here on ATS.. I dont care how you say it.

It went from "maybe they are misbehaving"
to "they were probly misbehaving "
to "Well if i had 60 misbehaving kids running into a pool I would leave to"

Now without evidence, this thread evolved to accpeted racism.
Stating "Differences in the "loudness and openess" of african american children as opposed th white children"
How is this allowed even to be on this site..
Do you have supposting eveidence to this? please post your scientific link proving this statement.

I think that on a hot day 60 kids are gonna want to go into a pool...
If your Kids was one of the kids not being let in, and everyone else was of a different race... what would you think?

To be UnBiases is the goal of a truthseeker.

To support this in anyways is like saying,

Well the government says that Iraq and Iran are full of oil and we should kill them befor they waste it all.
"Well I like to drive my car, and if someone is gonna waste all the oil i say they should die" Its the same thing... It all stems from self unworth and fear.
Whatever the reason, there could have been many other ways to deal with this.

Most disgusting thread i have read here.

Welcome to ATS. Just like many places in life, you will find racism, Islamophobia, homophobia, anti-Semitism, anti-Freemasonary, anti-Feminism, anti-Capitalism (i could really go on here...) opinions. This does not mean the majority of ATS members take part or promote any of these things.

However, true freedom of speech is still allowed and this is why people enjoy browsing this website. If you come across a thread whose contents you are likely to find offensive or unpleasant, do not open them. Rather simple. The title of this thread is very provocative so it should only be expected that the comments within this thread return the favour.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Here's an article with a little more information on the swim club situation:

Montco swim club accused of racial discrimination

Days before a Northeast Philadelphia day camp's membership at a private suburban swim club was rescinded, several of the campers said they had heard racial remarks about themselves at the pool.

Parents and staff members of Creative Steps Inc. day camp are considering legal action against the Valley Club in Huntingdon Valley, said Alethea Wright, the camp's executive director.

Sixty-five campers, kindergartners through seventh graders who are African American and Hispanic, arrived at the private swim club around 3:30 p.m. on June 29. It was their first visit to the club, but the camp had made arrangements for weekly trips on Mondays through Aug. 10.

There was no behavior issues associated with the campers, according to the article, it looks like some members complained about the campers and the person in charge decided to return the funds the camp paid for the pool access.

a little bit more...

Several parents and the camp are looking into possible legal action against the club, said Staci Morgan, a Creative Steps board member and Philadelphia social worker.

Their options depend on whether the state Human Relations Commission has jurisdiction over the club's operations, said Michael Hardiman, a lawyer with the commission. Organizations that are "distinctly private" do not fall under that jurisdiction.

Hardiman would not say whether the Valley Swim Club met the commission's criteria for investigation.

As a whole this definitely reflects badly upon the club, the camp paid for their access to the pool, just like the members... and this access was Mondays only, and also was going to end Aug 10, which is like 5 more visits for the campers total...

This hardly represents any serious impact on the other members... :shk:

I hope they find some way to pursue legal action against the club, the kids deserve better than this kind of treatment, racially based or not...

This is wrong.

ed:bb code

[edit on 7/9/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think the replies on this thread are disgraceful as well. I am disappointed in our members for not speaking out. It is racism pure and simple. In fact this entire thread could be seen as trolling!

Is there white racism = yes
Is there black racism = yes

Do 2 wrongs make a right = no Didn't your mom teach you that one?

The right wing nuts do seem to have loud presence on this board. But rest assured there are many of us here who see this for what it is.

If the officials made a mistake all they had to do was employ some more subtle form of racism. "We are overbooked and not prepared for etc etc". You know the type of racism so prevalent in our society today.
Remember the big deal they made about Tiger Woods being allowed to play at Augusta?? Ughhhhh!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Private means private. If you own a restaurant and do not like the hair style or facial expressions or dress or anything else about a ' customer' you can legallyn exclude them. As long as you do not specify race as the reason you are on solid ground.

Of course the club should not have rented swimming privelges to anyone without checking to see if they are suitable. That should have been done first. But likley the fee was paid on the basis of the club owners not knowing that it was 60 screaming inner city blacks that would drive their paying regular clients away.

If I was a member of a private pool and saw 60 black youths swarming in and taking over the pool, I would be outraged. I would also be outraged if 60 white non-members showed up and took over the pool. 60 people is a lot; and lets be blunt; Inner city black kids are far less likley to possess the decorum and civility necessary for acceptance into the common scene at any gathering.

The private pool had to consider this: if they allowed the kids to stay and run the regulars off, they would begin to lose paying members, and they cannot exist on once in a while trips from outsiders to maintain the pool and grounds. I would quit a club or pool that regularly allowed gangs of inner city kids to swarm in and take over. People pay good money to go where they are comfortable with their peers, and that flies out the wiindow as soon as the gates to the ghetto are opened and the minions of such allowed to dominate the scene.

Blacks and whites, especially those from vastly different socioeconomic arena's, tend to act very differently at social events. A gang of inner city black kids are NOT going to have the benefit of homes that have taught them proper etiquette and decorum in public. I have spent a lot of time in inner city areas and have observed the communities closely. there are vast differences that cannot be attributed to anything but upbringing and social mores.

Blacks and whites, when left alone, tend to group in seperate cliques. Of course the higher income and education a person has the more able they are to interact appropriately in social situations, but the vast majority of blacks cannot comfortable integrate into a white social subset without obvious challenges, from language to demeanor to expectations of conduct.

It seems curious to many whites that the majority of blacks, even with equal education, cannot converse without resorting to ' ebonics' to communicate, and that the majority of blacks see whites as ' different' and feel no qualms about it. If a black person is uncomfortable with whites, we say it is because of past history and oppression, etc. If a white person feels the same way, we cal it ' bigotry' or ' prejudice'. See the difference?

Most whites see lower income blacks as unwilling to take personal responsibility for their own lives and neighborhoods and as the types most likley to commit crimes against society. Whether or not this observation is valid in a given situation is not important: PERCEPTION is everything.

People feel more comfortable with their own kind. Thats a fact. Maybe in a different world everyone would see all others as total equals and harbor no preconceived notions....but that is not this world.

The private club made a mistake in not finding out the background info on the guests before taking their money. But, should the club lose it's members and business because the regular members will not tolerate invasions of their privacy by allowing large groups of outsiders to dominate the club? No!!

If the members found out that every Tuesday during the summer they would have to abandon their club because of the gangs of ghetto youths wanting to take over the pool, they would quit and find a club that was EXCLUSIVE, as clubs are supposed to be.

Had I been the manager, I would have allowed the kids to swim since they paid. More checking in the future would prevent this nonsense.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wow, the ignorance in this thread is truly amazing.

The report is one thing, the responses in this thread trumps the shock of the article.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich

Richie - Would you mind explaining that to the Kindergartner campers? They probably thought they did something wrong they should know they were thrown out because they had different colored skin. Be sensitive and tell each kid individually. You're not wanted here because...

Unfortunately the 7th graders probably already knew why, so you don't need to tell them. Probably made them mad.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Without sounding like a racist, I can say for a fact that black people live life in a different manner as white people. I was one of 2 white kids on the bus in 2nd grade and one of 23 white kids in that school. Out of 400 kids that year. I lived on the black side of town as well in highschool or 2 years of it anyway. Like I said I cannot really go in detail without sounding racist but I will say I was in a community pool that was full of white kids and when 3pm came and the blacks woke up and made it to the pool us white kids had no choice to leave. There was no room for us all and these black kids were flailing around like they were all drowning simultaneously. It was 4 foot deep at the deep end btw. I hope I dont sound crude. My fiance is black and gets upset with me and says I was raised a racist. Most of my schoolfriends were black but the other blacks considered them Uncle Toms so I guess they do not count. Anyway I understand them clearing out but not sure about the refund and denial. Need more facts.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Contrary to what some of you seem to believe, a private club cannot discriminate against potential applicants based on race. This is still the United States, you can't defend the rights of club owners by permitting them to violate the rights of everyone else.

No, they can not "do whatever they want" since owning a private club doesn't equate to having you own little country, but they can deny applicants or reject members if they please, for other reasons.

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

Statements like these (from the article linked) if true seem to possibly indicate that race was a factor in this reaction, although we still need more information to reach anything conclusive. It is just as foolish to dismiss the event entirely without all the facts as it is to rush to judgment with a racism verdict. Yes racism and discrimination still exist in the world.

Also to the people claiming the children were "screaming" I have to ask, where have you read anything about any disruptive behavior on the part of the children in question?

There were already children in the pool, before the 60 campers arrived.
All children tend to play loudly...I live across from a park and I can't tell you how many times I thought some kid fell and broke a leg with the way they run around and screech like banshees.

It's youthful energy.
We all had it once and still do if we're lucky.

Originally posted by JulieMills
I wonder what would happen if 60 white kids showed up at an all black pool????
whats the word for 60 beaten white kids and their group leaders?

oh yeah.. "a beat down"

Wow, you are keen on getting a race fight started aren't you?

First you bring in Obama to try and incite a political reaction, and now you add this useless "victim card" racial statement?
That some pretty big speculation there, and what a bigoted conclusion to make.

You clearly don't know what any children would do around those of another race, but maybe if you spent some time around them as a camp counselor, you would see how much the "projection" of jaded adults plays a part in the behavior of children.

Left alone they play just fine together.

It's adults that try to make them create a microcosm of the fearful world they have chose to live in.
Makes you wonder who the real children are.

That said, I think you need a time-out.

- Lee
You said it!
I lived in Philadelphia and we lived in a predominantly white area, however every year there were lots of blacks at our community pool(It was public) And my kids and I could go there also, there were never any problems and they all splashed and played together and yes we were all loud including me(I am very young at heart.) Everybody enjoyed it and nobody complained except my racist neighbor. He refused to go or let his son go to the public pool which was literally yards away!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Racism is here on ATS.. I dont care how you say it.

It went from "maybe they are misbehaving" to "they were probly misbehaving " to "Well if i had 60 misbehaving kids running into a pool I would leave to"

So what exactly is 'racist' about saying that? Have you ever been in a pool with a regular summer crowd and then suddenly have 60 camp kids show up? I'll repeat what I said ... if 60 camp kids - of any skin color - come barreling into a swimming pool over crowding it, I'd leave too. The pool would no longer be relaxing. The pool would no longer be sanitary. The lifeguards would also be over burdened. A pool over crowded with tweens and teens is NOT a place I'd want to be.

It's LAME to try to say that is racist.

Most disgusting thread i have read here.

Then, in the four days you've been a member, you haven't gotten around much.

[edit on 7/9/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
And as far as racism goes deal with it. Its here to stay since neither side will ever take the first step. Once the races are blended a lil more it will die down but there will always be groups of whites groups of blacks groups of asians groups of muslims groups of jews groups of hispanics and groups of canadians(joking) that will always stand alone and simply be racists. And parents are not always to blame. My parents never said a condeming thing towards another race. I grew a little racist inside after being around other races and having 3 guns thrown in my face by another race. That makes a person have racist thoughts no matter how open-minded you think you are. The 3rd gun in my face motivated me to move 1,376 miles from MY home because I could no longer stand the violence and ghetto mentality. Obama isnt supposed to be a saviour but an EXAMPLE of what happens when you stop blaming another race for YOUR shortcomings and errors. Whats he going to do, slap chains on white people and then no more problems?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And so all of you know there was racism on ATS WAAAAAAAY before this thread. Truthers vs sheeple, believers of aliens vs sheeple, believers in God vs sheeple, and people with avatars vs people without avatars. Racism goes a little deeper than skin color. And if you ever want to eradicate something like racism do not attempt doing so by screaming and calling someone a racist. Just say that comment offended me but I respect the First Ammendment therefore instead of responding with anger I shall now leave this thread in the same manner I entered : with the click of a button. Click.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues

The guy made a huge mistake in the words used,but he himself looked to be very spanish in race..

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

There is no such thing as a Spanish race; most Spanish are either Mediterranean white or basque.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Damn, i posted this article earlier but it seem's you beat me to it!

The TRUE problem with this is that you have black people saying it's racism, you have white people saying it's not racism all the while the comment actually given by the peeps as to why they don't want those kids there in plain sight..

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion . . . and the atmosphere of the club." So my next question becomes how many private swimming clubs actually refunded the money of 60 white kids that came to swim in their pools? And became concerned that those additional kids would "change the complexion and atmosphere of the swim club"

Jeez, black people see discrimination everywhere simply because we've been hated on so much, it's hard to see if someone is hatin because they don't like me or the color of my skin.

White folks don't see the discrimination because they don't know what to look for..but they do now when they've been discriminated against. Trust me, the ATS has plenty of articles of discrimination against white people.

At what point in time is all of bs gonna get let go? I know when..soon as those Abram tanks starts rolling over American citizens..

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You know chief, i couldn't have said it any better. There is both BLACK and WHITE racism in this country. White folks get pissed when they are hated on, as do black people.

You get morons that write stuff like the Bell Curve and mainstream eats it up, it was quoted so many times in other books i read, i had to read it and was thoroughly disgusted.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darkplanet

What the hell are you talking about man! Have you even looked at the chemical composition of the chemicals you use to put into your own hair? You need to fall back man, and actually talk about something you know.

Take this from a black guy, we go o-nat-chew-ale. Nothing gives you dandruff and messes your hair faster than those so called hair products, especially grease.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

White folks don't see the discrimination because they don't know what to look for..but they do now when they've been discriminated against. Trust me, the ATS has plenty of articles of discrimination against white people.

White people tend to stay away from areas where they will encounter discrimination, because they equate it with violence. I am not condoning that behaviour, but it is apparent in the OP article. It is more fear than hate. They literally think black people are willing and capable of doing them physical harm.

White people very seldomly find themselves in a situation where they are a minority, but black people face that situation daily.

When a white person finds themselves surrounded by black people or any other minority, they get scared, shy, introspective, etc. They just try to survive.

Black people face that situation head on out of necessity. They face it at the bank, at the job interview, in the restaurant, etc. It becomes very easy for them to recognize discrimination and deal with it accordingly.

I hope this doesn't sound too stereotypical. I made a lot of sweeping generalities, but I think they are pertinent to the discussion.

For the record, I grew up in an all white town, I never met anyone black in person until I was 16! I now live in a community that is almost exactly 50/50. I never knew about racism until I moved here! The people in my small town would use derogatory terms, but they didn't know any other way. They didn't hate the people they spoke of, it was just a cultural thing.

Now, I see racism from both sides first hand. I have many black friends, and they have visited my hometown with me. They like the novelty of it and they are not afraid. I have been the only white guy in a night club and had a great time.

Immersion in a culture is the only true answer. You don't know anything about Hawaii or Jamaica from a week at a resort, you don't know anything about black people from reading the news or having a casual conversation at work!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Ah, this is what i wanted and i believe ATS in general. A melding of minds, your post is definitely eye opening to say the least.

Star for you friend

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I simply cannot state how utterly DISGUSTED I am about this! In this day and age, for something like this to occur is MIND NUMBING!!! I am utterly ashamed to be a caucasian! SOMEBODY BETTER GET FIRED OVER THIS!!!

Edit to add: These are just CHILDREN, for crying out loud! What kind of message are we trying to send to the next generation!!!

[edit on 9-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Lou Dobbs just reported that the club is now under the investigation of some human services state department and the club president is under fire to resign.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I saw the same thing. Really a sad, sad state of affairs when some yutz thinks this way. I'm sorry, but kids are kids, no matter what their racial background. Not that I would find this acceptable even if they were adults, but with it being children, it's just exponetially more disgraceful and disgusting! Kids are innocent and just don't understand this kind of thing! I guess we still have a long, long way to go yet! I'll bet this idiot (or idiots) wouldn't have even thought about doing this if the Obama children were part of the club!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join