It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 black kids kicked out of Philly pool; Might 'Change the Complexion'...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Contrary to what some of you seem to believe, a private club cannot discriminate against potential applicants based on race. This is still the United States, you can't defend the rights of club owners by permitting them to violate the rights of everyone else.

No, they can not "do whatever they want" since owning a private club doesn't equate to having you own little country, but they can deny applicants or reject members if they please, for other reasons.

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

Statements like these (from the article linked) if true seem to possibly indicate that race was a factor in this reaction, although we still need more information to reach anything conclusive. It is just as foolish to dismiss the event entirely without all the facts as it is to rush to judgment with a racism verdict. Yes racism and discrimination still exist in the world.

Also to the people claiming the children were "screaming" I have to ask, where have you read anything about any disruptive behavior on the part of the children in question?

There were already children in the pool, before the 60 campers arrived.
All children tend to play loudly...I live across from a park and I can't tell you how many times I thought some kid fell and broke a leg with the way they run around and screech like banshees.

It's youthful energy.
We all had it once and still do if we're lucky.

Originally posted by JulieMills
I wonder what would happen if 60 white kids showed up at an all black pool????
whats the word for 60 beaten white kids and their group leaders?

oh yeah.. "a beat down"

Wow, you are keen on getting a race fight started aren't you?

First you bring in Obama to try and incite a political reaction, and now you add this useless "victim card" racial statement?
That some pretty big speculation there, and what a bigoted conclusion to make.

You clearly don't know what any children would do around those of another race, but maybe if you spent some time around them as a camp counselor, you would see how much the "projection" of jaded adults plays a part in the behavior of children.

Left alone they play just fine together.

It's adults that try to make them create a microcosm of the fearful world they have chose to live in.
Makes you wonder who the real children are.

That said, I think you need a time-out.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
if it was 60 white kids kicked out, would anyone care?

2nd line.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Alaskan Man]

Had it been 60 white kids, Michelle Malkin would have bawled her eyes out for a week and written about nothing else for a month. Everybody at the NRO would have worn black armbands and other assorted bloggers on the wingnut welfare gravy train would've bleated endlessly.

I happen to feel that a private club should be able to exclude whomever they want for whatever reason they want (the Supreme Court disagrees with me) so my gut reaction is to side with the Valley Club. Also some of my cousins are members, so I'm naturally sympathetic to the club's position.

That said, "reverse discrimination" is one of the flavors of the season among conservative activists. Any hint of "omg whites being discriminated against" is good for hundreds of blog posts and probably a couple of Fox News segments. Reverse discrimination gets mega-attention these days. The concept is as overexposed as white on black discrimination. It's like choosing between New Shrill Outrage from the Right and Shrill Outrage Classic from the Left.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Reguardless of what the article says there were white kids kicked out as well..It was on my local news yesterday,wich is Philly..Poor choice of words,plain and simple..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

If there was a clause in the contract that the membership may be revoked at anytime for violation of club policy, there is no legal standing.

All it would take is one child breaking club policy and it's all over.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
Reguardless of what the article says there were white kids kicked out as well..It was on my local news yesterday,wich is Philly..Poor choice of words,plain and simple..

Yeah, the quotation about "changing the complexion"...not the best choice of words.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In the holidays I volunteer for a charity that take's deprived kids from london on camp to the countryside in the uk. when we take them swimming in the public baths all the swimmers leave the pool. In the areas we take them its all very white and middle class, so it's a bit of shock when all these kids jump in screaming their heads off. Its funny really,but I can understand the reaction of the locals. Still its quite amusing to watch

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This sounds like complete BS to me these kids probally got kicked out for being rowdy, and wanted to cause some problems so they made it racial.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think that perhaps there may be a potential health risk involved when 60 African Americans get into a pool together. They tend to use pretty harsh chemicals in their hair care products and the result could have been wide scale skin rashes or nausea.

However, a quick shower beforehand would have negated that risk, but the story does not go into that much detail.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkplanet
I think that perhaps there may be a potential health risk involved when 60 African Americans get into a pool together. They tend to use pretty harsh chemicals in their hair care products and the result could have been wide scale skin rashes or nausea.

Perhaps that is what they meant when the said "complexion". Maybe they were referring to the oils/chemicals that would leave a film in/on the water.....maybe to the extent that the filters could not function against it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem is here. They have the NAACP and by and large if a white group of people wanted a voice in that organization PMSNBC and the rest would laugh. It would be a non-story. That is if this was about race which, I doubt....

I say it was more about social graces and afrosheen. I say more power to them and I hope they stick to their guns on this issue. "African Americans" do use some bad chemicals in their hair and I wouldn't allow them in my pool either. We also have no idea how these kids got into he pool.

Are club members used to a quiet peaceful environment and if they are did these kids create chaos when they jumped in? Did they have the "take over the pool" mentality? I suspect it had more to do with social graces than anything but that's just my opinion.

I think it's about time people start injecting logic and reason in their convoluted "I am a victim" stories.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
This sounds like complete BS to me these kids probally got kicked out for being rowdy, and wanted to cause some problems so they made it racial.

I want to believe you are 100% correct.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JulieMills

There is a good possibility of it.

The fact of the matter is, we still live in a society that has double standards when it comes to race. There have been many racial incidents involving black on white crime, etc, that never gets reported - yet national media attention gets focused on white on black crime, racial slurs, etc.

I even have FAR LEFT liberal friends who acknowledge this. There is no secret, it's just the way it is.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Damn those bigots!

Alas, it's a private club. If they choose to only allow blue eyed blond haired Germans it's their right.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

Originally posted by WisdomInChains

I want to believe you are 100% correct.

I am inclined to think the same way, but either way, that's like saying "Oh, so you think all black kids are rowdy?!?" .. and you end up a racist either way.

Most people would have just stopped attending the club instead of raise objections to the kids for fear of being labeled something by the bleeding heart crowed.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Contrary to what some of you seem to believe, a private club cannot discriminate against potential applicants based on race. This is still the United States, you can't defend the rights of club owners by permitting them to violate the rights of everyone else.

Actually the Boy Scouts led the way in that fight when they refused to allow gays in the association. Private entities have the right to exclude who ever they want, laws only protect the public domain.

In America we have the right to hate who we want, unless you believe the Government should decide for us, who to like and not like. If you don't want to associate with someone, you don't have to.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow I couldnt believe the responses....

How defensive are the people on here, I mean seriously.

HAHAHA

Why DID so many members here at ATS jump in to post replies then re-post and re-post...

Racism is here on ATS.. I dont care how you say it.

It went from "maybe they are misbehaving"
to "they were probly misbehaving "
to "Well if i had 60 misbehaving kids running into a pool I would leave to"

Now without evidence, this thread evolved to accpeted racism.
Stating "Differences in the "loudness and openess" of african american children as opposed th white children"
How is this allowed even to be on this site..
Do you have supposting eveidence to this? please post your scientific link proving this statement.

I think that on a hot day 60 kids are gonna want to go into a pool...
If your Kids was one of the kids not being let in, and everyone else was of a different race... what would you think?

To be UnBiases is the goal of a truthseeker.

To support this in anyways is like saying,

Well the government says that Iraq and Iran are full of oil and we should kill them befor they waste it all.
"Well I like to drive my car, and if someone is gonna waste all the oil i say they should die" Its the same thing... It all stems from self unworth and fear.
Whatever the reason, there could have been many other ways to deal with this.

Most disgusting thread i have read here.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Wow I couldnt believe the responses....

How defensive are the people on here, I mean seriously.

HAHAHA

Why DID so many members here at ATS jump in to post replies then re-post and re-post...

Racism is here on ATS.. I dont care how you say it.

It went from "maybe they are misbehaving"
to "they were probly misbehaving "
to "Well if i had 60 misbehaving kids running into a pool I would leave to"

Now without evidence, this thread evolved to accpeted racism.
Stating "Differences in the "loudness and openess" of african american children as opposed th white children"
How is this allowed even to be on this site..
Do you have supposting eveidence to this? please post your scientific link proving this statement.

I think that on a hot day 60 kids are gonna want to go into a pool...
If your Kids was one of the kids not being let in, and everyone else was of a different race... what would you think?

To be UnBiases is the goal of a truthseeker.

To support this in anyways is like saying,

Well the government says that Iraq and Iran are full of oil and we should kill them befor they waste it all.
"Well I like to drive my car, and if someone is gonna waste all the oil i say they should die" Its the same thing... It all stems from self unworth and fear.
Whatever the reason, there could have been many other ways to deal with this.

Most disgusting thread i have read here.

I am very sorry for beginning this thread. But, after reading the headline, I was quite shocked. I knew it would generate some discussion and talking points from the ATS community.

I did make sure to state, if only we had some real evidence of what really happened.

When I asked, "if they were misbehaving," that was to also imply the guests may have NEVER misbehaved at all. If only we had video to help back this all up.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I don't support racism AT ALL. BUT, this is a PRIVATE CLUB, and as such, they can discriminate against anyone they want. My question is: if minorities are not allowed, then how did they get access to the pool? This reeks of SETUP and Scandal.

Just my 2-cents.

The camp IS a member of the club though:

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

Therefore, this IS discrimination, and it IS unlawful.

This reminds me of the attitude I found prevalent with the many gated communities on Hilton Head Island, SC, and I never cease to be sickened by ignorant snots such as these.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hey Im from NE philly, where is this private club lol

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
one of the kids qoated that one of the moms said" what the hell are all of these black kids doing"...the club may not be racist but they took the racist side on this one and kicked them out because there minoritys,regardless they paid to play,the club knew what they were doing when they took there money simple as that.......they will get sued and they will lose simple as that lol....now if they told them to leave because there was 2 many wild kids acting crazy then thats a different story but no.......they were to black for the pool that day lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join