It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 black kids kicked out of Philly pool; Might 'Change the Complexion'...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This seemed very fitting.

Sometimes people get roudy when they are around friends and managed to piss off the wrong person who had the power to throw them out.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Is it possible they just caused too much trouble that first, and only, day they were there? Perhaps they were not abiding by the rules and the other club members exited so they weren't associated with the guests.
I tried checking to see if there was any YouTube footage...it'd be interesting to see the behavior of the guests and what impact that actually had on their access being denied.

So because they are black they started trouble. That's pretty racist in itself. I knew plenty of those snot nosed "Preppy's" growing up and they were very good at starting their own trouble. Kids are kids. Don't tell me they (the white kids) always followed the rules, because most I knew growing up thought their S*** Didn't stink and they didn't have to follow rules cause they were "Priveledged". And Yes I am white, I grew up middle class, and I was treated very badly by those, but on the bright side, none of them could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
They soon learned this was a B**** they didn't want to mess with. That's what the black kids should've done, but they simply left and went for news coverage, which shows they didn't cause the problems, the snooty, white preppys did!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Their behavior was never mentioned. It wouldn't have mattered if they were rowdy or behaving like perfect little gentlemen, though. Valley is a very good club (a couple of my cousins are members) and it is notoriously, pretty overtly "restricted" (read: only token, carefully selected, blacks allowed).

The club has been sued before for similar incidents and has always prevailed. Philly is a very closed, very tight knit, society at its upper levels and when it comes down to it, most judges remember where they came from (read: NOT the ghetto) and where their funding comes from (read: NOT a bunch of inner city kids at day camp).

Whether you think private clubs have the right to restrict their membership for any reason (I do) or not, don't kid yourself. This IS a race and class issue. A bunch of white kids from day camp would have been tolerated longer, although a bunch of poor white kids probably wouldn't have been allowed back for a second day regardless of how long their pass was for.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by babbleonian
reply to post by FlyersFan

Their behavior was never mentioned. It wouldn't have mattered if they were rowdy or behaving like perfect little gentlemen, though. Valley is a very good club (a couple of my cousins are members) and it is notoriously, pretty overtly "restricted" (read: only token, carefully selected, blacks allowed).

The club has been sued before for similar incidents and has always prevailed. Philly is a very closed, very tight knit, society at its upper levels and when it comes down to it, most judges remember where they came from (read: NOT the ghetto) and where their funding comes from (read: NOT a bunch of inner city kids at day camp).

Whether you think private clubs have the right to restrict their membership for any reason (I do) or not, don't kid yourself. This IS a race and class issue. A bunch of white kids from day camp would have been tolerated longer, although a bunch of poor white kids probably wouldn't have been allowed back for a second day regardless of how long their pass was for.

Right that's exactly what I was saying. However the "restricted" club sold their membership to the Day Camp they buried themselves. And they(Valleysun or whatever) can also be sued by the little twits that "Are allowed" for the private club selling membership to the Day Camp. They can now get it from both ends. Usually the members have representatives and have say in if the private establishment will be able to sell membership to certain other groups, but if nobody from the Members Representatives were asked and/or consulted in this sale then their members now have good backing for a lawsuit too.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yeah. Somebody at the club screwed the pooch on this one.

I would assume there will be a fairly generous out of court settlement on this one. Even if the club won a suit in this case, the negative publicity would be a huge embarrassment.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if 60 white kids showed up at an all black pool????
whats the word for 60 beaten white kids and their group leaders?

oh yeah.. "a beat down"

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

reply to post by ldyserenity

Yeah. Somebody at the club screwed the pooch on this one.

I would assume there will be a fairly generous out of court settlement on this one. Even if the club won a suit in this case, the negative publicity would be a huge embarrassment.

If I were those 60 children and their parents I would just happily take my money back. Who wants to be associated with "stuck up" people anyway? Lawsuit? I doubt it. America is Way past racism and pulling the race card is just not kosher now that we have a black president. As far as negative publicity...well maybe...negative in the eyes of minorities...but a confirming trust towards the people that seek that kind of private "club". Al and Jessie will be all over this, but their loud mouths will fade away quickly, as they just want to get in their face time...then move on to something else that is the "headline of the day".

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I get it all the time, and I really do nothing racist at all, I actually treat black people 100 times nicer then white people just so Al Sharpton doesnt knock on my door or the NAACP files me a nice lawsuit.

What you are claiming is blatant racism! Treating black people better than white is just as racist. Giving a condescending smile to someone in a wheel chair is wrong. We need to treat everyone the same. Going out of our way to be PC or nice is just as much a problem as being racist. In fact a lot of my black friends prefer the racist, because at least it is out in the open.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If I were those 60 children and their parents I would just happily take my money back. Who wants to be associated with "stuck up" people anyway? Lawsuit?

There would have been no lawsuit if the membership was denied in the beginning.

In this case, irrepairable damage was done, and the lawsuit will be huge, as it should be. Those kids do not understand why they had to leave the pool. They were not doing anything wrong!

This is one of the few cases that I am all for the lawsuit. I would hate to be one of those parent's explaining to an elementary kid that the pool was "white only"!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
There would have been no lawsuit if the membership was denied in the beginning.

Of course, we do not yet know WHAT the premise was when the memberships were sold...That WILL make a difference. Plus I doubt those kids are suffering mentally...they will find somewhere to swim.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
m but really private clubs can do what they like,

Man, I wish that were true, but it's not. Yes, they have a some license to be selective with their membership and get away with some things that a public facility would not, but the reality that we see unfolding every day is that the government, egged on by extreme liberalism, will rake ANYONE through the coals to spare the feelings of sixty kids and make themselves appear as though they give a crud about anyone. If they don't pay any attention to the Constitution, why would they care about the charter of some piddly private club?

Was the club rude and snobby and just plane mean? Yeah, probably, and they will probably pay for it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Something about this story just doesn't "FEEL" right.
I'm not saying it didn't happen but I wonder if the story if it's real hasn't been scewed in some manner....

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
hmm Maybe, 60 more kids was waaay to much for the pool? and asked to leave.

Maybe the term, "[color=limegreen]no unsupervised minors" was used?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Something about this story just doesn't "FEEL" right.
I'm not saying it didn't happen but I wonder if the story if it's real hasn't been scewed in some manner....

That's why I really wish somebody had been inadvertently video recording their kids that day and could upload the video to YouTube for others to get a glimpse of the environment that day.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Republican08

I get it all the time, and I really do nothing racist at all, I actually treat black people 100 times nicer then white people just so Al Sharpton doesnt knock on my door or the NAACP files me a nice lawsuit.

What you are claiming is blatant racism! Treating black people better than white is just as racist. Giving a condescending smile to someone in a wheel chair is wrong. We need to treat everyone the same. Going out of our way to be PC or nice is just as much a problem as being racist. In fact a lot of my black friends prefer the racist, because at least it is out in the open.

Exactly that's why I say I hate all people equally. Because they all suck according to me...lol.
If I treat anyone well or with respect it's cause I know them personally and don't hate them because they have proven worthy of my friendship...I'm downright very unfriendly to anybody else...black, white, red, gray, green I don't care. If you can see past my attitude, or can understand it and you really know me, then youre worthy. that's the way I feel!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

You would just get the portion where everyone is nice and quite while the managers are telling them they have to leave.

This would have to be one helluva big pool. 60 kids, plus the regular members would require alot of room. Regular members get priority. If a day pass is impeding on the comfort of year round members then the day passer gets a swift kick out the door.

I would really like to see a picture of that pool.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The same thing happens with real estate. If you have a white neighborhood and one or two black people move in, its no big deal. If a sizable portion move into the neighborhood then all the white people move away. It happens all the time.

So its a pool full of white kids, who year in and year out have only seen white kids at the pool. Now, here comes a group of 60 black kids who, im sorry to say, are probably much louder, and rowdy.

The black culture is very different then the white culture in terms of the way they act around each other. I had to leave my sisters graduation because her school had a sizable portion of black people with their families in the crowd who constantly yelled, stamping their feet, jumping up and down out of their seat, making stupid noises, and being the type of people I could not wait to get away from. On the other hand, the white parents clapped when they were supposed to, the children stayed in their seats, were quiet when others were talking, and were all well mannered.

Why is it like this? I have no idea.

I'm sure it was no different at this pool, and thats why all the white children left the water.

When you're used to a quiet, relaxing day at the pool and find a group of 60 kids acting totally unlike anyone usually does, of course you are going to cause people to distance themselves from you.

Self control, manners, and politeness are something everybody can learn.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

As far as negative publicity...well maybe...negative in the eyes of minorities...but a confirming trust towards the people that seek that kind of private "club"

No. "The people that seek that kind of private club" want freedom from demonstrations, complications, reporters, and scrutiny. If this were to become a national issue, then members with statewide or certainly national political ambitions would have to resign their memberships. Like I said, the pooch was screwed twice here--once when someone sold a day pass to the wrong group and then again when someone decided to evict said group from the pool on sight. The only thing worse than sharing a pool with undesirable people is kicking out these undesirables and then having the media show up.

Race relations in Philly are more strained than in much of the country, especially because of lingering hard feelings over late 80s/early 90s boomtime "gentrification" of old neighborhoods. My best friend's father made a mint essentially evicting whole buildings of poor blacks, fixing them up, and renting them at insanely high prices to Yuppies/post-Yuppies. The black community (and, surprisingly enough, big pockets of working class whites) haven't forgotten this era.

Philadelphia society does not want unnecessary scandals. I'd be surprised if this stays in the news long, because payoffs will be made to all necessary parties, as quickly as possible.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

As far as negative publicity...well maybe...negative in the eyes of minorities...but a confirming trust towards the people that seek that kind of private "club"

No. "The people that seek that kind of private club" want freedom from demonstrations, complications, reporters, and scrutiny. If this were to become a national issue, then members with statewide or certainly national political ambitions would have to resign their memberships. Like I said, the pooch was screwed twice here--once when someone sold a day pass to the wrong group and then again when someone decided to evict said group from the pool on sight. The only thing worse than sharing a pool with undesirable people is kicking out these undesirables and then having the media show up.

Race relations in Philly are more strained than in much of the country, especially because of lingering hard feelings over late 80s/early 90s boomtime "gentrification" of old neighborhoods. My best friend's father made a mint essentially evicting whole buildings of poor blacks, fixing them up, and renting them at insanely high prices to Yuppies/post-Yuppies. The black community (and, surprisingly enough, big pockets of working class whites) haven't forgotten this era.

Philadelphia society does not want unnecessary scandals. I'd be surprised if this stays in the news long, because payoffs will be made to all necessary parties, as quickly as possible.

I respectfully disagree. Only time will tell though.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
if it was 60 white kids kicked out, would anyone care?

2nd line.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Alaskan Man]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join