It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's Cyber Attack: An Act of War, or No?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
North Korea's cyber attack has got me wondering. Would cyberwarfare constitute an act of aggression. Although they targeted websites that were mainly for public consumption, it was still an assault on federal property.

Personally, I believe, for the sake of the American and Korean people, it should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. However, I can see how one could make the argument that it is indeed an act of war.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

I was asking myself this question.I suppose it would depend on where the cyber attack was aimed .If it was at US military or domestic flights(air traffic control etc) then no question act of war.However if it was aimed at google or youtube then not an act of war.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
They could be making a point you know.
"look at us.. we can attack your internet, we are not the backwater fools you take us for!"

Its like test firing missiles. Flexing their muscles in public view.
If they intended to do damage to more important and sensative sites then they could but just like missiles... the reprisals would be bad.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
North Korea's cyber attack has got me wondering. Would cyberwarfare constitute an act of aggression. Although they targeted websites that were mainly for public consumption, it was still an assault on federal property.

Personally, I believe, for the sake of the American and Korean people, it should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. However, I can see how one could make the argument that it is indeed an act of war.

First of all, you mean North Korea's "alleged" cyber attack (notice the difference in wording). If North Korea hasn't admitted to any cyber attack, then where is the evidence for this??

And you didn't provide a news link or anything? Okay, so we're supposed just "know" that North Korea is guity because the Western news media says so, and that North Korea performed a cyber attack. Man, folks can just make anything up.

From what I hear, most folks don't even have TVs in North Korea, now you're saying that they have not only TV, but the Internet, too? And with the rolling power black outs, they'd have to reboot every second or two. That on its own would prevent a sustained cyber attack. They'd need at least one nuclear power plant to enable the attack and the light bulbs for their people without a black out.

I don't buy the propaganda. It's just bull.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
From what I hear, most folks don't even have TVs in North Korea, now you're saying that they have not only TV, but the Internet, too? And with the rolling power black outs, they'd have to reboot every second or two. That on its own would prevent a sustained cyber attack. They'd need at least one nuclear power plant to enable the attack and the light bulbs for their people without a black out.

I don't buy the propaganda. It's just bull.

Please don't confuse the technological capabilities of the impoverished people of North Korea with those possessed by the North Korean government. Rest assured, neither the government or the military have experienced power outages, and they've got lots o' TV's and plenty of high speed internet connectivity. It's a good thing to not buy propaganda, but it's a bad thing to make careless assumptions and ignore the facts.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, just because the people of NK don't have internet and TV and such doesn't mean the government doesn't. I mean, really, they'd have to, don't ya think? At least the only three people in NK who qualify.

Besides, I read that China may have been behind it as well, but whether on behalf of NK or not the story didn't say. And China has been thought to have hacked into the government computers before haven't they?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Well regardless its time to take out the North Korean regime . Forget Iran the end of the road has been reached with a crazy regime that flaunts the fact it has Nuclear Weapons to the rest of the world . Unfortunately the stalemate in which the Korean War ended has ultimately lead us to where we are today .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
For me..i believe other nation is behind this attack or maybe terrorists with the primary target US...and South Korea used so that everyone obviously think Nk is behind this..also...please help me in realizing why such a cyber attack is dangerous?..deleting data? use US missles onto US?...crash the market?..steal Top Secret information?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Well regardless its time to take out the North Korean regime . Forget Iran the end of the road has been reached with a crazy regime that flaunts the fact it has Nuclear Weapons to the rest of the world . Unfortunately the stalemate in which the Korean War ended has ultimately lead us to where we are today .

Cheers xpert11 .

How are you going to take them out when N.Korea has the destruction of seoul card up its sleeve? I say we let things calm down and then get to the bargaining table with real worthwhile offers.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I said earlier... I have back traced NK hacks for over a deacade

What has changed?

They are getting better at it.

If NK is good at one thing

it's accessing our data

nothing anyone didn't know prior

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well, better that they're doing it during a non-crises so, we can be better prepared in the future.

Or perhaps it's just another false flag operation in order to demonize NK, so the military industrial complex can have a public excuse for starting another war.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
How are you going to take them out when N.Korea has the destruction of seoul card up its sleeve?

A valid question . Now I want to make it clear that I don't like advocating the course of action that I am but as I said the end of the road has been reached . . Concentrated fire power would break the back of the North Korean military allowing enemy units to be cut off . Admittedly the problems would be enemy agents during and after the conflict as well as dealing with enemy infiltration . Also a reunified Korea would present massive economic problems .

I say we let things calm down and then get to the bargaining table with real worthwhile offers.

That has already been tried the North Korean regime is just to far off balance to work .

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Very dangerous territory with these cyber attacks..just too many things are fed through the internet nowadays..

And dont think for a second that NK's gov. doesnt have the best of the best puters and tech your only fooling yourself..

I laugh when I read what people think of NK,there people are forced to live like bums so there government must just be in the extra large refrigerater box at the end of the block..

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So far there's no actual proof that N. Korea was behind any of the attacks. It's just to easy to steal an identity on the Net.

I doubt if there will ever be any concrete proof.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

Cocrete Proof? Since when has the west needed concrete proof to go to war? WMDs and all that jazz.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I don't think there is any denying that U.S.-North Korean relations have reached a rather perilous point. I do not wish for war, for the suffering it will bring upon South Korea would be unbelievable. The toll it would take on the world economy would be tremendous as well, as the ROK currently has the 15th largest economy in the world.

But if North Korea continues to assault us, even if it is over cyberspace, I am not sure how we can stand idly by and let this happen. We often forget that the Korean War never ended. Such things that do not end must end eventually, correct?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
We often forget that the Korean War never ended. Such things that do not end must end eventually, correct?

For sure . Enough restraint has existed in the past that that incidents along the border of North and South Korea have not seen the war formally started a fresh . People seem to forgot that in the past escape routes have been given to the North Korean regime that has allowed them to save face . In return they have forced themselves into a corner by developing Nuclear Weapons .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

People also (conveniently) ignore the fact that for all of North Korea's talk about "U.S. imperialist aggression," it is North Korea that has repeatedly attempted to harm South Korea. During the 1950s and 1960s, North Korean commandos and spies made various incursions into South Korea. In 1968, they even came close to collapsing tthe ROK government. Through the 1970s and 1980s, they dug many tunnels to infiltrate the ROK, and they even killed an American soldier in 1976.

People accuse the U.S. of wanting a war. To be honest, I do not blame the U.S. for feeling that way.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I smell a false flag here. I just haven’t figured out who benefits from a war with NK.

China? I dunno.

Maybe the MI complex is getting greedy.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

For the most part I think that you are looking for a conspiracy where there is none . The fact that a unified Korea would take say ten years to recover from all the expected problems rules out any economic gain on the part of South Korea . Sure China would benefit from the filling the economic vacuum left by the downfall of North Korea but they seem to be more contend to use North Korea as a political tool against the US the consequences be dammed .

Cheers xpert11 .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join