It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top US Military Officer Sees 'Narrow Window' to Stop Iran's Nuclear Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Top US Military Officer Sees 'Narrow Window' to Stop Iran's Nuclear Program

www.voanews.com

Admiral Mullen said the way to avoid a nuclear Iran and a military strike against it is through dialogue, like the renewed contacts that President Barack Obama has proposed.

"There is a great deal that certainly depends on the dialogue and the engagement. And I think we need to do that, with all options remaining on the table - including, certainly, military options," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Some people ahve been claiming that the Obama administration would not do the same as the Bush administration, but once again we see the oposite happening.

First of all, I do not condone war, although i do understand the position that Israel is in, and don't condemn Israel entirely like some people do.

Second of all, even though Admiral Mullen says this can be solved with dialogue, this is not true very often, and even he says all options should stay in the table, including military operations.

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I don't see any reason to kill people for building a nuclear power plant. America builds nuclear power plants and no one bombs them for it. Heck, they even killed zillions with nukes and nobody did anything about it.

Even if Iran was able to build nuclear weapons, I don't see why we should kill them for it. I mean, Israel has nuclear weapons and we haven't bombed them yet, so what makes Iran any different?

I've never seen Iran attack another country with anything. In contrast, I've seen both Israel and the United States attack other countries without restraint.

I don't see the problem with Iran. I say leave them alone.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

First of all, there weren't "zillions" of people killed by the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that was in response for the Japanese unprovoked attacked on the U.S.

Second of all, they already have nuclear power plants, and the problem is not any peaceful powerplants, the problem is they were working for over 20 years covertly, meanwhile claiming to the world they didn't, in building nuclear weapons.

Third of all, Israel has atomic weapons thanks to France, yet Israel has never used them, or systematically been calling for the total destruction of Iran, yet the Iranian regime has been systematically calling for the destruction of Israel.

Fourth of all, it is a known fact that the Iranian regime recruits terrorists against the west, and against Israel, they are behind many of the insurgents in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

iran be allowe to go nuke? It is not in our interest.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
First of all, there weren't "zillions" of people killed by the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that was in response for the Japanese unprovoked attacked on the U.S.

The United States attacked Iraq unprovoked...

Second of all, they already have nuclear power plants, and the problem is not any peaceful powerplants, the problem is they were working for over 20 years covertly, meanwhile claiming to the world they didn't, in building nuclear weapons.

I don't see any covert nuclear weapons programs. Do you have evidence of any? And even if they were working covertly on any nuclear power plants, which they weren't, that isn't a reason to shoot bombs and missles at them. There's still no logic there.

Third of all, Israel has atomic weapons thanks to France, yet Israel has never used them, or systematically been calling for the total destruction of Iran, yet the Iranian regime has been systematically calling for the destruction of Israel.

Israel is constantly threatening pre-emptive strikes on Iran's nuclear sites. America has even said they'd bomb Iranian nuclear sites. And as far as I've been reading on ATS and elsewhere, it was a misquote when someone claimed Ahmadinejad said he wanted to wipe Israel off the map.

Fourth of all, it is a known fact that the Iranian regime recruits terrorists against the west, and against Israel, they are behind many of the insurgents in Iraq.

Again, where is the evidence?? Anyone can claim that another country is sending terrorists after you, but where is the evidence? Just because America says something, it doesn't make it so. Wanting something doesn't mean that you get it.

Still, there's no logic to shooting missles and bombs at folks without some kind of logical reason of some sort. And, I want something with meat... something that I can sink my teeth into.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The article is correct, dialogue is the best way to handle the problem in a way that avoids military action. However, it would be crazy to not have the military option on the table.

I think it's a touchy situation because it's hard to know for certain if Iran is going to attempt to produce nuclear weapons if they have not started the process already. The best thing to do would be to have their nuclear activities supervised without restriction. At the moment the US and Russia are trying to reduce the number of nuclear weapons in the world, we don't need new ones being created.

Dialogue is going to be useless if Iran starts testing nuclear weapons. Look at North Korea, nobody stopped them and now we are dealing with the consequences of inaction.

In all honesty I don't know what we should do. That's primarily why I don't run for office, I don't want that job.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Let Israel deal with it, anyway the US empire is over. The US will be a third world country in a few months.

So who cares what the US says.

Soon, what the US says will be as meaningless as when Somalia is speaking.

Europe and the US will have to face the fact that now the SCO and BRIC will control the game.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Oh boy...

Q&A on Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program

Posted: September 24, 2008

Iran's nuclear program is clearly intended to develop a nuclear weapons capability. For 17 years, it was kept secret, even though international assistance would have been available to a civilian program. In 2002, Iran's covert program was exposed. Since then, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly said that it cannot consider Iran's nuclear program as entirely civilian, because it has too many unanswered questions. The IAEA has reported on Iranian technical documents that concern warhead design, production of a uranium core for nuclear weapons, adaptation of missiles to carry nuclear warheads, missile warhead detonation at 1800 feet of altitude (which only makes sense for a nuclear weapon), and underground nuclear test silos.

www.adl.org...

Notice the word nuclear WEAPONS program....

BTW, about the claim that Iran never called for Israel to be wiped off the map..

From same link above.

Last, but not least, there have been several threads about the fact that the Iranian regime has used terrorists against the west, and Israel...

This thread is not about that in particular... it is about what Admiral Mullen stated. They are not taking off the table a military option.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

And if you think that is good for you and the people of the world, you have a big surprise waiting for you.

I do not think it will be in a couple of months anyway.

new topics

top topics

join