It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No concept of Time??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have always thought that the universe was created by intelligent design because of it's sheer perfection. Everything seems to have a specific purpose that maintains life's delicate balance. I could not begin to imagine the mathematical odds of all these things in the universe coming together just so as to create and sustain life, talk about coincidences.
Well, here is another coincidence. How could humans have any concept of time without the stars and planets? Humans mapped the stars for thousands of years. Our calenders are based on the movements of stars and planets. We would only have night and day without them. The sun only enables us to track day time. Not only do the heavens determine the modes in which we think, but how we live as well.
How different would life be if it was just us and the sun?

Comments?

[edit on 8-7-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We would find ways of judging time.

This kind of thinking is like thinking there can be no parallel universes, because we couldn't even fathom the laws of physics they have over yonder.

As far as I know, we haven't seen the edge of the universe, so it's still really super friggin big, and the chances of winning the lotto are extremely low, but people do win.

Although I find your thread simplistic at that, I know that if someone were to really look at it, and think paranoidally at all to take from this, it's a very complicated and quite nasty view to encounter! All in all a fun logical puzzle at that though! Judging the book at first it looks like an easy question but it's not at all!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't count dates by looking at stars. I can't even see them, usually this country is too cloudy. I do it by counting days, as does everyone else. The concept of a month could still be thought up. There is nothing rooted in reality about a month, it is a human creation, related to the position of the earth. We could still arbitrarily have months, they could just be 30 of those day and night cycles we see. Other animals do not know what month it is, they just know what season it is.

Think of someone in a star ship travelling across space. They have none of the comforts of living on earth that would tell them the time. But they have some onboard system that calculates time like they would back home.

We make the time.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by AR154]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

The way I see it is that we only look at the "mathematical odds" as being astounding because math...and more so TIME is man made. Time, as it is kept by mankind, is nothing more than a numerical standard invented to serve mans need to explain the dimension of "time"....I hope that made sense LOL. Anyway, our way of keeping time is flawed in the sense that we have to throw in an extra day every 4 calendar years to make up for the inaccuracies in our keeping track of it. That is anything but astounding odds.

Just my 2-cents.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I thought that `time` was just a matter of being able to perceive motion.

Everything we think or observe is individual/species specific, so I have no idea if the universe has perfection and fits together so well, the constant redistribution of energy and matter seems to point towards a conflict for many, but I just basically see the parts of a whole ( this seems to be agreeable to everyone,`whole`) reconfiguring through varying degrees of motion resulting in impacts or repulsion.

I do disagree with an evolutionary description of chance/chaos with no purpose or allowance for properties interacting with the `whole`, in this case the environment in biological life but I also find it difficult to convince myself of the importance of what I see.

Where does this leave me...I think that every motion/collision is not being directed by another vitalistic force but I see a familiar number of elements/properties interacting...I see both the appearance of chance and design...then can find no firm grouding for my perception of the universe.

top topics

join