It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

alterior motive to alternate energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
One of the problems with a site like ATS is that you are surrounded by like minded individuals; most debates tend to fall towards bashing or unrelated posts. Sometimes it's hard to see a different perspective when all you see are thoughts that match your own or are unproductive.

Which is why what I am about to convey is rather... interesting.

A friend and I were discussing the carbon cap and trade bill, and how "bent out of shape" I was with it, with higher electric / heating bills, higher gas prices, stuff like that... and how I am all set to purchase a [product name] wind turbine which produces [so many] watts for [undisclosed amount] of money.

"So what you're saying," my friend says "is that you are following the cap and trade."

After some discussion, he explained...

In essence, if I am using alternative means to free myself from buying into carbon emissions, I'm doing what the initial intent of the bill was for.

Is this a ploy? Is this what we are meant to do? With each of us becoming more independent, do we not make the nation as a whole independent?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

This is exactly their intent but it's still about the dollars, mind you. GE has a huge stake for this cap and trade bill. They are set to regulate the credits and of course, they are one of the primary distributpors to wind energy, fluorescent bulbs (Hmm, Obama is about to pass a new light bulb bill forcing consumers to purchase these light bulbs) and other energy alternatives. This bill will make GE BILLIONS of dollars and with being the regulator of the credits, will be able to mandate their competitors.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It seems as that, but in reality I doubt your wind turbine will produce all the energy that you need.

The intent of this bill is for people to do what you are doing, but more importantly for companies to reduce their carbon footprint. It sounds good on paper, but it is still a pipe dream. Most businesses will just close down and this will consolidate power to the major conglomerates that can afford it.

I would love to have my electricity produced from on my property, but the reality is that they aren't working for personal solutions, the power companies want to keep people connected to the grid.

new topics

join