It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA Satellite Survey Reveals Dramatic Arctic Sea Ice Thinning

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c95efcbebef4.jpg[/atsimg]

Using ICESat measurements, scientists found that overall Arctic sea ice thinned about 0.17 meters (7 inches) a year, for a total of 0.68 meters (2.2 feet) over four winters. The total area covered by the thicker, older "multi-year" ice that has survived one or more summers shrank by 42 percent

Well ...
After that, global warming deniers will shut up, unless they're shameless !

We will have very quickly to suffer from these tremendous temperatures changings : the whole equilibrium between northern and equatorial air and water temperatures is blown off.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I call it solar warming.....yeah, I guess we humans are effecting other planets too, DAMN

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
good thread. at this rate, the ice wont be there for very much longer. proves that something is affecting our earths climate

the human race? sunspots? or just a natural change in earths matter during its path through space.

it would be interesting to see comparable changes in other planets near us. that information might eliminate some possible answers.

very curious.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

please explain this
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbba7d8377e2.jpg[/atsimg]

How is it possible that back in 900AD we had a warming cycle? We didn't have too much industry around then. In fact, I am not sure we had any factories running quite yet. So maybe "Global Warming" is just a political tool used by tools, and the climate change we are seeing is a NATURAL CYCLE. Far be it from me to actually do any reaserch on the subject though. I would rather listen to Al Gore to get my info.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
How about they show us the other SIDE of the ice where its thickening?

Or how about they show us the pictures over a period of time that shows it thinning then thickening?
This is just the pathetic propaganda junk science that is about to enslave all human beings more than we could ever imagine.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Thinning..thickening? just pick one for christs sake,reports are contradicting themselves all the time.This kinda crap should be in ripleys believe it or not...step right up ladies and gentleman,witness the amazing,never before seen thinning ice sheet thats thickening at the same time!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The same article from which came your graph ( source ) says, just after it :

According to the study (NRC, 2006): • There is a high level of confidence that the global average temperature during the last few decades was warmer than any comparable period during the last 400 years. • Present evidence suggests that temperatures at many, but not all, individual locations were higher during the past 25 years than any period of comparable length since A.D. 900.
However, uncertainties associated with this statement increase substantially backward in time. • Very little confidence can be assigned to estimates of hemisphere average or global average temperature prior to A.D. 900 due to limited data coverage and challenges in analyzing older data.

So What ? I don't understand WHY you are denying whith such harshness, the fact that there IS indeed, a global warming, man made or not.

For the man-made hypothesis, here is by the same "National Research Council" (NRC), an article who emphasizes the fact that there has NEVER been such an increase of CO2 even if we go back a long period in the past, and this is particularily true if we look at the VERTICAL RED BAR which corresponds to the LAST CENTURY !

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4ea75538b49.gif[/atsimg]

So, please, don't deny the facts, unless you're defending the right to pollute endlessly our little planet.

If so, you and your children will have to pay at a high price such stubornless behavior.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by orkson]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

Since when was CO2 classed as a pollutant? im all for cleaning up the world...CO2 isn't on my list though.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
CO2 is a gas that is essential to life. Carbon monoxide is toxic gas. Perhaps you are confused about the two? As for the so called "global warming", well that's what happens when the earth comes out of an ice age, it gets warmer. I'd bet my last dollar that eventually the earth will cool down once again. Earth will take care of itself, with or without us.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

I don't confuse CO and CO2.

Your signature is :

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Well... WE are animals, aren't we ?
"Intelligent" ones, as it is presumed ...

So, I'd say : "The greatness of a civilization and its moral progress can be judged by the way MEN are treating GAIA, our mother-earth".

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by A Mere Human

Yes, it's called nature.

Most of Earths history has been without a polar ice cap.

So, if most of Earths history has been without one, then why are WE as humans attempting to change our climate to keep one? Just so our coastal cities aren't put in danger? Trillions of dollars at stake you know.

Isn't that the exact opposite of the global warming wackos want? The planet is going back to what it would do with or without us.

I'm perfectly fine without a Polar Ice Cap, and so has our planet and life. In a few thousand years everyone will be talking about Global Cooling and how to prevent that very same ice cap from re-forming. Unless of course by then they have the basic understanding that the energy output of the Sun is not a constant, and neither is our distance.

The Earth a dynamic system.

It's pretty laughable at best, until you realize they want to take more of your money in the name of global warming when it's really nature -- not man, that causes it.

It really is the greatest scam of history.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

Gandhi was not referring to humans. Humans are one of a kind!! A deceitful, conniving, hateful, vengeful, and murdering species, animals are better than us.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Earth will take care of itself, with or without us

Man, you've got a problem ...

Unless the fate of billions of humans on earth is not concerning you, you should remember what is at stake :
- starvation caused by sterile lands and lack of water.
- floodings covering whole countries.
- extreme weather phenomenons
- etc ...

Muslims say "Inch Allah" ... That is : "All is written, as it is the will of Allah".

MEN, i mean WILLING MEN, say : "there is NO fatality, and we MUST fight when the fate of my brother humans is at stake"

You may stay sitted whis your crossed arms on your belly, waiting that "Earth takes care of itself with or without us".

I'm not the only one to think that WITH us is better, and WITHOUT is not an option.

To achieve this, let's begin to admit that WE are PART of the solution.
Let's admit that things cannot continue on the same path.
Let's admit that we've gone too far, and it's maybe time to change our values, our behaviour, our wills, our greed ...

And maybe Earth will evolve WITH us.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by orkson

The water just moves....it doesnt dissapear.

With incresed CO2 levels vegitation size will increse an average of 30% world wide.

What COMPANYS are crying over is that many of the resources are going to MOVE... away from these fancy citys and factorys we have built. People unfortunatley do not want to adapt or move... and they have built their entire society on a basis of never moving and being retarded. So people are going to die because of this mentality regardless. The incresed vegitation will CONSUME the co2 and convert it to oxygen.

Remeber when plants created to much oxygen and they started dying creating massive piles of plant corpses that got buried and turned to oil?!!!!! Or remeber when creatures first evolved to breath oxygen and release teh co2 trapped in all of those graveyards?!!!!!!

O THE HUMANITY!!!!!! What have we done?!?!?!?! what evil has transpired here?????!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
HOME

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If you've got problem with the link "Home" :
HOME
OR
HOME-English

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
A 5 year detailed ice analysis of the polar caps of the earth which is hundreds of millions of years old is supposed to do what exactly? We already know at some point Antarctica wasn't covered by ice. I hardly doubt if the sea levels rise an inch a year that there will be mass devastation on the coastal lines. If anything we'll have MORE places to live and grow food, I mean look at all the real estate in Canada that would be livable for a change.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The thinning ice could also be the result of venting by undersea volcanic activity.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

The solar warming thing has been debunked.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Not Authorized
reply to post by A Mere Human

Yes, it's called nature.

What exactly is the driving force, do you know?

[Most of Earths history has been without a polar ice cap.

Ok that answers my question that you don't know. The times we don't have an ice cap is when the Earth is heating up for another ice age. Considering we have 90k years till the next ice age, probably 60k-70 k for it to heat up, there shouldn't be cap melting.

Oh, and when the planet does change its temperature, it about .5 degrees every CENTURY.

So we should NOT be able to see changes in our lifetime. Much less in four years.

So, if most of Earths history has been without one, then why are WE as humans attempting to change our climate to keep one? Just so our coastal cities aren't put in danger? Trillions of dollars at stake you know.

Again, do your research.

Isn't that the exact opposite of the global warming wackos want? The planet is going back to what it would do with or without us.

Its nice you give the planet so much credit, but that is just an explanation for sheer laziness. it was also the industrial concept of an earlier CENTURY that should of died then.

The human body is much like the planet. With an ability to regulate itself. But if you take in too much salt, it starts to have trouble regulating. Take in too much sugar, more troubles. Malnutrion? has trouble defending itself. Gets a disease? All hell breaks loose.

We have effectively removed a lot of the Earth's defenses. The Mississippi River can't even flood anymore. To say the Earth can recover is nothing more then a cop out.

I'm perfectly fine without a Polar Ice Cap, and so has our planet and life. In a few thousand years everyone will be talking about Global Cooling and how to prevent that very same ice cap from re-forming. Unless of course by then they have the basic understanding that the energy output of the Sun is not a constant, and neither is our distance.

You have absolutley no knowledge of how the ecology works and shouldnt' even be participating in this discussion.

The Earth a dynamic system.

So lets not ruin it.

[It's pretty laughable at best, until you realize they want to take more of your money in the name of global warming when it's really nature -- not man, that causes it.

What money would that be exactly?

It really is the greatest scam of history.

Considering you don't even have a basic knowledge of ecology, there is no way for you to determine that. Other then the usual rebellious, I am gonna go against what society says, syndrome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join