It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSW State Govt Bans Bottled Water

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

NSW State Govt Bans Bottled Water

www.news.com.au

NSW Premier Nathan Rees has announced an immediate ban on all departments and agencies buying bottled water, including supplies for water coolers.

He says it is the first step in a government campaign to significantly reduce the consumption of bottled water in the community.

The announcement comes hours before the village of Bundanoon in NSW's Southern Highlands is expected to declare a voluntary ban on bottled water at a town meeting tonight.

In what is believed to be an Australian first, all businesses in the town have already agreed to stop selling bottled-water products.

Mr Re
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/7/09 by dallas18]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Well this is certainly weird. They are banning bottled water because of the pollution caused by the plastic bottle?? What about all the other plastic bottle items you can purchase? Bottled water should be the last thing they ban. Or maybe its because they want more people getting hooked on the flouride!

I found this line very amusing:

"The bottled water industry has managed to convince people that bottled water is somehow pure or better for you than water you drink out of the tap," he said.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Indeed..this is VERy wierd...i actually read this with croked eyes and mouth hung open

So, gettting rid of lifes requirment..water, in bttoels is better than soda bottles? makes NO sense..unless he is using this as levrage, to ban ALL plastic bottles downt he road...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
What about the botteled water that comes in fully bio degradeable bottles? I think that thhey are made from corn.

Does seem odd that.

edit to add link - www.biotaspringwater.com...

hurricanecandice.wordpress.com...

Breaks down in 80 days in compost!

[edit on 8/7/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
What???

What's the water fluoridation level in NSW? Maybe they want people to have only once choice of drinking water, to keep dumbing down the population.

I agree that plastic is a major problem for the environment, but surely something else can be worked out. Some kind of biodegradable bottle?

[edit on 8/7/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I found this extremely bizarrely strange.
The bottles used are PET plastic which is recyclable.
Someone has either lost the plot here extremely, or there is some scam they are trying to force.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

write to that Rees dude and tell him about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

problem solved.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I rekon this is text book deflection by the Govt. They have been coping a hammering and they just of loaded another state school, in Enmore to a developer for just a few million that will reap the developr millions. People have also noticed that they have closed a number of police stations and sold the properties.
I think they have released this statement after a rural town came up with a similar plan to reduce bottles water in its shops, to deflect the publics attention.

Typical Govt. B.S.

BTW, Bottle water is a scam. Coca Cola South Pacific bottle water for around 2c a bottle, retails for $3.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Oh well. Soon other states will follow. We are very weak and vulnerable here in Australia, because we have nobody to turn to with these things and no other country will hear about this or any of our other weird things going on. Global Warming is pretty much a "well duh of course it's real" thing here and fluoride water is a "it's great because it helps your teeth". Not just on TV though, all my friends and family say the exact same things.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Hi dallas/

Why the ban of water coolers?
It does seem strange...I wonder if all the states will do this?
Of-course there is something more to this, it is absolutely absurd to think that bottled water is the first to go.
Who knows what Higher powers have in mind...and it's not in the best interest of the people, Im sure!
It is only the plastic though....But isn't there also Milk in plastic bottles?
Also many soft drinks?
Food packaged in Plastic containers?
Very interesting.

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
There's been a few strange things going on in NSW the past few months:

The teenage girl who was sentenced to three months jail for a first offence grafitti arrest...
New laws being proposed to potentially jail crossbow owners for 14 years...
Now the first step by the government to ban bottled water... hmmm...

To put it into perspective, the article only states that government departments will no longer be able to buy bottled water. There is no mention of any other kind of restrictions - yet.

Remember, this is the first step.

Look out if you're in bushland hunting feral pigs with a crossbow, while taking a drink of water from a plastic bottle and having a texta in your back pocket to help mark your position on a map. In a few years time, NSW will class you as a medium-level terror threat for doing that.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

You are right.

They would have to completely ban all plastic products if they want this move to be seen as justified, and that they're caring for the environment.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
He is expected to announce a voluntary ban on bottled water tonight, i assume for communities. The town where he is speaking has already banned bottled water.

It looks like they are just setting an example with their department bans, which were just announced and put into immediate effect, in order to get everyone else to follow along.

It will be interesting to see what he says tonight. The random push for this is very strange.

Perhaps in this time of economic turmoil, it is an ideal time to push this agenda?

Most people would be like, "Why waste money on water when you can have perfectly good water off the tap, plus its good for your teeth!"

It's just so strange that it is WATER. It screams FLUORIDE to me.

Plastic bags would be the much better option.

EIGHT out of 10 Australians want the federal Government to ban plastic bags and stop electronic waste going into landfill, a survey shows.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan

You are right.

They would have to completely ban all plastic products if they want this move to be seen as justified, and that they're caring for the environment.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

Hi dmorgan/

They could and will justify their cause because they can!
We may think that AUSTRALIA is a free country, but it's more hidden in many ways then people can imagine!
Plastic bags used for shopping?
Where's the logic in that?
Paper bags and material ones work just as good, maybe even better...
If a ban of Plastics is what they want,then BAN all PLASTICS!
It's that simple!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
They're looking at doing that where I live for two reasons: cut costs and reduce waste created by something that you can get from a tap. All kinds of companies are doing the same thing. There is no conspiracy, at least not locally--bottled water often comes straight from a tap anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Turd Fergusson

Hi T/

Yes, there was something about 'Woolworths' using tap water in their own brand name bottles.
If a large company puts 'TAP WATER' into bottled water, that of which says otherwise on the label, they would definately be in BIG trouble.
One might ask,
Would they risk doing this?
I think not!
But who knows?
Who actually tests these so called facts on labels?

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It's a joke that he said water from the tap is purer and safer, right? Whenever I drink the water from my tap, I get sick. Fluoride issue aside, the water picks up so much extra metals and stuff as it travels through the pipes and just sits in the pipes, especially if your pipes are old. My mother in law got nickel poisoning last year from old pipes in her house. And, when you turn off the water it stagnates...eww. Now, I know that you could let the water run for a minute before using, but that adds up...you waste money and water. When you're really thirsty who is going to wait anyway?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Hi Helen,

I've read in the past (no source at hand, though) that most companies use untreated tap water. Aquafina is made from tap water, albeit (barely) "treated."

www.cbc.ca...

(I'm particularly cynical about marketing/labeling and wouldn't trust companies any more than I do politicians, so I may be biased
)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This has been done in the US as well.

San Francisco's mayor banned city employees from using city funds to buy bottled water when tap water is available. Ann Arbor, Michigan passed a resolution banning commercially bottled water at city events and Salt Lake City, Utah asked department heads to eliminate bottled water.

www.cnn.com...

Dasani has also been proven to be tap water, granted purified, but it comes from tap water. But I wonder if it is filtered as they say if there is n
ot still flouride in it.

They could just start putting things back in glass bottles and giving a deposit refund on them for turning them back in like they did 20 years ago, or for milk, just using the cardboard containers.

San Francisco has also banned plastic shopping bags as well and it looks as if they will stop using them in grocery stores as well. We buy bottled water to have as a convenience for our customers at work and we go thru about 20 cases a week during the summer, mostly by employees. That's a hundred dollars a week and we still are working on cut salaries.

I have well water and I also use a filter, but I just fill the stainless bottles at home. Getting back to the plastic bags, I use the boxes that milk comes in at the grocery store. Much easier to transport groceries without stuff falling out or having them break. I never remember my grocery bags anyway, they live permanantly in my trunk. And a bit off subject, but still regarding plastic, I love the people that come in the store where I work part time with their reusable grocery bags and will freak out if you try to put a package of meat which is leaking blood into a plastic bag before putting it in the shopping bag, and then they have all their produce in plastic produce bags. WTF??? And I don't think they ever wash those bags either cause so many people put their food into smelly animal fur filled bags. Ick.

I remember years ago I went to Hawaii and my friend and I went shopping and tried to find some plastic cups to keep in the room for drinks and the didn't sell them. We were told it was to keep trash on the island to a minimum. This was in the early 90's before bottled water was the thing but I wonder if they sell bottled water on the islands now?

[edit on 7/8/09 by opal13]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
since we only just had some media reports a couple of months ago about bottled water being sold having to have fluoride ADDED to the bottled water products, either way, its about restricting access to clean water, just as Codex
Alimentarius is about restricting our access to food that actually contains any nutrients at all.

I wonder if all the aussie states add similar quantities of fluoride?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join