It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to launch PC operating system

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I think many people saw this coming a while ago. I posted something about this on another forum last year before I became an ATSer.

forums.sundaysun.co.uk...
"The amount of information that already passes through Google's hands is staggering. Now in addition to Google search engine, Google earth, Google Street view and whatever else that may have been Googled, Google will now also have a browser. This means that if you or any one who has personal info about you (Banks, Doctor's etc)use the Google browser, then loads of personal info about you will all go to the one company - Google.

What next? A Google Operating System with a 100% linux open source footprint and no Microsoft code in sight? - that could be Game, Set and Match to Google. Google Government here we come!

Brave New World for Reticent Fools.
www.indymedia.org.uk...

[edit on 8-7-2009 by BetweenMyths]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

However on a PC you can only use Windows

That's not true. You can install a Linux distro onto any PC. Some distros, like Ubuntu/Kubuntu, are more user friendly than Windows!

As for Google storing your searches, as long as you're not doing anything bad or against the law, I don't see why it's a problem. Every website stores data. Every ISP stores data. Are you going to stop going on the Internet?

I read a few months ago that Google's OS was more or less just going to be 'net based. They're goal is to eventually spread to all computers and just make a computer a "hub" to connect to the Internet.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Well seeing that everyone is hyped about google and its so called open source system is worth a LOL....

Google is as much in association with my avatar as you are with your family members. Do you understand

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
reply to post by TheAssociate

Wasn't there rumours about the new Windows system containing deliberate security loopholes? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember some people claiming that there was some underhanded influence in the new Windows design... making it easier for law enforcement to enforce any bloody law that they want to, with regards to your PC.

As long as a PC is connected to the internet, I wouldn't trust it.

Can you trust Google more or less than your ISP?
Can you trust Google more or less than ATS? (Just Kidding!!!)

Originally posted by tristar
Well seeing that everyone is hyped about google and its so called open source system is worth a LOL....

Google is as much in association with my avatar as you are with your family members. Do you understand

You don't have to be wearing a tinfoil hat to ask those kinds of questions after reading articles like these:

Adobe adds secret technology in software at the request of government regulators

Adobe Systems acknowledged it quietly added technology to the world's best-known graphics software at the request of government regulators and international bankers to prevent consumers from making copies of the world's major currencies.

That was 5 years ago. They never came out and admitted it until they got caught. I can understand the governments wanting to protect their currencies, but they have other interests to protect too, like national security. Wouldn't putting some backdoors in popular OS's help protect those other interests as well? (to spy on terrorists?). I don't know if they are doing it or not but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch from the adobe revelation.

I expect the Google OS to be lighter weight compared to windows 7, but good enough for browsing. We'll see when they release more details. Ubuntu seems to be a good alternative for a free OS.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Haha @ the Google Goverment comment. So true.

Not a one liner.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Google has never let me down. Their products have actually played a key role in my business being a success, I literally could not have gotten there and continued to stay there without google. I'd go so far as to say gmail is a work of art. I hope this means the end for Microsoft, they have not innovated a damn thing for eons.. their core business is 1. copy the competition but suck at it 2. buy innovative companies and try to make money from it 3. produce horrific products in house (scom, sharepoint, etc) that require 5,000 page instruction manuals to work around how frikin unintuitive they are. Bring on the GooS, good riddance msft!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

That is what I was thinking. I have been a Mac guy for almost 15 years now and only go near windows either by necessity or duress.

Since all consumer OS use GUI the changes would have to be in either how many steps is needed to do something or in the actual architecture...

Still besides Google search engine and Google earth I really don't see any serious or valid reason to make me want to switch...besides most PC's like Dell are slapped together and Mac's are built like the proverbial brick outhouse so even if there were a good argument for switching...I prefer quality of quanity.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
More information about Chrome and privacy issues is available here:

Google Chrome Privacy Issues

To use Google somewhat-more-securely:

www.scroogle.org...

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Symbiote]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dallas18
However on a PC you can only use Windows

PCs are cheaper to build/buy so it will be good to see Microsoft have some competition

Is that so, Windows is the only OS you can use on a PC?

I heard back in the 80's that there was this guy named Linus Torvalds and he had this dream that there would be an open source software called Linux.

But I guess that never happened. I guess the 80% of the internet run on unix/linux web servers is a government ploy to misdirect is from it being 100% windows operating systems.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What Google is doing has more to do with expanding market position rather then taking a pot shoot at the big boys on the block... The story says their aiming at netbooks. FYI G3 wireless providers are planing to almost give away a netbook so long as you sign their three year contract... I remember reading about plans AT&T has for offering a $50 netbook... I'm sure Google wants in on part of that action... If they truly wanted to threaten the MS empire they could have just backed the LINUX movement... those coders have worked for years developing a reliable free open source OS... Nope this is about money and emerging Tech... but we might get lucky and find ourselves with even cheaper more reliable choices to what we have now???

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here is a good post I saw on Slashdot and thought to share here:

This is a Linux distro that can't run any non-google-SDK software. No X server wipes out being able to run most of the GUI software in the ecosystem. You locked to google. Why would I want this? Technical Linux people aren't going to want it. Normal users won't dare install any thing called an operating system. And everyone, will want to be able to run the apps they want, not only google approved ones. All this pain just for browser? This seems to be built on the dream of a thin client that runs nothing but a browser and all software is web software. It's an old dream, the world only needs five real computers, etc etc. Thing is, we don't want to be controlled, never have. I want to run what I want, how I want thank you very much Mr mainframe. If I'm right about the web app stance, this is a stupid idea come up with by people who think they can see the future but aren't looking at the past. The best google could have done is done yet another standard Linux distro, with X in some form, so they can tap into the existing software ecosystem. They can quality control the software with a repository. That way they can take advantage of much of the existing Unix software. Then they can use their brand, and Linux speed, security, software base, etc etc, to make it big in the OS world.

tech.slashdot.org...

It makes a very good point. If Google went "all Ubuntu with it" and released a cleaned-up Linux distro there would be developers out the wazoo lining up to staff their dev teams.

Something just occurred to me: had the above referenced material been on ATS, I would not have been able to share it with you without a lot of linkage garb and a half-page paean about how the post was made on ATS, even though the actual text belonged to a poster.

Information wants to be free and Slashdot knows that. Slashdot knows how to treat their users. Guess that is why they are the largest and most informative website on the Internet.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Yes, Linux is a great operating system, I use Fedora myself. Have you Windows users been living under a rock? Linux has been around for a long time now, and is getting bigger and bigger, and easier to install and configure for the novice PC user. Microsoft is a corporate giant that milks money from poor computer users that don't know any better. Educate yourself on other operating systems.
distrowatch.com...
linuxtracker.org...
fedoraproject.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm always a fan of more competition in the marketplace but for things like gaming Windows is still the only option.

I have Linux on my laptop and just built a new gaming rig and got that little "Windows 7" coupon thing. 7 is pretty sleek from what I've used in the betas.

If Linux would make full use of my hardware and supported the games I want to play without taking all of these ridiculous backdoors through Wine and the like to get them to function (never at full compatibility) then I'd gladly forsake Windows. Will Google focus on this? Probably not. Then Google has a history of data mining and government cooperation so that's a negative right there. It's one thing for an OS to be full of holes that makes you vulnerable but another thing entirely when an OS actively records and reports information.

And I cant stand Macs. Whenever I've used one I've felt like my hands were tied and was being talked down to by the machine. A machine that cant or wont do anything I want it to do.

I'd like to see some real OS competition but I'm expecting just more crap.

Anything I ever do beside gaming like internet time-wasting and office apps I can do from everything from my cellphone to my ipod to my DS to my laptop all running whatever "lite" OS I want. For me to care Google's OS needs to support my hardware fully and make for a stable gaming platform.

Ooh, another OS to form a clique around and run Open Office with. Wow. The clear difference in OS's right now is gaming. Other than that they all do whatever the average user wants. It's become more about "lifestyle marketing" than actual performance.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I've been waiting for this for years. It's about time.

Windows -- time to face some much needed free market competition. Biches.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Personally, I wouldn't trust Google. They store records of your searches for who knows how long, and hand them over to the cops if slapped with a warrant. Who knows what kind of information they would collect if you use their software to run your computer.

TA

My worry exactly.

On another note, all I care about in an OS is how much better of a framerate I get in PC games.

This is great news even if no ATSer uses it because this puts pressure on Microcrap/linux/Apple to come up with new innovations, something we aren't seeing much of right now.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I saw this this morning. Clash of the titans.

Like Google should get any bigger!

*&^%$# why didn't I think to buy their starup stock!?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Microsoft has plenty of competition. It is jsut no one has the leverage to advertise like they can.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I personally feel that if there is any company who can afford to challenege Microsoft's stranglehold on the consumer, that it would be Google.

I can't say whether I think it's a good idea or not, but what I do know is that Google is a world leader in data analysis and they would know what people desire from a new OS. Do they have the influence to capture the legions of Microsoft fans who have experienced nothing other than Windows?

I think that a Google OS would be great for netbooks because Google Apps is extremely easy to use and would undoubtedly come with this new OS. It is, however, probably going to be less secure than traditional operating systems as it will be web-reliant and therefore require dubious amounts of data transfer. Syncing emails, contacts, etc. The more data you move, the more likely it is to be intercepted.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I am going to go out on a limb here and call this project failed before it even takes flight. We don't need another Linux distro, we need better versions of the ones already out. Apple's backwards stance on some things and the cost-prohibitive nature of their hardware kept them from toppling Microsoft. Linux's fragmented community and lack of solid support in the driver department coupled with inadequate OSS alternatives to proprietary software made them 2nd fiddle to MS in the desktop market.

Unless Google can hurdle all of these things AND make drastic leaps and bounds in the Linux field they are already done for before we even seen an alpha release.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
reply to post by rayzr

now Windows 7 which they're charging full price for, even though it's what Vista should have been.

Absolutely false statement. Windows 7 will be sold 7-8% less than what Vista sold for.

"Microsoft Corp on Thursday said it will sell the standard home-user version of its new Windows 7 operating system for 8 percent less than the comparable version of its Vista system, as the global downturn hits spending on technology."

www.digitalhomethoughts.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join