It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to launch PC operating system

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Google to launch PC operating system

www.news.com.au

GOOGLE will overnight announce plans for a personal computer operating system, the New York Times reported, in what will be another clash between the Internet search king and software giant Microsoft.

Details on the system were unavailable, other than it would be based on Google's Chrome browser.

The Mountain View, California company was set to make the announcement on its blog, the Times said, citing sources briefed on the plans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Does anyone have any inside information about this?

I'm not a tech-minded person, so will it be worth Google trying to dominate the PC OS market?

If they've got the funds and the balls to do it, I guess that some healthy competition for Microsoft wouldn't be a bad thing.

As long as the battle ends up producing better choices for consumers that's all I care about!!! Faster, better, cheaper (unlike NASA).

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-7-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
wonderful news, ive been waiting for this for years! its about time theres another option for PC users (apart from linux, but thats not exactly that commercial). the chrome web browser is great so it will be good to see what this will be like.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hopefully if google do make an OS it will be more reliable than microsoft and also more user friendly than a mac..... yes i hate macs!
They're like using a pc with oven gloves on.... they just dont work!

Its definately time for some fresh competition for apple and microsoft!

However, googles android didnt do to great when it was released into the cell phone market, apple still dominate with the iphone!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't trust Google. They store records of your searches for who knows how long, and hand them over to the cops if slapped with a warrant. Who knows what kind of information they would collect if you use their software to run your computer.

TA

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Google is a search engine and should stay that way.
Please don't starting making operating systems now.

&*EDIT*

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Personally, I wouldn't trust Google. They store records of your searches for who knows how long, and hand them over to the cops if slapped with a warrant. Who knows what kind of information they would collect if you use their software to run your computer.
TA

Exactly.

&*ADDED*
Microsoft is unstable and pretty crappy, although I don't think Google would do much; if any better.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by h1satsu]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Wasn't there rumours about the new Windows system containing deliberate security loopholes? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember some people claiming that there was some underhanded influence in the new Windows design... making it easier for law enforcement to enforce any bloody law that they want to, with regards to your PC.

As long as a PC is connected to the internet, I wouldn't trust it.

Can you trust Google more or less than your ISP?
Can you trust Google more or less than ATS? (Just Kidding!!!)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Just be sure to know what your doing, you should be fine.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rayzr

More user friendly than Macs? OS X is the most user friendly OS out there.

A Google OS... hmm I'm not really a fan of their "style". But then Microsoft has annoyed me in past years with Vista, now Windows 7 which they're charging full price for, even though it's what Vista should have been.

If it has support for all the games that Windows does, it might make it. But I don't think it will surpass the popularity of Windows and OS X.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'm only guessing but I think it will be a "cloud client".
Basically a fullscreen browser window with cloud applications and your documents but stored on google's services.

Everyone will have it I'm sure for their "portable stuff needs".

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

I'm sure beginners, and people that are less tech savvy find Macs user friendly and whatnot, but for a bit more advanced users they cannot match the depth and customization of a windows PC, or a Linux PC for the supernerds.

With that said, i sure hope Google knows what they're doing.
I'm currently using Windows 7, and i can tell you it's one hell of an OS.
If they wanna make it work, it must have compatibility with windows apps, and it must be secure - all while offering the features, and looks windows 7 does, and then some.
I just don't see them competing directly with windows.

However if they do manage to make an OS that's better then Windows i'll be the first one to switch, but keep in mind they are going against an OS that's basically been in development for 20+ years.

I think what Atlantican said about a cloud client could actually be true.
Certanly if the OS is going to be free, then this is the most logical conclusion.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

Well it's not just beginners and less tech savvy people that use Macs. I consider myself an advanced PC user (used a PC for years, customized my computer for top end gaming, over-clocked it to hell and a lot more).

I now use a Mac and they are perfect for most people, beginners and advanced alike. It depends what you use computers for.

Anyway, going off topic.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Does anyone have any inside information about this?

I'm not a tech-minded person, so will it be worth Google trying to dominate the PC OS market?

If they've got the funds and the balls to do it, I guess that some healthy competition for Microsoft wouldn't be a bad thing.

At this moment Google doesn't talk beyond what it has said, but according to this
news.cnet.com...
Google may be after the growing Netbook market, even though they say that their operating system would be designed to accommodate the wide range desktop applications. Netbooks are designed primarily for the web browsing and a semi-dedicated OS would enhance the performance -- at least theoretically. So Netbooks pre-loaded with Google OS is what Google may be after.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Microsoft dominate the PC market

On a Mac, you can now install Windows on it as well as the mac operating system

However on a PC you can only use Windows

PCs are cheaper to build/buy so it will be good to see Microsoft have some competition

It is also interesting to note that Google today also removed all the BETA tags off all their services

[edit on 8/7/09 by dallas18]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

I'm sure you are right. Everyone seems to be moving to serverside solutions and mobile computing. Google are continuing their massive expansion of server farms, so I can't imagine they want to take a backward step by creating a stand alone OS

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I like the fact that they're saying it's going to be open source. I'm not a programmer or hacker, but philosophically, I agree with the idea of lots of people working on a project simply to make the project better.

I use the Chrome web browser right now, and I have to say I think it's the best out there. It's minimalist and looks great on my widescreen monitor. I also use Gmail, google earth, google maps, and google video. And I use them all for free.

I do have some hang ups with google though. Mainly the fact that they have bowed to pressure from the Chinese government to block sites, but I from what I've read, they've resisted along the way.

I think that overall, they've revolutionised the internet for the better. They've made it easier for people to connect and find information which empowers everybody. If the OS is better and cheaper than windows while still being compatible with most applications, I would switch.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I am guessing they will expect people to pay?

MS have 30 years in the making and they have not mastered there software yet so i don't see google catching them in the market any time soon especially with there attitude toward peoples online privacy!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Of course it's a good thing.

After all most people don't need the bloated OS's we use today and that will undoubtedly force them to lower their prices or lose market share.

Here's a better article on the Google OS.

The new operating system will be based on the company's nine-month-old Web browser, Chrome.

Google is designing the operating system primarily for "netbooks," a lower-cost, less powerful breed of laptop computers

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Of course it's a good thing.

After all most people don't need the bloated OS's we use today and that will undoubtedly force them to lower their prices or lose market share.

Here's a better article on the Google OS.

The new operating system will be based on the company's nine-month-old Web browser, Chrome.

Google is designing the operating system primarily for "netbooks," a lower-cost, less powerful breed of laptop computers

Well there you have it.
It's probably just an upgraded version of Android, and will most likely be free.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
As I understand, it will be based on Linux and yes it will be Open Source
However I am not sure how well it would go , as Chrome (a great product by the way) did not go as popular as expected. People like to stick with the old , regardless on how inefficient the old is !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join