It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2nd Amendment Bumper Stickers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Yeah i wasn't aware there were so many still left, I do know that in most states gun shop owners/employees, and some states allow pawn shop owners open carry.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

An online campaign is underway, claiming that when you come to Shreveport, your "rights will be suspended." It all started with a traffic stop on a Friday night a month ago. Even though Robert Baillio was never cited, and his gun was never confiscated, his story and a secretly recorded telephone conversation with Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover has been burning up the blogosphere.

this was from the KLSA website at the bottom of the OP.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong about what the officer did. He had a legitimate reason to believe that there was a firearm in the car, and did what he needed to do to keep himself safe. He had no idea who he was pulling over, could have easily been a madman. This is something all officers do. For a police officer pulling someone over, the weapons you don't know about are the ones that will kill you. You have to also remember that most officers ride alone.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"After the stop was completed, and my gun was was returned, I thought about the events that had happened."

I did not read the KSLA link at first. Like "Piekeeper" said, the officer did nothing wrong. He removed the driver's weapon to keep himself safe. He did not know the driver of the vehicle. Don't take these articles at face value. READ, know the laws, know what officers do out on the streets to keep themselves safe. The Supreme Court has ruled that a law enforcement officer can seize a weapon during a contact to keep himself safe during the contact. IT'S AN OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE! This JUNK paper article was written up just to get the citizens of America angered about nothing. The guy writing the paper is supposed to be a gun instructor?! Then he should know that the officer seized the weapon for officer safety reasons. NO VIOLATION OF RIGHTS HERE!!!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This story is bollocks.

I live in Shreveport and am typing away in Shreveport.

When my guard unit was activated for hurricane duty last year I got to work with a number of Shreveport Police. I didn't have any problems. I got along fine with many of them. A number of them are military veterans, NRA members and gun owners.

I know there are rotten apples, Wylie Willis seems to have been one of them. There were rotten apples in the Army when I was in too, but I don't blame an entire organization for the actions of a few.

Anyway on to the story. As a few others have pointed out here is the KSLA, a local news station, they put out:

Traffic stop raises gun rights question, Mayor responds

An online campaign is underway, claiming that when you come to Shreveport, your "rights will be suspended." It all started with a traffic stop on a Friday night a month ago. Even though Robert Baillio was never cited, and his gun was never confiscated, his story and a secretly recorded telephone conversation with Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover has been burning up the blogosphere.

www.ksla.com...

Here's part of the police video:
www.conservativedrink.com...

Notice the part when he asks if Mr, Baillio is an NRA member? He does it in a friendly casual manner. Why?

The police officer involved is an NRA member.

Questions I have to ask: Why did Mr. Baillio get out of his truck?

From my own experience of working in military law enforcement, that would of caught my full attention.

He did have one sticker on the back that would of caught my attention. His "Celebrate Diversity" sticker. The back of the truck can be seen here: www.conservativedrink.com...

Note: Mr. Baillio was given back his gun at the end of the stop. The weapon was secured for safety reasons.

If anything at all is to be learned from this:
If a fellow NRA member doesn't ticket another fellow NRA member in a traffic stop in an apparent favor, don't make yourself into a jackass by making an irresponsible mountain out of an anthill.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I was stopped for speeding and running a red light one time, and I managed to argue that I wasn't speeding, but I didn't reduce my speed sufficiently to stop at the yellow light and ended up crossing into the intersection after it had turned red.

The cop let me go
, no ticket, no nothing.

It is sort of sad that nothing can explode into this huge deal about constitutional rights, based completely on ignorance. And people wonder why politicians treat us like babies. I don't wonder -- I know it's because many of us over react to uninformed rumor and speculation, like a bewildered stampeding herd of dangerous loons hell bent on destroying something that works perfectly fine.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Okay why if the man was outside of his vehicle did the cop go into it to retrieve the gun? Please don't give me the BS he had the right! If the officer was so concerned why did he not search him? The incident is still very odd. The man would have to go back into his truck to get it, if he was carrying the cop would have been dead. The cop did quite alot wrong on that stop, I agree the guy being outside of the truck was odd, why do I have a feeling we didn't see all that tape? A cop needs to watch his a** on a traffic stop and this one did not! The man told him he had a loaded gun in his truck which he was not in at the time and the cop takes that gun but doesn't search him? At best I can say it's one very ill trained cop!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The real problem is that they will make guns illegal for citizens, but the criminals will still get them.

We spent billions of dollars fighting a drug war that everyone finally admits didn't work.

Now we'll spend billions more fighting a gun war that we won't win.

Taking rights away from lawful citizens does NOTHING to stop crime. Period.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

He went to the truck to SECURE the FIREARM. Now if you want to sit there and arm chair quarterback the incident then you can ALWAYS find a way to do something different. Just because this cop didn't seach the driver doesn't mean that the next cop won't. All cops don't do everything exactly the same way. This cop did what he thought was right at the moment. Split second decisions have to be made out on the street. If that cop watched on his own in-car video of how the stop went down he too may see several things he could have done differently. NOTHING IS SET IN STONE!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
When they took the guns from the Astralian people ... it only took the guns from the lawfull people with leagal registered guns ... the criminals still have their guns ... and in fact theres more shootings here now and they took the 'legal' guns years ago...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Here is the whole mistake the driver made: We NEVER have to answer ANY questions put to us by a cop. Period. We are never under any legal obligation to chit chat with cops, and they cannot order you to give up your Constitutional Right to remain silent.

If you say: " Officer, my attorney told me to never answer any questions without him present, and I have no statements to make, and I do not give consent for any searches".

No matter what the cop does then, at least you have protected yourself to the fullest extent. If the cop violates the law and your rights by detaining you after you make it clear what youir stand is, or if he acts in any way that is not legally defensible, then you have a great chance of getting justice, even if it is later.

Most cops will not push these issues too far because they KNOW they are acting far afield of their job description when they insist on bothering a citizen when they have no real grounds. If people would file complaints every time a cop oversteps his bounds we would see less of it.

I let cops know immediately who is in control of the situation; I am. I do not answer questions and I tell them that if they violate my rights I will sue them. Since I never carry any contraband and keep all my car papers in ord4r and current, they never have an excuse to bother me. I will not tolerate it if they tried.

The last time a local cop stopped me at one of our roadblocks he glanced at my license and asked me " Where are you going tonight?". I told him:" Where I go is none of your business. If you want to know where I am going, then act like a detective and follow me". The cop could see the dead cold stare in my eyes and backed away like I had the plague. These cops don't feel comfortable when someone takes the control away from them, but who cares what some cop likes? Not me.

Never ever answer any questions. Period. Simple. It avoids any further hassles and if the cop goes too far it gives you all the legal protection possible. Common sense.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join