It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia has little bargaining power in negotiations with Barack Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Russia has little bargaining power in negotiations with Barack Obama

www.tel egraph.co.uk

The sight of Russia's leader greeting his American counterpart in the glittering splendour of the Kremlin disguises a harsh reality.

President Dmitry Medvedev might want this carefully staged occasion to resemble a Cold War summit, yet he is not meeting President Barack Obama as an equal to bargain over the future of the world.

Instead, Mr Medvedev leads a gravely weakened Russia with few cards to play. In particular, he desperately needs a new treaty on nuclear disarmament for a simple reason: Russia's arsenal is falling to bits anyway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If this is true, then Obama has given the Russian's a deal that Russia wanted in return for Russian air-space to get supplies to Afghanistan.

Is this a fair deal then?

Nuclear disarmament does benefit the whole world eventually.

I read some on here say Georgia already offered on the nuclear arms deal, but if that deal benefits Russia more that would explain why they offered the airspace, and I don't see why the US would need to offer Georgia in that deal. And would explain how the US got the airspace as Obama milked the deal.

But what about Iran, missile shield and Georgia/Ukraine & NATO.

Maybe the missile shield would be cancelled for Russia to help persuade Iran to not build nukes, or would the US have to throw in Georgia not joining NATO into that deal, assuming that's possible? Wouldn't that be too much to offer in a deal? And would Russia see it on the other foot and milk the deal?

Hopefully Russia would settle for some kind of acceptable deal knowing their position is becoming weaker relative to the west. Otherwise if no deal can be reached, we know Israel look likely to take military action on Iran.

edit: found this article -> Barack Obama urges Russia not to interfere in neighbouring states

It's not a complete reset of relations.

On Monday Obama reaffirmed Georgia's sovereignty – severely undermined by last year's war and Moscow's subsequent unilateral recognition of rebel-held Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent states. Today Obama defended "state sovereignty", describing it as "a cornerstone of international order".

He also said that Georgia and Ukraine had a right to choose their own foreign policy and leaders, and could join Nato if they wanted. Russia is deeply opposed to Ukraine's and Georgia's accession, and wants the White House to rule out their future membership. Today Obama responded by saying that Nato sought collaboration with Russia, not confrontation.

Looks like Georgia & Ukraine not on the table. And Russia won't like this.

www.tel egraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Doesnt really matter. If Russia's arsenal is falling apart so they would like to reduce numbers, they must be forgetting that the US could reconstitute new nukes in a matter of days.

I think this is what everyone fails to realize. Even if the US said okay we are only going to have 100 nukes. Do you know how quickly they could get back to something like 10,000? In a matter of days!!! The technology isnt going anywhere, there's PLENTY of enriched uranium, the number of nukes that Russia and the US reduce the numbers to is merely symbolic.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
All I have to say is Russia having less nukes = US has less nukes = everybody saves a crap-load of money.

Seems like a good idea, to me. Nukes aren't cheap, and despite how fun it would be to help bankrupt a crippled Russian economy, I would rather get a tax return for the thousands of nuclear bombs that we won't have to build because nobody else is building them, either. (Well, some people still build them, but you get the idea. Russia/United States are the two largest holders of nuclear bombs. If both sides agree to decrease their stockpiles, both sides save money, and the world gets to breath a little easier.)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What did you guys think of the way Putin (my baby!) schooled Obama on the cold war for 45 minutes and sent him packing with his tail tucked between his legs? I swear, when they interviewed Obama afterwards it looked like he was 2 seconds from crying like a baby... How could anyone think his skinny ass could have a "man to man" with a real man???
HUGE mistake.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JulieMills
What did you guys think of the way Putin (my baby!) schooled Obama on the cold war for 45 minutes and sent him packing with his tail tucked between his legs? I swear, when they interviewed Obama afterwards it looked like he was 2 seconds from crying like a baby... How could anyone think his skinny ass could have a "man to man" with a real man???
HUGE mistake.

I dunno. I think both Obama and Putin, as me, are pretty creepy.

One is a smooth talkin' black dude who wormed his way into the corrupter than corrupt Chicago political machine. Out of his depth in world politics. His one strategy "Can we sit down and honestly talk about our feelings?'

Putin is a KGB hit-man put in a suit. Flexes his muscles in his karate muscles to show he's still got it. At best a psycho killer at heart.

They'll dance around each other. Obama is weak, but runs a country that can whip Russia militarily, economically, technologically, with one hand tied behind it's back. Russia is a lot of bluster, but struggles to hold itself together now, as it has for decades.

Mike

[edit on 8-7-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Only a fool would believe that Russia is weak. Their most valuable tactic is to show weakness when strong. More importantly, Russia has learned that wars can be won in places beyond the battlefield.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
RED HERRING!!!

What happened to TRANSPARENCY??? This is the single most monumental event of this year and it is held behind closed doors and all they give us is this poopoo platter of bs?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JulieMills

I think your just imagining things. And that isn't good. Not to mention this is politics, not a schoolyard fight.

What an immature statement.

Oh I love it when school is out. Sigh

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Only a fool would believe that Russia is weak. Their most valuable tactic is to show weakness when strong.

Russia does not and will never will willingly show weakness. Don't know where you came up with that. Russia is almost as bad a North Korea with blustering rhetoric and sabre rattling when they really don't have a leg to stand on. Russia has also never fully recovered from their collapse and wouldn't last long in a fight with the US without powerfull allies, namely China.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This isn't about military power. It's about political leverage. I'm sure you kids can find any of a hundred threads where you can wave your penises at each other and argue over which one is the biggest.

cdi

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
hi all
the perception i gleaned from 5 seconds of news footage i saw.
obama leaning forward in his chair (anxious) with his back to the camera, putin opposite (laid back) eating a yoghurt (eyes down), surrounded by aides around a low table of goodies. this reeked of uncomfortable politics.
regards cdi.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
Russia does not and will never will willingly show weakness. Don't know where you came up with that. Russia is almost as bad a North Korea with blustering rhetoric and sabre rattling when they really don't have a leg to stand on. Russia has also never fully recovered from their collapse and wouldn't last long in a fight with the US without powerfull allies, namely China.

The US always has to give Russia the deference it insists on as #2 world power. Even though others are climbing up in the charts while Russia slowly sinks down. Putin personally seeks respect, and that affects his foreign policy. He has to be stroked. Obama knows that.

It's no secret Russia is a huge resource rich country but with growing domestic concerns, an inability to produce demand export products, increasing territorial discontents, an understated public malaise, crippling operating costs, and military capability that is a shadow of it former self.
All bark, no bite.

Putin will continue to strut arrogantly, and many fall for the pose. China is aligned on many fronts, but not thinking in terms of military alliance with it's troubled geographic neighbour,

The summit ended with no clear resolutions, both sides maintaining their conflicting stances on the US positioning in Poland, Iran support, etc. But considering how testy things were before, at least they are communicating openly. So no immediate change but some softening up and prospects of less adversarial roles and neutral co-operation.

The US and Russia, both veterans of draining interventions in Afghanistan, have learned war is not what it used to be.

Mike

join