It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first fuel cell aircraft takes off in Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

World's first fuel cell aircraft takes off in Germany

news.yahoo.com

The world's first piloted aircraft capable of taking to the air using only power from fuel cells took off in Germany Tuesday, producing zero carbon dioxide emissions, its makers said

"We have improved the performance capabilities and efficiency of the fuel cell to such an extent that a piloted aircraft is now able to take off using it," said Johann-Dietrich Woerner from the German Aerospace Center
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.straitstimes.com

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The system uses hydrogen as its fuel, and this is converted into electrical energy in a direct, electrochemical reaction with oxygen in the ambient air, without any combustion occurring

This is great! It is becoming clear that alternative energy sources are beginning to become main stream. Lets face it, in the long run, we will have to eliminate our dependency on oil and coal. This is a monumental step foreward.

The only by-product is water, and if the hydrogen fuel is produced using renewable energy sources, then the motor glider is genuinely CO2-free

Sounds too good to be true!

-E-

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Mystere
As to the comment about no combustion. When you mix hydrogen and O2 and put a spark to it, it explodes. How is it the article can say there is no combustion?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm curious about the changes in oxygen levels at different altitudes also.

I recently saw on the news a hydrogen locomotive that's being tested. Those already get better fuel economy by being hybrids in some form.

www.evworld.com...

cjonline.com...

[edit on 7-7-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

That is interesting. I was actually thinking they might start making the coal powered ones again. The still do draw a crowd since they are not so common any more.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I wish I knew how the combustion (or lack there of worked) but I don't. Ill look in to it thouhg!

-E-

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There has to be some kind of combustion,
I love it how it promotes the 0 carbon footprint...

I wonder how many tonne's of carbon were produced making that fuel cell!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rayzr

Or how terrible it will be for the environment when the spent cell is thrown away

-E-

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The article states it uses an electrochemical reaction...

From wiki

An electrochemical cell is a device used for generating an electromotive force (voltage) and current from chemical reactions, or the reverse, inducing a chemical reaction by a flow of current. The current is caused by the reactions releasing and accepting electrons at the different ends of a conductor.

So there actually is no combustion!

-E-

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Yep then in ten years time a report will be published telling us how burning fossil fuels is actually a ''greener'' way of air travel as the cells when expended have such a detrimental effect on the environment!

top topics

join