It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethnic mobs overrun Chinese city

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No wonder. Another fine example of Islamic seperatist mindset. Now china is not your regular contry which would bow down to the pressures from the international community leave alone the internal turbulances.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It is not a "Chinese City".
It is an Uighur City. This is East Turkestan not Xinjiang! China invaded much like China invaded my homeland Tibet in 1949.

==============

The ethnic identity of Uighurs in western China is being systematically eroded. Government policies, including those that limit use of the Uighur language, severe restrictions on freedom of religion, and a sustained influx of Han Chinese migrants into the region, are destroying customs and, together with employment discrimination, fuelling discontent and ethnic tensions. The government has mounted an aggressive campaign that has led to the arrest and arbitrary detention of thousands of Uighurs on charges of 'terrorism, separatism and religious extremism' for peacefully exercising their human rights.

Uighurs are a Turkic speaking, mainly Sunni Islamic ethnic group with a long history at the heart of central Asia. In China, they are concentrated in the western region of the country, an area historically claimed by competing empires, warlords and ethnic groups. In 1949, the region was integrated into the People's Republic of China. In 1955, the People's Republic of China established the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR), in recognition of the Uighurs' predominance in the region, a status which according to the Chinese Constitution entitles ethnic minorities to organs of self-government in order to exercise autonomy.

According to the latest Chinese census in 2000, there are more than 18 million people living in the XUAR, of whom 47 per cent are Uighurs, 40 per cent are Han Chinese and 12 per cent are other ethnic groups, including Kazakhs, Kyrgyzs, Tatars, Uzbeks and Tajiks. The Han Chinese population has increased significantly from an estimated 6 per cent in 1949 due to central government policies that include providing financial incentives to Han Chinese who migrate to the region.

Fuel For Discontent - discrimination and forced labour
The Chinese state has failed to protect Uighurs from employment discrimination which has resulted in extremely high rates of unemployment among Uighurs in the XUAR and fuelled discontent. Many Uighurs report seeing 'Uighurs need not apply' signs posted by employers at job fairs demonstrating the state's inaction in enforcing anti-discrimination laws. Even university graduates who speak fluent Chinese have difficulty finding employment.

The XUAR is the only area of China where the general population (non-prisoners) is systematically subject to a government policy of forced labour. Under a system referred to as 'hashar', farming families are fined if they fail to send a family member, sometimes several times each year, to labour on agricultural, infrastructural and other public works for up to two to three weeks at a time. The individuals are given no compensation for their labour, no room or board, and are expected to pay their own transportation costs. Many describe sleeping out in the open and eating nothing but instant noodles for days while doing hard labour. Families that do not have an able-bodied young man to send are not
exempt - men and women as old as 70, and children as young as 12, are reported by Uighurs to have participated.

The systematic erosion of Uighur ethnic identity by the Chinese authorities is characterised by repression and human rights abuses. The Chinese authorities must immediately reverse policies that limit use of the Uighur language and severely restrict freedom of religion and Uighurs' ability to enjoy and replicate their culture.

Repression In The Name Of The 'War On Terror'
groups.google.com...

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Himalayan]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why on earth do chinese police have POLICE written on their uniforms in english language?

SR

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
Why on earth do chinese police have POLICE written on their uniforms in english language?

It's cheaper to clothe themselves with the over surplus clothes from the lines they create for other countries.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
China ramps up efforts to stop deadly ethnic violence

Reporting from Urumqi, China, and Beijing -- In an escalating campaign to stamp out ethnic violence, Chinese forces saturated the city of Urumqi, helicopters dropped leaflets urging calm, and the local Communist party boss warned of the death penalty for rioters convicted of killings.

"We're determined to maintain social stability," said Urumqi's Communist Party chief, Li Zhi, at a press conference today. "To those who committed crimes with cruel means, we will execute them."

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm sorry to both pro and con...

It's becoming painfully obvious the situation in the region is getting out of hand and the Chinese know it. Their President came home before the G-8 meeting seems very ominous and now even though we are only seeing bits and pieces from their state media the stories seem to be a lot more than just a few small riots.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
It seems the Chinese are standing up to the attempts of the Muslims to take over the place.
Good for them.

These people lived in this region since before the era of Genghis Khan.

They are prolly sick of Chinese imperialism. I would be too.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by yiersan
Interesting how there are still people claiming and whining about the so-called "history" of to whom the land belongs. Can we get over that discussion for once and while? Maybe our Chinese ancestor from going back to as far as the Han dynasty or even earlier should have been much more brutal like the Americans & Britons and wiped out the so-called native inhabitants (Indians and Aboriginals in America&Asutralia) or so? (Do some REAL research, and stop copying the propaganda you are hearing, China started to only break up when in the end of Qing Dynasty the Empirial Colonists from Europe and the ruthless Japs started their invasions).

Yeah..

The whole problem with that argument is at least from this American of native descent perspective is that I am partially Native American. You will not find a more loyal people than us Native Americans. I have both European blood and Mescalero So please before you embarrass yourself further please learn about other native Americans in our history the Code talkers of WW-II and so on.

Indeed Islam religion and Communism do not fit each other, but even more is Han Chinese patriotism and this religion. So if the fundamentalists and extremists among these muslims really want to have a fight, we Han Chinese will just say, bring it on. Unfortunately our Central government will most likely try to pull up a good "humanitarian" face towards these messed up corrupted-muslim-invaded-Western governments and therefore hold us back on confronting these ungrateful Muslims face on.

If anybody should have issues with Islamic extremist it's the US. Some believe they knocked down two of our towers remember? We invaded not one but two Islamic states. Your post just demonstrates the Hans hatred towards a racial minority!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

SR

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
But i thought in one of the articles listed on this very thread and the general concensus was the the Uighars started the riot in the first place.

So how does your logic of the hans hating on a so called minority then work out.

If your attacked would you defend yourself or sit there and let whatever was going to happen happen because your attackers may or may not be a 'minority'

weird logic indeed.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SR
But i thought in one of the articles listed on this very thread and the general concensus was the the Uighars started the riot in the first place.

So how does your logic of the hans hating on a so called minority then work out.

If your attacked would you defend yourself or sit there and let whatever was going to happen happen because your attackers may or may not be a 'minority'

weird logic indeed.

Very good point.

Posting apposing views is simply trying to show both sides of the equation. Trying to be fair.

My response was to a poster who's views are debatable.

SR

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
fair enought i'm in the same boat trying to dechiper the situation as well

Obviously the Uighars could of been motivated by a sense of being ripped off by the Han.

Or China's over population issues coming to a head.

Could religion even play a part in the case of Islam's no interest on money would make the Uighars relatively poorer than the capitalist savy Hans??

or any number of incidents or variables over time etc.

Strange days we all face indeed.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by SR]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AryanWatch
reply to post by SLAYER69

No wonder. Another fine example of Islamic seperatist mindset. Now china is not your regular contry which would bow down to the pressures from the international community leave alone the internal turbulances.

i wondered the same, this i have never seen in China, normally they only use the two Chinese characters "Gong Ang". But the Western MSM is well known for using the wrong pictures to create different impressions among readers anyhow, so would not be the first time

[edit on 8-7-2009 by yiersan]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

About two years ago a Doctor friend of the family came back from that region and he spoke of the tenseness there. He said you can travel most anywhere in China and not see a soldier except there.

That was two years ago makes one wonder...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Yeah..

The whole problem with that argument is at least from this American of native descent perspective is that I am partially Native American. You will not find a more loyal people than us Native Americans. I have both European blood and Mescalero So please before you embarrass yourself further please learn about other native Americans in our history the Code talkers of WW-II and so on.

Yup, and I visited those reservation for some of your fellow tribes too dude, studied enough history and know enough about the hypocrisy of these societies. The difference between the invasion for the new world moving westward and the Chinese conquering and expanding two thousands (that is a 2 with three zeros) years ago also moving westwards is that the Europeans never tried to find a co-existing way of living in America until somewhere mid of the previous century, while the Chinese never tried to exterminate these so-called natives. Han Chinese started to settle in these Chinese territories thousands of years ago, so what is considered native? EVEN when the communists, the so-called evil regime you guys love to refer to, di nothing to exterminate but rather find a way of co-existing between all these tens of different so-called nationalities (ethnic groups). There is no other country on this planet with such a diversified group of different minorities, and a government actively trying to preserve each single ethnic group.

If anybody should have issues with Islamic extremist it's the US. Some believe they knocked down two of our towers remember? We invaded not one but two Islamic states. Your post just demonstrates the Hans hatred towards a racial minority!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

Indeed buddy, Hans starts to hate CERTAIN groups of minorities. And this is what our government is trying to Ban and try to silence us. There is a reason for hating certain groups of minorities. This is the same reasons why all over Europe and USA the complaints-sounds of the Whites about Muslims are increasing. Who would not be, if MOST of the daily crime and social disorder all over the country are created by muslims and others. Think religious people are holy? they start the jihad and rioting and killing of innocents all over the place.

There is no favorism towards Hans in China, there is favorism and positive discrimination towards ethnic minorities though. Hans are indeed the majority of the population, so guess what, still 90% of them are as poor as the inner provinces (minorities), but troubles are relatively less from Hans. But I do not expect people like you to understand how it feels to live in China as a hard-working Han. Hmmm, maybe you can, or some Europeans among yours can. (I know Europe better as I came from there), Today's Hans living and working is somewhat like a Dutch guy or German guy who is NOT allowed to criticize ANYTHING regardless if it is the truth or fabricated stories about Muslims, Turks , Moroccans etc. It is like the Europeans who are being forced to turn a blind eye towards young muslims rampaging Paris or turning whole neighborhoods of London towards a smaller Istanbul, AND still get the blame for being intolerable and over-sensitive and in our case even so-called suppression. In Urumqi yesterday the Han Chinese got sick of this and started a revenge protest, you know, one day if the rest of China is also sick and tired of this those who do not live and follow the normal rules will really need to find a good hiding place, because there will be no police or military strong enough to calm us down.

Ps. I do have a lot of ethnic minority friends, Mongols, from Yunnan etc, all great people!

Ps. As for the fabricated terror attacks in NY and the invasions of countries using the Muslim fundamentalists as a scapegoat, let's not even discuss about those jokes (or should I say crimes) over here?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yiersan

Once again you're too emotional. Calm down...

I won’t bother wading through all the ranting and raving.

Let me ask you a question?
Is China above scrutiny? Why is it when somebody posts their views about China that it becomes something that has to be attacked? Did I ever state that the communist government was "EVIL"? By trying to put words into my mouth you are just demonstrating your lack of credibility. So you attack those who LOOK at the situation.

I don’t know... We in the west are only getting one view of the situation really and that's whatever we can get from the Chinese Media. I see criticism of the US all day long every day. Hell I'm one of the biggest critics of my country. I hear criticism about the US also all day everyday by people from around the world. It doesn’t bother me really it makes me look at my own Government. Do you do the same? Are you afraid to consider your Government may be wrong or has made a mistake?

Well if you cannot answer those questions then we have nothing further to discuss.

By the way I'll still continue to post what I want when I want as long as it doesn’t violate the T&C of this site.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Probably because the people who make the clothes cannot be bothered to write the Hanzi characters out in full. The characters for "police" are pretty complicated. I guess it would be cheaper too because it would require less ink to print or cotton to sew.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
So can anyone tell me if ordinary Chinese have access to ATS or is it just the government approved ones?

The Uighurs simply don't want to live under China, living like the Chinese, working like the Chinese, living by the Chinese ways. bowing down to the Chinese Hans. So what if they're Muslim? They just don't like the way China does things! That's it!

I'm rooting for the Uighurs, I'm sad though for the men who got arrested. They will never be seen again.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by yiersan
The difference between the invasion for the new world moving westward and the Chinese conquering and expanding two thousands (that is a 2 with three zeros) years ago also moving westwards is that the Europeans never tried to find a co-existing way of living in America until somewhere mid of the previous century,

Riots Expose China’s Ethnic Divisions Created by Uneven Growth

China’s drive to develop Xinjiang’s resources has spurred an influx of migrants and bred resentment among Uighurs, who complain of discrimination and political and cultural repression. Han Chinese now account for half the province’s 21 million population, from 7 percent in the 1953 census.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
WHERE ARE THE MEDIAS ON THIS?

Can they stop reporting on that dead pedophile now that his funeral is over?

Ah I see... there's no plans to bomb China so reporting about it isn't important and ``outrageous`` as it was with Iran.

Medias... bought and paid for.

China is 10X worse than Iran when it comes to human rights and government brutality... but Iran is somehow more important...

Can we have a NATO embargo on China please?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

Ehh...
Actually no!
China supports your economy.
Therefore everything is fine and dandy in China.
Everything is perfect!

Look how Turkey is playing out the good bed maid.
They only shout and cry when there is oil and money involved.

I wonder how this pulling the wool over your eyes will work out with the Turkey Muslims though.
Anyway word is they're set up for a military coop (again).
Who knows, maybe around September or October.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by spacebot]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join