It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the Magnetosphere Simulation tell us?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Great thread Phage..

Here's yesterday..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Phage, Brokenheadphonez. I have a question maybe one of you two could answer. Sunspot 1024 is about to go behind the sun(at least thats what i get from the pictures) Once it goes behind the sun. The Solar Flares it admits, will they affect earth?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Cruxshadows

Once they're behind the sun I don't think they'll affect us. But here is how a solar physicist explained it to me, via email:

If a CME occurs near disk center [within some 30 degrees, it will hit the Earth]. And will have some effect, but for a really big effect, the magnetic field within the CME has to be directed to the South. That is much harder to gauge and I don't know of any reliable way of doing that. Energetic particles from flares are most likely to hit us if the flare happens on the Western hemisphere of the Sun, because they follow the magnetic field lines and those that connect with the Earth come from 45 degrees to the West of the disk center.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Just wanted to stop by and thank you again, Phage. I've tried to make sense of these images before. This has given me a much better understanding.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

Should we be expecting any sort of major problems from whats been going on lately? How are we looking for the next few days? I haven't slept in a long time because i have been watching/worrying about all this stuff. I could use a nap.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cruxshadows

Then take a nap. The world won't end today, or this week, or this summer..

When you get anxious, just stop - close your eyes and clear your mind - take a series of deep breaths, and remind yourself that we're all going to be OK.

That being said, prepare for a cold winter.. If you let anxiety take over, you're not in control of yourself. You need to be in control of yourself, and I'm certain that you can do this.

Good luck, take care of yourself. Treat yourself to something special.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." -FDR

[edit on 8-7-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That video confirmed my fears of the jellyfish crop circle, the magnetic readings were going insane.

I can understand this and I know what to look for.

that scared me.... especially since it shows what happened during the eclipse.

it went off the charts.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LaVey666

They were not going "insane", this is typical behavior..

Please relax..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

I am glad there are people like you on this board. You are very knowledgeable and while other people are saying everything is going haywire you state the truth so thank you.

With that, I am going to take me a nap!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

as always Phage great post, thank you for the time you put in

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks Phage!

As usual, you post information to us here on ATS that helps us understand life in general, and the chaotic universe we live in.... GOOD JOB!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
We are certainly seeing a little more action on these images today.

Here's just a little sample:

Some of "The magnetic field" images have been a bit crazy as well today...I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, just pointing it out.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

Indeed!

Both pressure and density have increased. I believe the interesting behavior in the magnetic field lines is related to the activity in magnetic orientation of the solar wind. Keep an eye on those data streams.

The possibility of this kind of activity was forecast a couple of days ago, the results of the coronal holes we saw earlier. "Unsettled" is what SWPC calls it.

[edit on 7/9/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I believe the interesting behavior in the magnetic field lines is related to the activity in magnetic orientation of the solar wind. Keep an eye on those data streams.

I have been keeping an eye on the data streams, and the Bz & By data streams have reversed polarity twice now (or at least the Bz stream has) in the last 3 hours.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm

I believe the interesting behavior in the magnetic field lines is related to the activity in magnetic orientation of the solar wind. Keep an eye on those data streams.

I have been keeping an eye on the data streams, and the Bz & By data streams have reversed polarity twice now (or at least the Bz stream has) in the last 3 hours.

gotta love these armchair scientists that sit on ats allday and try to diss others (like questioningall) do you even have a degree in anything?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachfin
gotta love these armchair scientists that sit on ats allday and try to diss others (like questioningall) do you even have a degree in anything?

QuestioningAll put out a false/propaganda article stating things that were not true, and deserved to be confronted with facts regarding it. When I confronted her with the FACTS she wouldn't even reply, although she did admit to reading everybody's responses. At this point I feel that she deserves to be "dissed on" since she is obviously spreading ignorance, rather than denying it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

The "holes" which occur are not really holes through the magnetosphere. They are more like tunnels into the magnetosphere which allow the charged particles of the solar wind to penetrate to areas that they can't normally reach. These areas are thousands of miles above the surface of the Earth and the "holes" pose no direct danger. But...if one of them happens to form at the same time as a good sized event on the Sun, the additional charged particles could enhance the processes which lead to geomagnetic storms and kick it up a notch or two.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Phage]

i know this is an older thread, but i'm hope hope HOPING phage will be around to answer, and also hoping i can word it in a way that is easy to understand what i'm asking.

last night we had a bit of a geomagnetic storm...i was watching the magnetosphere simulator and noticed something i had never noticed before: www2.nict.go.jp...

okay, that one is from right now and ill just use it as an example, the blue on the left side of the earth, the half-circle of blue inside the area of pressure....last night it was showing quite a bit of pressure too....in that it was more of an aqua color....more on the opaque side.

anyways, why would this be??? or what could that mean?

could it mean that maybe our magnetosphere wasn't um.....as equipped as it should have been...if thats the right way to put it?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

I do know what you are talking about but I can't tell you exactly what it means but it seems to happen when the overall pressure levels are low (I think). I can tell you that it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the magnetosphere. The simulation models the magnetic field of Earth as a "given" quantity with "given" characteristics. It models how the variations of the solar wind affect it and are affected by it.

In other words, even if there were something "wrong" with the real magnetosphere, the simulation would not show it. It models the magnetosphere as is "should" be.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thank you SO much for replying!!!

i just think its so interesting since in some pics i've seen of the magnetosphere really getting slammed its perfectly clear inside that circle. *shrugs* we shall see

another thing of interest, it seems that all the stats i can find on the sun in realtime are offline or something.

spacweather.com stats have been static allllll day, same with the magnetosphere simulation...solarcycle24.com...
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

have you seen anything like this, i think even some SOHO sats are offline or something....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Not really all day, only since 22:56 UTC.
None of the ground stations have been receiving data since then. I'm not sure why but it happens from time to time.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

SOHO and STEREO seem fine but SDO hasn't returned anything for "all day".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join