It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ever happened to 'Please' & 'Thank You'?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I should have mentioned that I think in New York City, Boston, Chicago and DC there is a law that everyone must be rude and uncaring. That must be the case.

Oh, and thank you for the post.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That's quite a sad story. The loss of manners and respect in our society. I don't know how it came that far but I'm sure parents are a lot to blame.

To your question: "What happened to "Please" and "Thank you":

"Please" got replaced by "Give it to me! Damn it!"

and

"Thank you!" got replaced by "Now where I got what I wanted, F@!% off!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What happeend to them? You sound like my boss. I'm one of the most polite and kind kids of my age group(18), I use the words "Please", "Thank you" "You're welcome" "Sir, ma-hm, madam" "have a nice/good/great day" "take care" etc in every day conversation.

Nothing happened to being polite and having manners, as many people my age group still does. it's just thta those words are far less frequent in today's times.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
and
reply to post by DaMod
and
reply to post by Thousand
and
reply to post by nunya13

Whoa Nellie, it's good to stir the hornet's nest every now and again.
Ok, so maybe my comment was a bit extreme but if it seemed "black and white" as one of you pointed out, it's because that was exactly the point I was making.

In its most rudimenatry level, every time you have polarity you will always have two forces at work that are constantly opposing yet attracted to each other.

In this case we are dealing with positive and negative forces.
Again I use the word rudimentary so whatever you do, don't let the three religions dictate their visions and beliefs of what is good and what is evil because we all should know what they are. No long white robe & long white bearded God and certainly no bearded, goatie sporting horned devil, just think of these as positive and negative forces.

Now back to my original quote:

Originally posted by Alxandro
If one refuse to believe in God then yes they are evil, plain and simple.

Translation, if you refuse to be influenced by one then you are choosing instead to be influenced by the other, plain and simple.

I'm sure you remember those classic cartoons where the character would have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other influencing their every move, kinda the same thing here.

Very similar to what Native Americas believe about feeding the wolf.
There are different variations of this story but it goes like this:

Feeding The Wolf -
A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt about the tragedy. He said, “I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving, compassionate one.”

The grandson asked him, “Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?”

The grandfather answered, “The one I feed.”

link

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Please read my previous post.
I too don't subscribe to the traditional, spoon fed "Renaissance" vision of good and evil, but I do know there is a God and d-Evil and these two forces have been at war with each other since almost the beginning of time.

There are good and evil qualities in all of us, (read the wolf story above) so any "labels" I may have put "on people I know nothing about", as you stated, was done so with this notion in mind.
The Golden Rule can affect us all if we let it.
Ever notice how a smile can change a person demeanor?

Even though I never made any reference to Christianity in my original post, I also agree with your assessment of "Christian conservative" to a certain degree.
I myself try to avoid businesses that flaunt the Jesus fish symbol because it's been my experience they usually overprice their merchandise, goods and services.
But, are all Chrisian businesses like that? I don't know, but I'd like to think not.
Do I fault all Christians for that? No
Should I fault Jesus? Certainly not!

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
Mankind is not getting rid of God, mankind is evolving his theology about God.

We are all grains of sand and "God" is the beach.

What affects one of us affects all of us and most people just can't see that.

Couldn't agree with you more, that's pretty much what I'm touching on here.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04
The gentleman responded, "My apologies, I hold doors for ladies. I misidentified you. Good day" Then he released the door, and she turned purple.

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh, that's a good one!! Screw that, it's a GREAT one!!! If this ever happens to me, I'm so using that line!!! Thank YOU for sharing it!!

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
...for example they won't say please or thank you to a waiter, because the waiter is merly doing his/her job...

I wait tables for a living and can tell you that this is NOT a smart idea! The best line in the movie Waiting is when Ryan Renolds' character gives his trainee the 'Golden Rule' of dining: "DON'T F@CK WITH THE PEOPLE WHO HANDLE YOUR FOOD!" I have known more than a few Servers who would think nothing of adding a 'special' ingredient to an exceptionally rude guest! I can't bring myself to do it, bad Karma, but even I have thought about it! Something to remember when you dine out!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread, even if it has degenerated into Left vs. Right, God-fearing vs. God-less banter that is apparently ubiquitous to every thread on ATS.

Truth be known, neither politeness nor manners have fallen out of favor, even if it is regarded as a dying art much akin to the practice of chivalry and being gentlemanly.

I utilize my "Please" and "Thank you" all the time, without exception. (Although admittedly, I take it a step further and use antiquated forms such as "If it pleases, may..." and "Thank you most kindly". When asked for something, whether it be by an authority figure or a stranger I start of the conversation with "How may I serve?" Not only do people take notice of these unfamiliar colloquialisms, but it instantly changes the tenor of the conversation and produces a favorable reaction, even from those who were initially contentious. It is almost unbelievable how easily you can manipulate anyone with a few carefully chosen words used with charm.

My child has always done the same since she could speak, and I have neither had to urge her to do so or to chastise her for forgetting. She has learned entirely from observing her father doing so with everyone I meet, in every occasion, and has done likewise. Everyone we meet has to comment on how well-mannered my daughter is, and it makes a father proud.

It leads one to believe that if a person does not use manners than they did not observe their parents and later their peers doing such. If you would rather politeness, manners and common civility were to become more commonplace in our society, then the one way in doing that is to lead by setting an example. Chastising or pointing out lack of politeness, manners or common civility is only going to further entrench the already petulant.

For those that say that it takes too much energy or effort to show civility in their manners, and to be polite to everyone they meet, I find such comments to be nothing more than justification for laziness. There will always be those who remain uncouth, but there really is no excuse for it either than ignorance or simple impertinence.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Interesting attempt at a back peddle. You being a Christian, you'll forgive me if I don't believe a word of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Back peddling is an understatement! More like a complete reversal! Maybe we got through to him!

To everyone posting, I have gained great insight into this subject from all of your replies. Thanks again!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Personally i have to interact with somebody waiting on my table. Be that in a restaurant or somebody collecting empty glasses off the table in a bar . I cringe , when people just outright blank somebody.
Just a simple thanks ...... no intimate life stories required , just a simple acknowledgement.

Then again , i`ve heard friends who work as waitresses say, sometimes they prefer to get on with their job without making mindless chitt-chat all night with strangers ...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Chit chat is not required, and if busy, not possible, but being rude is never acceptable! I sometimes feel that guests forget that you are a human being with feelings. I especially hate it when a guest treats you like 'the help' (especially if it's a child!). It's ser-ver, not ser-vant! That will ensure that you receive minimal service from me! Sometimes you get 'crap' service because of your 'crap' attitude!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Hey Jax. WoW. I just had this conversation like 2 days ago.
I'm also in the Food & Wine Industry as well, and noticed it blatantly, like you have.
I know......it's quite dispicable.
No Etiquettes, whatsoever!

How many times do you hear: "I want" "I need."
Kills me. I see it in children as you mentioned often, very often.....
A governor of Massachusetts long time ago, said something in a speech, that has been etched in my memory ever since I frst heard it.
He said; "The most important desk you'll ever sit at, is the dinner table.|"
Now that I'm in my 30's I know more than ever the value of it.
I do'nt have any kids, but dam strait my kids would have the miminum decency for atleast a please and thank you.
I think that the root of the problem is we (as a society) have become distant from the basic family values.
I blame the parents on the kids behalf.
But still, what have we become?
When I was younger, my father went as far as making me sit at the table with a book on my head, because he thought I had bad posture at the dinner table.
It worked btw. And still think about it.
I also got my ass kicked infront of thousands of people at JFK ariport when I was 8 years old for pulling the fire alarm......

Nah....but the point is......I feel in America, atleast, kids get away with too much sh*t, and it's almost sickening to watch a parent letting their kids get away with talking back, and not giving commom courtesy to others when necessary.
It's almost like kids have become trophies for these parents, with the haircuts and cool clothes, and qui9te frankly it's a form of child fetish, if you will.
Appauling. Really.

Anyway....Thank You....lol

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Hell, I think the world revolves around me but I still find time to use manners

Everyone should think that the world revolves around them...and that they should always be ready to lend a helping hand. Being the center means you are needed...

This type of thinking gives me more confidence and kindness.

Kind of ironic because many would label such a type of thinking as arrogant and cocky.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I was instilled with my courtesy from my grandmother...she raised me when I was a child and so did my mother....

but it is a lesson I never forgot, and continue to use on a daily basis.

idk when people lost their ability to be nice and thank someone....but yes it is recognizable everywhere today that it is a thing that is slipping away each generation

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I agree when I was growing up we had manners. I dont like how this generations going.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Back peddling is an understatement! More like a complete reversal! Maybe we got through to him!

What are you two talking about?

I've made reference to this same Native American wolf story here before and I've made reference to God in a white robe bit as well so there is no back peddling or reversal going on here.

Jaxon, I can't believe you're pulling a Perez Hilton in broad daylight.
You ask a question, don't like the answer I give and you start bashing me.
You're losing cred dude.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

JR..."please" know I'm "thankful" for you

OT thinks is a result/fruit/outcome of the multiple divorces/breakdown of the family...

That's the root cause perse'

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I'm not bashing you at all. There is a marked difference in both the tone and message between your initial post and those further up on this page. Simple observation. Had I wished to bash you, I would have joined the lynch mob that went after you following your initial post.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

Originally posted by XXXN3O

The other day I was going into a building and held the door open for a female which I would consider to be manners. I thought nothing of it as its in my nature to let people go before me if they look in a hurry, not just women either.
The woman stopped and called me a sexist pig before demanding I walk in the door first. I tried to explain that I thought she was in a hurry as she ran over but was snapped at yet again.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

The same has happened to me. I've learned that the only way to 'win' that argument is to just release the door. Usually they are standing in the doors way. When it hits them just shrug, and walk away.

Its unbelievable because then you get accused of being ignorant.

Gotta love it.

I guess some people really are just too hard to please.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

A star for you holding that door open.

What a stupid and pig brained person.

I have men hold doors for me all the time and I make a point of looking at them, smile and say thank you.

So, for that idiot that ripped at you, thank you for being a nice human being.

The custom of a man holding a door open for a woman comes from ages back when doors were really big and really heavy and most men are bigger and stronger physically.

Anyone now days that does anything nice for someone ought to be thanked.

That person was just thoughtless and maybe having a bad day.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join