It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ever happened to 'Please' & 'Thank You'?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
You have people starving to death, homeless people, little kids who have never seen a clean glass of water, kids who have to catch rats to eat.
And yet you have the uber ignorant carrying on about unimportant made up things like manners.
Wanting people to almost beg them for simple things like passing the salt.
Not hard to see whats wrong with the world.

Well we'll make sure not to go into YOUR thread about world hunger, and make a fuss about starving people not saying thank you for a bowl of rice.

Ok?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
If one refuse to believe in God then yes they are evil, plain and simple.

Holy crap. Why are you not on ignore...

That is the most retarded and ignorant thing I've read this year.

ust wow..J

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

Excellent, that one went into my collection of quotes.

Everyone should read that a couple times.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I think what happened is too many people started thinking that the world revolves around them and that the world is here to suit their needs. Then, they pass this on to their children.

Excellent observation and I hope everyone reads your post a couple times.

We're all in this together and if we all play nice together this thing we call life might be more enjoyable for us all.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Well, a lot has to do with progressive Liberal idealogies and the attempt to get rid of God.

I don't believe in a personal / Christian "God" and I'm very polite. Not because I have to be or I fear "going to hell" but just because it is the right thing to do, that's how I was raised and if everyone was "nice" and more considerate, we wouldn't be in the mess us humans and our planet now find ourselves in.

You're putting labels on people that you know nothing about.

You're showing prejudice against those that do not cow tow to your belief system and that is rude.

Some of the rudest people I have met are "Christian conservatives" they tend to be self-righeous, smug and arrogant with no regard for their fellow man.

Some of the nicest people I have met are not hooked up into the "God Program".

Mankind is not getting rid of God, mankind is evolving his theology about God.

We are all grains of sand and "God" is the beach.

What affects one of us affects all of us and most people just can't see that.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I've always been polite, but I think part of it may stem from wanting people to perceive me as someone who is good... and part due to being raised with some values.

First impressions last a lifetime.

Saying please and thank you are automatic for some, but I think that some people just don't give a ____.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
"Do unto others as you would have them do onto you".

(The golden rule)

If everyone just stopped before doing or saying something and thought, "how would I like this said or done to me?" the world could be such a lovely place to live in.

We make our existence the way it is by our words and deeds.

Each day I try to perform one "random act of kindness".

Google "random act of kindness".

If everyone just did one random act of kindness each day, not expecting any "payback" imagine how much happier we all would be.

We can all make this a heaven or a hell the choice is ours.

"United we stand - divided we fall".

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I make sure people aren't rude.

Whenever they ask me for something, I hold my hand to my ear and stand there.

Most of the time people don't get what I want them to do.... (sad really)

Then I start to kinda lip the word, and they finally say please.

They usually just say please after that. If they say NOW! instead of please (which happens more often than it should) I just say, "No you should have asked me nicely".

[edit on 7-7-2009 by DaMod]

so...... when you percieve people as being impolite because they don't use the vocabulary you approve of, your response is being a jerk?

@octotom "konnten sie mit mir nach hause kommen" isn't medium polite, its wrong. its either können or könnten. "sie" and "du" has some advantages, but you can't really blame the english for obliterating "thou"

Anyway language and how you use it changes. Goes for things that are percieved as polite/impolite as well. Now people in a low paid job might have a different idea about when and how to pay respect to the other person than you. Doesn't mean they don't. It's just that you don't understand their code.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I think it may have been Catholic school, but I really cannot say, that I learned to always say please, thank you, excuse me, sir, ma'am etc.. hold doors for people etc.

I always thought it was common decency, and your right common decency in general, not just words but actions are in fast decline.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
All the strangers I meet would have no problem letting me without my job in case of a job interview. Why should I care. Capitalism ! Total separation from others. Gollum society.

Also see that company that checks to see if people smile on the job - using computers.
cryptogon.com...

www.ascentofhumanity.com...

We live in a world that literally does not care. Your telephone company, despite their recorded messages, does not actually care about you, the customer. The clerk at the supermarket does not actually care whether you "have a nice day." How could he, not even knowing you? The programmer of the automatic checkout machine does not actually harbor feelings of gratitude toward you, whatever the message on screen. Your waiter is not actually interested in how you folks are doing today. These are all part of the ubiquitous matrix of lies I mentioned in Chapter Two, and they reveal so clearly what exactly it is that we have converted into money. We have sold off authentic human relationship.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
One thing that does irk me more than most things, is that when I am polite, courteous or offer a seat to someone, they assume no obligation to even smile.

I remember once on a train, I stood up for an elderly person for them to sit down. They were nice, smiled and refused (I think their stop was next) but no sooner than I stood up and we'd made eye contact, some young dunce jumped into the seat.

And as Im rather non-confrontational in public at the best of times, all I could do was stare at him, hoping via ESP he knew what a creep he was.

Or times when you, as others have said, hold a door open for a lady, only to have them rush past with not so much as a "ta!" on the way. Like Im a doorman.

I do like the idea of letting the door go if they do have an attitude. Im glad to say however, at least in Perth, that has never happened. If I ever got called a chauvinistic pig for holding the door open for a lady, I would probably become one. Sadly, the buttons I carry when in public are very twitchy... 8^/

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Maybe the world isn't such a nice place and all the fake smiles are wearing off. I would much rather people be authentic than smile and put their palms together and be- oh, so spiritual all the time. You know, the ones who act like they are at a New Age conference at the grocery store meanwhile they are a total mess.
That being said, when one recognizes that the person serving them is just like oneself then it is appropriate to say "thank you". But this requires personal growth and wisdom.
Also, having manners doesn't depend on the whim of some god, this attitude is just as bad as universal liberalism. In one case you have the oppressive but polite 50's and in the other you have today where if an adult scorns a kid he is liable to be booked for child abuse.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Or times when you, as others have said, hold a door open for a lady, only to have them rush past with not so much as a "ta!" on the way. Like Im a doorman.

Could that be because that isn't polite but intrusive? The thought obviously has already occured to you.
If you walk on a sidewalk and see a woman walking nearer to the street than you, do you push her towards the houses 'where she belongs' too?

And if lack of smiles and thank yous "irks you", you are only being polite because you expect rewards out of it. If i got the vibe of you that your politeness is just an act to get what you want from me, i would deny it to you too.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I always say Please and Thank You.

For example:

"Please stop being an butthead"

"Thank you for not acting like a ###"

"Please understand this is nothing personal"

Sorry but I had to be a bit sarcastic because even with Please and Thank You's these days the underlying tones are everything but courteous.

Actions speak louder than words, but words are a wonderful start and can make or break someone's day.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Oh man, when I was a waitress, I would get some serious crap from people.

If want to see if you want to do business with somebody, watch them how they treat waitstaff.

As for the manners thing, it might go into the whole, everyone is in a hurry thing. Many are distracted. But many feel self entitled. As usual, there is no one reason.

It started simply, people wanted privacy, they stopped talking about themselves, now manners are no longer needed. Just don't talk to strangers at all if you can help it.

I heard a story once about a man who moved to the US from AFrica. How astonished he was because everyone was so cold. How are you? FINE. How is your family? FINE

Yet, in his country, if you asked, you got an answer. My mother went to a church function and made the best mac salad. She then bought a a new car, it is running great!She is growing zucchini this year. My sister......

AFter living in the US for ten years? How is your family? FINE

Ever notice people will not look at each other when sitting in traffic? How many people do you pass each day in traffic? Yet we refuse to look at each other??? We are all hudddled in our sealed cars.

I was frowning in a mirror once at all my grey hairs. And the guy next to me rolled down his window and said: you look beautiful. Totally made my day, whether he meant or not.

I have actually had people say goodmorning, and sadly, it has taken me by surprise.

Maybe when we start respecting the fact that each other exists, we will start respecting manners again.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by debunky

I don't agree with this. I appreciate people opening doors for me. Including other women. I hold open doors all the time and get people not saying a word.

What I do is yell at them: THANK YOU. I do this all the time. funny how they ignore me.

I often wonder if it is about status. Someone forces you to be grateful to them. So you don't lower your status by saying it. All about power play.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I say thank you to anyone who serves me.
I hate serving people so why not make it a more pleasant experience simply because I know what its like.
Even if someone is paid to deal with you I think manners and plain respect for the fellow man does apply regardless.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tungus
That being said, when one recognizes that the person serving them is just like oneself then it is appropriate to say "thank you". But this requires personal growth and wisdom.

I would offer a considerate 'thank you' to anyone who did me a service, a favor, a kind gesture or even asked how I was.

Regardless if they were 'like myself'.

I think you just may have highlighted the actual problem without realising it.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by badw0lf]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The world is becoming more crowded. You can call it city syndrome if you please. People feel rushed and on edge, and they have so much to do.... So little time for manners.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

Originally posted by badw0lf

Could that be because that isn't polite but intrusive? The thought obviously has already occured to you.

No, it's because a lady is walking towards the same entrance as I, and I could just let the door slam in her face. I choose, however, to hold the door open for them, as I have always done.

If you walk on a sidewalk and see a woman walking nearer to the street than you, do you push her towards the houses 'where she belongs' too?

Yes I do, I obvously NEED women to be in their place... Oo ?? Oh an while shes in the gutter, she can open MY doors, that damn wench.

And if lack of smiles and thank yous "irks you", you are only being polite because you expect rewards out of it.

Well, I cannot fault you for how you were raised. Only who raised you. If you consider snide arrogance an acceptable response to someone offering you courtesy, then such is life. And such is the premise of this thread. Sad, really.

I, on the other hand, was raised to be considerate. It's a struggle when near everyone you encounter is an obnoxious git, but still - in real life, I do try.

That you think it's a strange concept, and one that seems condescending, is most likely an indication of your life - not that of the wider world.

So, in that respect, I wont take you to task on it. You missed out.

If i got the vibe of you that your politeness is just an act to get what you want from me, i would deny it to you too.

You appear to get bad vibes from common courtesy - paranoia is troublesome... oO

Again - Such is life..

Edit _ damn fingers..

[edit on 8/7/2009 by badw0lf]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join