It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ever happened to 'Please' & 'Thank You'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

I will definitely watch this later this evening! Thank you for posting it! Here's the link to an article with a link to the entire documentary:

Rude: Where are our Manners?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What happened to just generally being nice to each other too?... I am mid twenties, and I make a point of being polite, warm and friendly to every human being and animal I encounter. I stop and talk to elderly people in the park, it doesn't hurt to spread a little love to each other, yet we seldom seem to do it.

Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Uh, to answer your question, yeah!
If one refuse to believe in God then yes they are evil, plain and simple.

Your argument doesn't hold water. I'm agnostic and manners are damn important imo. It's about holding yourself above what today's life has been dealing to you.

That said, I'm apparently an "evil person."

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Maybe it's a good thing, because please then becomes a "magic word" once again, something meaningful.

Hmm, maybe I'll add that to my repertoire of manipulative sales techniques... jk!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Your welcome.. I actually had the entire vid link on my facebook but was too lazy to log in lol. Seems sometimes if I post part I of something, most people stop there and assume that is all there is, whoops lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I tell you what it is : no education.As simple as that.
Example : I help a lot of people with their computer problems ( always had this hobby since i was a kid). Most young people never say thank you or please.I thought, no big deal,that's how they are. I used to work with a woman who has two kids. She doesn't work with me anymore,but she has two kids. The boy called me a few days ago crying because his computer stopeed working.

We worked it out on the phone, over a span of a few days.They live too far from me, i couldnt' go there and do it myself. At the end of each conversation, the kid thanked me two or three times.
He just sent me a text message, thanking me again for all the help i gave him. He's 9 years old, but i know his mother and how she raises her kids.
And to be in disagreement with Intrepid, there are people ( like her), who work 2 jobs, and still have time to raise their kids properly.

Add to this the fact that we are from totally different backgrounds, me and them, i care not for religion, they do,deeply, we don't have the same mother tongue or even the same skin color.

I don't think it has anything to do with progressive thinking or godless people. I always say thank you and please and i smile as much as i can.I'm not that old,but i'm not young either. Education,that's all. The first years at home, where your parents are supposed to teach you empathy, to value other things beside your beautiful self, and the importance of conducting yourself on a civil manner.That's what's gone. And don't blame the technology or the Internet or any of that stuff.

Un educated grownups raise their kids like that. And it's not the kid fault.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this topic up. I ask this question all the time. My children are being raised to be courteous. They say Yes Sir and Yes Mam, even to me and my wife. They still hold the door for Ladies, as well as I, despite the odd and sometimes hateful looks for doing so.

There just seems to be a general self-absorbed depression in the world today. I think it is because so many people living close together. Use to people were glad to see a stranger because they lived so far apart from their neighbors.
Over population, greed, and general distrust contribute greatly also.

link   
I agree with drumsrfun and intrepid.

Parents are overworked, and kids have grown up with an undeserved idea of self-entitlement. (not always, but a lot).

A week or so ago, I left a store with a raging headache due to a child screeching for a good twenty minutes for something his mother wouldn't buy him. What struck me was how rarely that happens anymore. More often than not, I've noticed parents (probably overworked, tired, and guilt ridden about being able to spend little time with their kids) buy them or give them whatever they want. For whatever reason, parents can't seem to give their kids enough, and its usually for kids that already have quite a bit. Still, they can't say no- or won't.

It's gotten to a point -I've noticed- that some kids are rewarded for bad behavior to save the parents the extra headache or fight.

Thus, when bad bahavior affords children the spoils, we will have a generation of spoiled, manner-lacking brats.

Thank you for your time.

link   

Originally posted by Mer Ka Bah
What happened to just generally being nice to each other too?... I am mid twenties, and I make a point of being polite, warm and friendly to every human being and animal I encounter. I stop and talk to elderly people in the park, it doesn't hurt to spread a little love to each other, yet we seldom seem to do it.

Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

You aren't the only one. I do that too. Being generally nice to each other and spreading love is a good thing.

A quote from land and confusion. "There's too many men, too many people making too many problems, and there ain't much love to go round. This is the land of confusion."

Spread the love, and thank you for your kind insight.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

What a load of utter tripe! God fearin' conservatives are just as rude as the godless liberals you refer to! Shall I remind you of the rudest thing I heard during the Presidential Debates of the last election cycle: "That one!" It was rude, crude and downright snarky!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I'm agnostic and manners are damn important imo. It's about holding yourself above what today's life has been dealing to you.

An agnostic that appears to be living by a variation of the The Golden Rule.
How ironic!

That said, I'm apparently an "evil person."

Well, maybe not, but them horns sure look scary!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
In a thread about manners lets remember to be nice on this topic.
If you disagree then we can just agree to disagree.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Respect is earned not demanded, demanding someone do something or say something because you do something for them is demanding acknowledgment. And is about servitude and ownership almost like demanding payment.

I find people who demand acknowledgment from others to satisfy their own inadequacies as selfish and bordering around the realms of a psychopath.

If life was to be more about giving instead of taking, then it would be wrong to give only under certain conditions this would not be giving it would be trading.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I was raised to extend good manners to others and every meal time was also a training ground so that I could venture into the world and hold my own. Do I think it was a waste of time? NO. Using please and thank you comes naturally to me and proper etiquette engenders respect with those that really matter.

I do not think that any age group has a monoply on bad maners as I also encounter older folk who appear to have no social graces.

I often will add "please" when I am asked to provide something and the person requesting omits the word. I also then add "thank you" when handing over/finishing the request. The person usually looks at me like I have 6 heads on each shoulder
I actually think they are the weirdo

I agree that these two important respectful words are often forgotten due to selfishness and ignorance, whether it be due to lack of education or egoism I do not know but, yes sadly good manners are now passe.

Good thread topic

cheers
resi

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

ROTFL!!! Good point! However, it is a debate style forum, so...

Still, great observation, considering the topic!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Talk about missing the point! Let's review what we are talking about:

manners,

a. the prevailing customs, ways of living, and habits of a people, class, period, etc.; mores: The novels of Jane Austen are concerned with the manners of her time.

b. ways of behaving with reference to polite standards; social comportment: That child has good manners.

decorum

1. dignified propriety of behavior, speech, dress, etc.

2. the quality or state of being decorous; orderliness; regularity.

3. Usually, decorums. an observance or requirement of polite society.

Dictionary.com

You will never earn someone's respect by being disrespectful. You know the old saying, "If you're not part of the solution..."

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
When I was growing up (the 60's and 70's), manners were not an option. To not use expressions like 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me' etc., was considered rude and improper. Nowadays, however, manners and decorum are a thing of the past. Children no longer ask for things in a civilized manner, instead they demand them (I work in a restaurant and see this daily), and adults are no better.

You can see it in politics. You can see it online. You can see it in the grocery store. You can see it at your favorite fast food joint (usually from the customers, but sometimes from the employees as well).

So, please tell me, what ever happened to simple manners?

And I thank you in advance for your insights on this subject!

[edit on 7-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

As a male under my 30's I find myself completely baffled to be honest.

The other day I was going into a building and held the door open for a female which I would consider to be manners. I thought nothing of it as its in my nature to let people go before me if they look in a hurry, not just women either.
The woman stopped and called me a sexist pig before demanding I walk in the door first. I tried to explain that I thought she was in a hurry as she ran over but was snapped at yet again.

I must admit that I have found many people who consider themselves to have some form of delusional social status or a large bank account lacking in manners.

When it comes to the majority of people though where I am from (Scotland) many value manners as respecting yourself and others around you.

This will however only get worse as people get more self absorbed for various reasons. Self respect is something that seems to be declining in society these days and reflects in manners a lot.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
When I was growing up (the 60's and 70's), manners were not an option. To not use expressions like 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me' etc., was considered rude and improper. Nowadays, however, manners and decorum are a thing of the past. Children no longer ask for things in a civilized manner, instead they demand them (I work in a restaurant and see this daily), and adults are no better.

You can see it in politics. You can see it online. You can see it in the grocery store. You can see it at your favorite fast food joint (usually from the customers, but sometimes from the employees as well).

So, please tell me, what ever happened to simple manners?

And I thank you in advance for your insights on this subject!

[edit on 7-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

Manners went out the door when the "I'm a victim" movement swept in. All of a sudden, everyone is a victim and everyone deserves more than the rest. It is pathetic, really. And I can't wait for it to be over with!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
Respect is earned not demanded, demanding someone do something or say something because you do something for them is demanding acknowledgment. And is about servitude and ownership almost like demanding payment.

I find people who demand acknowledgment from others to satisfy their own inadequacies as selfish and bordering around the realms of a psychopath.

If life was to be more about giving instead of taking, then it would be wrong to give only under certain conditions this would not be giving it would be trading.

Well, can you imagine if everyone has this attitude? I think we would live in a rather grumpy, thankless, bitter society.

No thanks

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. It has given me hope for the future, for most part. There have been a few exceptions.

Please continue to keep it up, even when it seems totally unapreciated (like the woman with the 'sexist pig' comment).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join