It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to ditch climate policies'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Time to ditch climate policies'

news.bbc.co.uk

An international group of academics is urging world leaders to abandon their current policies on climate change.

The authors of How to Get Climate Policy Back on Course say the strategy based on overall emissions cuts has failed and will continue to fail.

They want G8 nations and emerging economies to focus on an approach based on improving energy efficiency and decarbonising energy supply.

Critics of the report's recommendations say they are a dangerous diversion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scientists: Spraying aerosols into atmosphere may reduce global warming

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think those of us interested have read plenty of point, counter point, articles are reports about this. They have all been from one group of experts or another. All been support by one school or another, and for every report supporting one side a different report supports the other.
My opinion on the whole matter is that you can look at it one of two ways. Either the planet is way to polluted and we are all going to die out from the poisons we have already dumped, or the planet can still be saved. Please feel free to argue it all out.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Regardless of climate change green energy is still the best for the environment, it's just hard to justify the costs if the planet is not going to be destroyed. In today's world we are not only seeing a trend with trying to save the world with green energy, people are also starting to eat healthier and recycle. It's just the "thing to do" these days. It is where I live anyways, but I do live in a college town and our trends seem to be a bit ahead of other areas.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
just watched a tv show where the Australian government dropped two guided missiles into a cargo ship and sunk it... why i hear you ask?.. because the coast guard found 150 kilos of drugs being smuggled onit so they took the crew off and sank the ship.... and they wonder why the ocean is polluted.....

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
There is plenty of time to clear things up. We are not Venus 2. Yet. However i find current approach to the problem pretty silly and politicians who promote it - do it only for their personal agenda.
Initiative for this should come from regular people, and people would start to care only if it is explained to them how they are daily exposed/harmed by pollution in water,food and air. Like - Mr Z - water you drink contains this and that and it can cause this and that. Food is sprayed with this and that and it is developed by drs strangeloves for profit so it can do this and that , and ctr.
Only from this people can understand what is going on. Global problems really do not "touch" normal individuals enough so that he would sacrifice few bucks to clear up stuff. And companies that pollute will not clear their junk because they got lobbists left and right.
But i am optimistic.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I am 100% against Cap & Trade because it is nothing but a money scam that will do nothing but make a few people rich at the expense of the people. I would not bat an eye if I was taxed to support a "true initiative" that would actually promote clean energy and energy independence from imports.

There are 2 Major initiatives that I would gladly sponsor:

Algae Oil, A Real Solution:
A true biofuel that can produce 10,000 to 20,000 gallons per acre (100 times that of corn or soy) and is carbon neutral.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Plasma Power Plants - A Real Solution

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Educate yourself, deny ignorance, and spread the word.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Infolurker
I agree with you about cap and trade. I don't think it is a good idea either. As to everything else you posted, it is a lot of good information. Thanks for posting it all.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I am all for alternative fuels and green energy... and dumping poison like mercury etc into the ocean is just plain stupid... (bet there were some happy fish in Australia though...
)

BUT

A long time ago in a land at the bottom of the world, there was a lake... a big deep lake like the Great Lakes. This lake is fresh water and still warm from geothermal vents despite the fact it is buried now under miles of ice...

The last time this lake saw the light of day was 420,000 years ago...

Well this lake lies beneath the Russian Antarctic station Vostok, hence its name Lake Vostok.

Now scientist, being the smart wonders that they are, thought it would be cool to drill down and check it out. As they got close... they spotted microbes in the ice... never been seen before... so someone with a brain called a stop... saying it was probably not a good idea to release unknown microbes on an unsuspecting planet..

Ya think?

Anyway never mind the possible extinction of the human race by a 400,000 year old bug for now... the drilling gave us something useful...

ICE CORE SAMPLES. Like tree rings these core samples do not lie. Unlike tree rings they are more accurate and show warm years and cold years reliably...

So here is what 415,000 years of ice core samples are saying...

I already installed a wood stove and have two years firewood and some coal, emergency blankets and my Canadian Parkas...

OH and according to NASA the sun is in a solar minimum, lowest since we started the space program

Forget 'Global Warming' Don't forget that trees and plants and Algae thrive on CO2 and give off oxygen...

I recommend getting ready for a cold spell

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon
thanks for the post, some great information.
You did menchen the four hundred and twenty thousand year old bug though. Did the same report happen to say what that turned out to be?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
You did menchen the four hundred and twenty thousand year old bug though. Did the same report happen to say what that turned out to be?

Nope so far they stopped drilling... NASA was supposed to send a probe that they planned to use on Europa... This burrows down but seals itself behind

But hard to get updates

ANTARCTIC DRILLING:
The Plan to Unlock Lake Vostok
Mason Inman 28 October 2005:

After a 6-year pause to consider the risks of environmental contamination, a Russian research team will resume drilling through the Antarctic ice next month.

www.sciencemag.org...

Last update I have is Last updated on 2007/10/05
This shows the cores and drill team
www.gdargaud.net...

Seems NASA used another lake
NASA's ENDURANCE Completes Antarctica Trialsnews.softpedia.com...

So no more news that I found on the drilling status

[edit on 7-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I am not the most educated individual on the types of energy that we could use to replace the current methods. What I do know is that whatever type of energy we do switch to somebody is going to be making a good amount of money off of it.

We need to get over the whole person A has an agenda and they are looking to make their buddies rich mentality. Let's face the facts, that's the only way that this is going to get done. Somebody is going to have to push for an energy change and those with money are going to see a good investment. The people can push for a change but they are only going to be able to make small changes. I am not saying that these small changes are not going to make a difference, it's just that larger changes will also help.

No matter what we do somebody is going to make money. I am sure there is a company somewhere working out the details on how to charge us for the air we breath. It's just the way the world works now.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Bacteria in Lake Vostok
www.geotimes.org...

t’s in this unknown subglacial world where the ice, bedrock and possibly liquid water intermingle that Priscu and other others believe a unique ecosystem may exist. One not driven by photosynthesis but chemosynthesis.

antarcticsun.usap.gov...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
"Global Warming" is measured by government sensors that are in key locations around the world. They are mostly automatic and rarely cared for...

Here is one...

Caption
This picture, taken by www.surfacestations.org volunteer Don Kostuch is the Detroit Lakes, MN USHCN climate station of record. The Stevenson Screen is sinking into the swamp and the MMTS sensor is kept at a comfortable temperature thanks to the nearby A/C units.

How not to measure temperature
www.norcalblogs.com...

new topics

top topics

join