It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workers have daily smile scans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Workers have daily smile scans

www.telegraph.co.uk

Japanese workers face enforced "smile scans" every morning in a bid to boost their customer services.

The "smile scan" software produces a sweeping analysis of a smile based on facial characteristics, from lip curves and eye movements to wrinkles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A happy worker bee is a more productive worker bee!

Smile, smile, smile! (or else).

To be fair, as someone who spent 23 years in Japan and most of the rest of his life in Asia, I can attest that a great deal of cultural value is placed on having a bright, sincere smile in the Japanese service industry. I still find this sort of software a bit too...draconian, perhaps, is the word.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This reminds me of the book Cloud Atlas, if you've never read it, I recommend it. although i think its known as one of the books people find hard to finish

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You said :
I still find this sort of software a bit too...draconian, perhaps, is the word.

I think the word you may be looking for is Orwellian ...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by silent thunder

You said :
I still find this sort of software a bit too...draconian, perhaps, is the word.

I think the word you may be looking for is Orwellian ...

Yes, that's a better fit. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Don't work at the businesses that employ this technology. Simple as that.

Although, the sad fact is, society has owners, and they are the same guys you can read about in the fortune 500. These owners wield nearly all the power, and too often laborers don't have a choice but to work for them.

So I ask you, who has more power over your life: the government, or private enterprise?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Don't work at the businesses that employ this technology. Simple as that.

Easier said than done when you live in the advanced economy most harshly impacted by the downturn (Japan), you may have a family to feed (or, in this land of shrinking population, at least a granny or two to look after), and if you show the slightest complaint, well, there are alwas the 1,675 resumes underneith yours waiting to be read.

Just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hows mine?

Seriously though, look at the most repressive regimes in the world and they don't even come close to having the amount of control over their population as the modern corporation does over their workforce.

For those with a below-par grin, one of an array of smile-boosting messages will op up on the computer screen ranging from "you still look too serious" to "lift up your mouth corners", according to the Mainichi Daily News.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I just had this image flash through my head of that "Adam's Family" movie where they make Wednesday smile. A natural smile can me the world to someone having a down day but I dunno I a forced smile helps much.

On the downside of things, I don't think most people can tell the difference between a forced smile and a natural one. We just don't communicate with each other on a level that goes below the surface much these days.

new topics

top topics

join