It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Lawyer in US linked to Madrid bombing -RELEASED- UPDATED May 20

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A lawyer from Portland Oregon, Brandon Mayfield has been linked to the 3/11 train bombing in Madrid Spain.
He was arrested by FBI agents on Thursday.
Mayfields' fingerprints were found on bomb-related evidence associated with the Madrid attacks.

Reuters

Brandon Mayfield, a U.S. citizen, was taken into custody on a material witness warrant, said a senior law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity. The arrest is the first known in the United States with connections to the March 11 bombings in Madrid.

The FBI also searched the man's home, which he shares with his wife, the official said.

Mayfield's fingerprints were found on materials related to the Madrid bombings, said a second senior law enforcement official, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

He also has links to one of the 6 persons convicted last year of trying to travel to Afghanistan to help al Qaeda.

Related Stories:
Washington Post
WCNC

UPDATE: Mayfield has been released.

MSNBC:
Thursday, Spanish police said that the fingerprints were actually those of a man from Algeria, identified as Ouhnane Daoud, who remains at large.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You see how the Media is working?

This war is TRULY a war on ISLAM and the fast growing pace of the awesome religion.

Everything you hear on the news is about a "converted" Muslim being linked to some kind of terrorism attack.

Let them mold your minds into Christian Crusaders.

"Onward Christian soldiers..."

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If the terrorism has nothing to do with the Muslim religion, why is it that among the Westerners who willingly help with these acts, they are all Muslim converts?

Obviously being Muslim doesn't make you a terrorist or evil person.

However, I think there is something inherent in the structure of the religion to make you less resistant and more accepting of radical interpretations and goading.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67

This war is TRULY a war on ISLAM and the fast growing pace of the awesome religion.

Everything you hear on the news is about a "converted" Muslim being linked to some kind of terrorism attack.

Hey, Illmatic67,

if the guy converted to Islam, he converted to Islam. Fanatics doing things in the name of religion aren't confined to Islam, though. Look at the IRA and UDL. Don't reflect well on the Catholics or the Protestants. Or the Hindus who burnt Muslims alive last year. Just as bad.

These terrorists do what they do in the name of religion. They make religion an issue; they make religion the underlying reason for all they do. An intelligent person knows that they are fanatics, and their views don't necessarily reflect those of most of the people in their religious community. But to criticize the press for reporting this kind of fact is ridiculous.

Are you saying there are non-Muslims involved in Al Queda? That would be a very interesting thing to find out.

Well, I'm sure the weapon merchants and money men who supply Al Queda are of all faiths and no faith.

Islam has been a proselytizing relgion, as well. It had its own violent expansion periods. Ask the Coptics in Egypt, the Greek Orthodox in Constantinople. St. Sophia was a church before it ever was a mosque.

Heck, even Buddhists have been known to pursue violent proselytizing.

Yep, I'd say most religions have had and continue to have their violent crusades. Crusades suck.

You going around accusing innocent people of letting the media mold their minds into Christian Crusaders isn't helping the cause of Islam in the least. It reeks of radical, undiscriminating thought. And all that does is remind your audience of the stupid violent radicalism of a hand-full of renegade Muslim terrorists or perhaps we should call them Muslim Crusaders.

My husband and I owned a very small company that was destroyed by the terrorist acts on 9/11. We had 11 employees. Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Christians. Asian, African, Native American, White. Our African Muslim employee got nothing but support from all of us. We had to lay off every employee, but one. My husband and I struggled for two years after the company went under, keeping our Muslim employee on the payroll even when we had to borrow money to pay him. We did this so he could stay in America and support his family here and back in Africa. He was eventually able to find another job, but we are still friends. We visit, share holidays, share hopes.

Is it through ignorance that you insult me and the many, many Americans like me who have made real sacrifices to support our Muslim friends and neighbors during this terrible time? Or are you trying to make the situation worse? If you are Muslim, you are suppose to be a man of peace. My Muslim friend would NEVER make this kind of inflamatory statement. I'm glad that I got my insights about Islam from him, because he stands for everything measured, tolerant, kind, peaceful and wise.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

stop this please, what if he really did do what is claimed, everything to you seems to be race or religion, white is always evil, black or muslim never are wrong and always do good.

youre so arrogant with your words and dismissive of anyone not like you everytime i see you post.

criminal acts shouldnt be excused whatever the reason may be for it being commited or what religion they believe.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Good post Glee.

Variable

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
back to the story..
I would love to know what kind of evidence they have, they only say bomb related evidence, what did he really do? I wonder if he was in Spain at the time of the bombings? What kind of stuff would have his fingerprints on it? lawyer - paperwork?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
back to the story..
I would love to know what kind of evidence they have, they only say bomb related evidence, what did he really do? I wonder if he was in Spain at the time of the bombings? What kind of stuff would have his fingerprints on it? lawyer - paperwork?

It'd be nice to know some details. Just because he's been arrested doesn't mean he's guilty of anything. Even fingerprints on paperwork doesn't necessarily indicate he's guilty of anything.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
FOX is reporting fingerprints on a bag found at the site of the bombing in Spain. He is being held as a material witness. He is also connected to the Portland 7.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
My problem with the press is they make it sound like people who are arrested are guilty before the judicial process ever begins. The man is being held as a material witness. He has not been accused of a crime.

The fact that he acted as an attorney for a fellow Muslim and tried to keep the man's child in a Muslim household is unsurprising. Replace the word Muslim in the previous sentence with Catholic. That happens too. Not very ominous sounding, in my opinion.

The fingerprint on the plastic bag does sound bad. But we don't know what plastic bag, or what it contained. We don't know where it came from. I can think of a dozen ways a plastic bag with my fingerprint could have made its way to a muslim in spain.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by glee

Hey, Illmatic67,

if the guy converted to Islam, he converted to Islam. Fanatics doing things in the name of religion aren't confined to Islam, though. Look at the IRA and UDL. Don't reflect well on the Catholics or the Protestants. Or the Hindus who burnt Muslims alive last year. Just as bad.

These terrorists do what they do in the name of religion. They make religion an issue; they make religion the underlying reason for all they do. An intelligent person knows that they are fanatics, and their views don't necessarily reflect those of most of the people in their religious community. But to criticize the press for reporting this kind of fact is ridiculous.

Are you saying there are non-Muslims involved in Al Queda? That would be a very interesting thing to find out.

Well, I'm sure the weapon merchants and money men who supply Al Queda are of all faiths and no faith.

Islam has been a proselytizing relgion, as well. It had its own violent expansion periods. Ask the Coptics in Egypt, the Greek Orthodox in Constantinople. St. Sophia was a church before it ever was a mosque.

Heck, even Buddhists have been known to pursue violent proselytizing.

Yep, I'd say most religions have had and continue to have their violent crusades. Crusades suck.

You going around accusing innocent people of letting the media mold their minds into Christian Crusaders isn't helping the cause of Islam in the least. It reeks of radical, undiscriminating thought. And all that does is remind your audience of the stupid violent radicalism of a hand-full of renegade Muslim terrorists or perhaps we should call them Muslim Crusaders.

My husband and I owned a very small company that was destroyed by the terrorist acts on 9/11. We had 11 employees. Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Christians. Asian, African, Native American, White. Our African Muslim employee got nothing but support from all of us. We had to lay off every employee, but one. My husband and I struggled for two years after the company went under, keeping our Muslim employee on the payroll even when we had to borrow money to pay him. We did this so he could stay in America and support his family here and back in Africa. He was eventually able to find another job, but we are still friends. We visit, share holidays, share hopes.

Is it through ignorance that you insult me and the many, many Americans like me who have made real sacrifices to support our Muslim friends and neighbors during this terrible time? Or are you trying to make the situation worse? If you are Muslim, you are suppose to be a man of peace. My Muslim friend would NEVER make this kind of inflamatory statement. I'm glad that I got my insights about Islam from him, because he stands for everything measured, tolerant, kind, peaceful and wise.

You share holidays? I wonder how much of what you said was actually true because a Muslim doesn't share any holidays unless you are a Muslim?

That fact of the matter is that the media is shaping people's minds, period. I'm sorry you don't understand that because I wouldn't have to be here trying to tell you this.

Prior to 9-11, how many people knew about Islam?
Prior to 9-11, how many people knew the Middle East existed?

Prior to 9-11, how many people knew about Osama?

People didn't start speaking out against Islam until 9-11 came and whatever the media said, they followed.

And I'm sorry but I don't care if I insulted you. You only think my posts are ignorant because you don't agree with them.

And if you aren't a Muslim then you really can't speak on this issue can you?

And you helping your African Muslim friend proves my point exactly. Why should he need special assistance? Why did you keep him instead of the Asian or the Native American? I know why, because he was MUSLIM and because of 9-11 and the media, Muslims everywhere were being targeted.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Illmatic67]

Q

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Quit trying to pass this off as another 'hate attack'. If the guy's prints are found on a bomb-bag, and he has proven contacts with other convicted terrorists, why is it so much a stretch of imagination to think he might just have had something to do with it?

Why is there such a connection made between terrorism and the Muslim religion? Because there is a connection. All the 9-11 conspirators? Muslims. 90% of all terrorists caught or fought in this war? Muslims. When we get a message from the terrorist leadership, do they quote Bhudda? No, OBL and the boys love interspersing Koranic verses in with their rantings. Who has been jumping up and down threatening America at every turn for the past 30 years? You guessed it--Muslim extremists. Paint it whatever color you like, this is the undisputable truth.

That is not to say that all Muslims are terrorists, or evil in any way. Most, like glee's friend, are just normal people like everyone else. I can understand their trying to help the man after 9-11. What kind of job prospects do you think he had, with everyone looking over their shoulders for Muslim terrorists? They did what any good friend would do--they did all they could to help the man, because he was their friend! That is what being an American is all about.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You share holidays? I wonder how much of what you said was actually true because a Muslim doesn't share any holidays unless you are a Muslim?

I am an honest person, Illmatic67. I have never lied in an online post. I mean never. I see no need to. I didn't say we share holy days, I said we share holidays. In the US, holidays can be secular, like Labor Day. He is an observant Muslim and a very good man. He spent his savings last year (and we helped a bit) so his very aged mom in Africa could have her life's desire and go on haij before she died.

That fact of the matter is that the media is shaping people's minds, period. I'm sorry you don't understand that because I wouldn't have to be here trying to tell you this.

This is a good point for discussion. Certainly the media has the potential to shape our opinions. It's an important problem. Too important to start a discussion about it with accusations instead of inquiries. You seem to know what media is shaping my opinions. Tell me, what media is shaping yours?

Prior to 9-11, how many people knew about Islam?

Other than Muslims? Hundreds of millions of people, probably billions of people, including myself. In Western Civ in college we learned about the Moors and the debt Western Civilization owes to them. The oldest copy of Josephus in the world is a 10th century Arabian copy, for instance.

In business, I have worked with Muslims for decades. So have many Westerners. Muslims study in American universities, work in American businesses, employ non-Muslim Americans in their businesses, speak at American conferences, work in the American Space program. Islam didn't appear in the West on 9/11. It's been around a long time.

Prior to 9-11, how many people knew the Middle East existed?

Again, it has been in the news on a regular basis as long as I can remember. Which is back to the early 60's. I studied it in grade school geography. So my guess is, again, hundreds of millions of people, at least. You must be too young to remember back to the 60's.

Prior to 9-11, how many people knew about Osama?

Again, Osama has been in the news before. Are you implying Osama is a good Muslim? Are you implying he is someone we should give attention, credibility, or regard to? Should the non-Islamic world consider Osama their instructor in Islam? He is a terrorist. He uses the lives of religious young men as weapons and murders indiscriminately. The most important Imams in Islam have publicly disowned him and his movement. I personally cannot give him my endorsement as Defender of Islam. But then, I wouldn't give Bush my endorsement as Defender of Christ, either.

People didn't start speaking out against Islam until 9-11 came and whatever the media said, they followed.

If you consider the media report in question to be "speaking out against Islam", I have to agree with you. When there were no terrorists who slaughtered innocents in the name of Islam, no one mentioned Islamic terrorists. But Islam has had its critics in the rest of the world for some time. Did you ever pay attentions to the criticisms others had of Islam, before 9/11?

People in the US have a variety of opinions concerning the Middle East, Islam, and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. You might want to ask us what we think about these things. This forum would be an excellent opportunity for you to find out what we all feel, without having the media get in the middle.

And I'm sorry but I don't care if I insulted you. You only think my posts are ignorant because you don't agree with them.

I care if I insulted you, though. I certainly didn't mean to, and it sounds like I did. I'm truly sorry, if that is the case. So let me make myself clear. I didn't say I thought your posts were ignorant. I asked you if you were making false accusations out of ignorance. That is a very different matter. Was I mistaken to believe that you weren't so impolite as to insult strangers on purpose for no proven offense? The Muslims I have met have been very polite people of good will; as I assumed you might be Muslim, that is what I expected of you, too.

And if you aren't a Muslim then you really can't speak on this issue can you?

Why not? Please explain why I have to be Muslim to respond to your comments? I assure you that you do not have to be Muslim to respond to mine. In fact, in this thread, you have said nothing which definately identifies you as Muslim.

And you helping your African Muslim friend proves my point exactly. Why should he need special assistance? Why did you keep him instead of the Asian or the Native American? I know why, because he was MUSLIM and because of 9-11 and the media, Muslims everywhere were being targeted.
[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Illmatic67]

You are mistaken. We had to help our African Muslim friend because he was here on a work visa, and, since 9/11 threw this country into a serious recesssion, if he had lost his job with us, he would have lost his visa. He would have lost it if he had been Hindu, Christian, or an Atheist. Of the other 4 employees who had the same position with us as he did, only 1 has been able to find fulltime employment.

Where we live, no one has targeted Muslims. Our friend has never been threatened, his family has never been threatened, no one at his mosque, of which he is a very active member, has ever been threatened. And I want you to notice that he has found a job when other non-Muslim employees with similar qualifications have not. Doesn't sound like targeting to me.

I'm not saying Muslims aren't targeted. I am saying don't assume it is happening to all Muslims everywhere, or even most Muslims.

Illmatic67, why assume your audience are all unintelligent people who have no idea of how media can influence their opinions? Why assume that we are all Christians, for that matter? If you feel Islam is under attack, then your best course would be to defend it with logic, tolerance, and dignity.

People take offense at what you say, because you use the same tactics you fault the press for. People shouldn't suspect Muslims simply because they are Muslim. You shouldn't suspect the members of this forum, simply because most of them speak native English. You shouldn't suspect Christians simply because they are Christian. Don't be what you hate, Illmatic67; don't copy the methods you condemn.

I don't think you are ignorant. I think you have interesting and useful things to say. And I think you are capable of presenting your arguments in a logical way. Talk to the people on this board as though you believe they are good people, with a good will. If you do that, then people will listen to you with a good will. And I'll listen to you with a good will, anyway, because you cared enough about my response to answer it.

As my friend would say, inshallah.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
That is not to say that all Muslims are terrorists, or evil in any way. Most, like glee's friend, are just normal people like everyone else. I can understand their trying to help the man after 9-11. What kind of job prospects do you think he had, with everyone looking over their shoulders for Muslim terrorists? They did what any good friend would do--they did all they could to help the man, because he was their friend! That is what being an American is all about.

Thank you, Q.

It is what I was brought up to believe being American is about. Sure isn't how we look to the rest of the world, right now, though.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Mayfield has been released:

MSNBC:Federal authorities Thursday released an Oregon lawyer held in connection with the Madrid terror bombings after Spanish police said that fingerprints on a bag containing detonators like those used in the bombing were not his.

new topics

top topics

join