It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terra Australis (Atlantis) - conclusive evidence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Terra Australis (Atlantis) - conclusive evidence?

www.riaanbooysen.com

I have earlier presented my theory that Terra Australis Incognita was Plato's Atlantis. I have now added what I believe to be conclusive proof of this theory [ www.riaanbooysen.com... ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It is shown that Terra Australis systematically became flooded over thousands of years: Schoner 1520 map - all above sea level, Vatican map of 1530 - ring-shaped, central plateau flooded, Schoner 1515 map - Patalis Regio flooded as well, leaving a C-shaped Terra Australis. The latter map corresponds remarkably well with the sea floor of Australia and New Zealand, as do the mountains and central mage-lake on the Schoner map.

Would love to hear what you think of this!

www.riaanbooysen.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Interesting.....Will read more later as I just skimmed over to see what it was all about....

Looking forward to hearing what others think too..

Nice post . I starred and flagged it because well nobody had yet and I'm curious to this theory as I've never heard it before....surprisingly .

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hmmm, I'm not sure that promoting your own website as 'breaking news' (which it isn't) is permitted?

Maybe the mods could move this to Ancient Civilisations?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Seems to me that you're suggesting a) Terra Australis is Australia (not Antarctica) and b) that Australia has been partially submerged in recent geological times.

Do you have any geological data to support this? My understanding is that all such data clearly indicates the opposite?

(There's an interesting side issue on whether ancient map-makers depicted Australia before it was 'officially' discovered)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Where is archeological data? If it was as powerful civilization as it is described by Greek historian citing Egyptian monks - then it could not simply vanish even with massive flooding. And by the way - there are places in Australia with prehistorical remains and drawings lying openly in the desert. Was flooding of Atlantis before dinosaurs or even prehistorical man?
On more general note - Plato also states that Athens waged war with Atlantis. Greek naval technology is pretty well known. One cannot use galley and raid Australian shores.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Hi Andy,

Apologies - ignorance on my side - it was indeed intended to be listed on the Ancient Civilization site - somehow ended up here. Is there a way in which this can be moved to the proper location?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Riaan

I've sent a message to the mods - I'm sure they'll move it in due course

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Andy (Essan?), I have not shown the complete map of Schoner - Terra Australis is actually C-shaped, and Australia would merely form the one tip of it (see Fig 1.6 in my text and Fig 1.9 shown here). I do not know about the archeological evidence - my theory is based on ancient myths and legends, the medieval maps and the general correlation between the Terra Australis maps and the sea bed in the South Pole region. Coincidence?

On the topic of a personal website, I have no idea how to discuss my theory with others other than to direct them (you) to my website. The volume of material is simply too much show here - I have effectively published an online book, for the very purpose of obtaining feedback from interested parties. Can you suggest an alternative or more appropriate way of discussing this on your forum?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Very interesting thread.

This might be of interest to you:

www.abc.net.au...

Check out the image in more detail, bears a striking resemblance to your maps from 1500's. (Schoner and the Vatican map)

I read your "book" rather fast, mostly skimming for keywords and I am not sure if you made this exact connection or not, but I thought I'd mention this anyway

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Interesting reading with lots to think about. I've flagged this thread because of the amount of new ideas it presents and the work put into it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Plato did say the ancient Atlanteans did fight wars with the Greeks, now if they were located in the Atlantic, say somewhere in the vicinity of the Azores, it's not inconceivable ancient mariners could navigate their way across the Med to the Greek isles - indeed, they'd never have to leave sight of shore. But for ancient mariners to navigate the length and breadth of the Atlantic from as far as Australia (or thereabouts) would seem completely beyond their skills. Navigating open ocean is far from clinging to shore lines. Ancient Norsemen made their way to the Americas by those means.

Plato said these Atlanteans fought many wars with the Greeks, that to me would indicate the Atlanteans were on par with the Greeks in terms of technology. If they were much more advanced, then it wouldn't really have been a war so much as a one-sided slaughter. For this reason, I consider Atlantis (if it ever existed) to be an early civilization, but not a super advanced one.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilyariel

Thanks, this map is indeed fascinating! Apart from the ocean in the centre, I do not think it correlates well with the Schoner 1515 map. What it certainly does suggest is that a mega-lake could have existed for millions of years in the centre of Australia, as suggested by Figures 1.9, 1.13 and 1.17 in my Proof of Theory section!

Following my original posting, it was elsewhere quickly pointed out to me that the ice cap of Antarctica is most likely 700 000 years old, which appeared to contradict my theory. I have since done a significant bit of reading and interpretation and have added sections 1.06 (Ice Core Data), 1.07 (Mythical Frisland - hidden underneath the waves?) and 1.08 (Mapping of Hudson Bay before its discovery). If you have not read this, please do so and let me know what you think.

Terra Australis and the Ice Core Data
www.riaanbooysen.com...

Frisland under the waves
www.riaanbooysen.com...

The pre-Hudson mapping of Hudson Bay
www.riaanbooysen.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Riaan

Howdy Riaan

I checked out the Friesland link only some of your map comparative markers, in this case 'S' don't seem to show up. At least I cannot find them.

If you are wondering if they were above water in recent time I would suggest you find the sediment studies done on these points.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
i have always suspected Antarctica of being the lost atlantis

this is quite interesting

new zealand is extremely hilly, and i believe its obvious most of its great land is now beneath water and what remains is just the tops of the mountain ranges, and youve got many islands all around new zealand which are quite volcanic. i have also suspected that the middle of australia was once a giant lake of some sort. there is so much desert out there which is virtually uninhabited.

could it really change that much in 500 years?

are you able to briefly describe your most interesting findings? there is so much to read

S&F,

[edit on 20/9/09 by dallas18]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I didn't read through the whole thing but from what I gather it looks as though you are trying to point out that the southern plate Australia and Antarctica are on are what is left of the sunken Atlantis? That's a very plausible theory that I haven't heard before. I'll have to find the time to read this more in detail.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by antithesis.]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Hi Hanslule, Island S appears right at the bottom of Figure 1.51. If it does not show on your browser, you may download the hi-res image here www.riaanbooysen.com...

Island S is shown on the modern map in Figure 1.54

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Hi Dallas18,

Thanks for the positive feedback! It is difficult to summarize the most significant findings at this stage. My biggest problem is to convince skeptics that a civilization existed thousands of years ago (when the sea level was that low) who had the ability to map the world.

Hopefully within the next couple of days I will publish an update that shows that Mercator's map of the east coast of Brazil and of the Caribbean depict islands and plateaus that are below sea level today.

WIll let you know when it's up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join