It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crashed UFO on Mercury???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

if you look at one of my posts above i link to the 2009 flyby of messenger and also a site that lists many findings etc about mercury

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Wow great stuff. At first i had my skeptic hat on as the image was so dark in that area i thought it was odviously a poor photo hack.
I must say though this does look interesting

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia

if you look at one of my posts above i link to the 2009 flyby of messenger and also a site that lists many findings etc about mercury

Hiya, I looked at your links and still wondering about the area of Mercury that the object image and adjacent image were taken from? I've read the catalog pages and can't see a reference e.g. Renoir, Bach etc.

I'm curious to see more surrounding areas to see if there's anything similar. By looking at the Mariner images, I was hoping to see older images of the same area. Looking at the Mariner images...there are a lot more craters with central peaks and impactor debris than are seen on the Moon. This is, in part, due to the different topography and surface geology....

Whatever, so far there's nothing like the OP image. The 'darker materials' look nothing like it. The craters with debris look nothing like it either. I've looked for 'iron meteorite' crater images...none look like the OP image.

The darn thing remains mysterious, but it's always a pleasure looking into such things because of what you find while looking...this image of Saturn's Hyperion was interesting to learn about

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Whats weirder is that if you look behind it

It looks like it had crashed then kinda of ran up and somehow tilted on to it side and stayed in the rock

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fraz100

Yup, there are several oddities going on in this picture that we can only try our best to explain.

I am currently trying to work out how to measure and present the curvature of the object.. it looks way too precise both on its outer edge and on the inner lip..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Eheheh!
This is a great find

What is it? This is the question, the UNANSWERED one

This is the most interesting image i've been seeing since long time. A very good find, a really anomalous image, a rare gem: no matter if it will turn out to be something different from a crash caused by the intervention of some extraterrestrial life form: this is something that needs to be explained. Kudos to the OP.

Thank you very much indeed internos.
Your words mean a lot.

Do you have any way to measure the curve of that object.. it looks very precise. Need the inner and outer curve measured.

Also if someone is good at math, we might be able to work out the full size of the object if it is a complete circle.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

i thought it was nothing till i seen the big picture.. it looks soo out of place! it even seems to have a path in the ground that it took to end up where it did. (or its what ejected when it hit).

would be intresting to know if theirs other pics of this area with the light different, i think thats a long shot though, i never knew their was shots of mercury

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

This is an anhancement that i've made, but keep in mind that this is a RESAMPLE so basically it's just a CGI that should show better what we see, but not preserving 100 % the original appearance of the object.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/64606012298bdd4f.png[/atsimg]

I would think that it's more likely that the object was alreay there before the impact that created the major crater: there are no indications of impact consistent with the object, the angle of impact would be very low but i see NOTHING suggesting any impact (but the resolution of the image is extremely poor).
]

[edit on 8/7/2009 by internos]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Good stuff.

I too am looking further into this. Found some neat Mercury images last night and will continue to look for more so we can pinpoint this exact area and try to learn more about it.

This link is a Planetary Map of Mercury and this one is Another Shot from Messenger

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Hiya Internos, good to see a puzzling OP arrive

The question of what the object is, is made more interesting by rotating the perspective. A 180 degree rotation makes it look much more like a low angled impactor. The angle (if this is what it was!) of the hole/ crater it's inside of would explain a slower velocity of impact that would create less debris. At this rotation, the 'impactor' appears like a misshapen pile of dark material....

Depending on the degree of rotation, the image strikes me as being an object projecting from the surface...a convex impactor site...or a black vault entrance. I favor an impactor, but we've got higher spec PCs at work to look at the image and adjacent images. If nobody else posts them...I'll post four rotated enlargements from the .tif later.

Are we still no closer to pointing a finger at a Mercury map and saying "That's where it is!?" It's possibly irrelevant, but it's good to form a bigger picture... I'm thinking about the underlying geology...the planet is low on crust and high on iron content. It's possibly an exposed area of iron....

As I said earlier, it'll be good if this one remains a mystery and a keeper... probability usually gives explanations though

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

There are a couple of other things in this image that I will be highlighting later today. One of which might reveal either some surface erosion or has been caused by an impact.

I will try to obtain some materials to attempt an experiment to see if I can replicate what we are seeing. The experiment wont answer what the object is but it might help us understand what we're seeing.

Thinking logically, it seems a bit odd that any natural structure would survive the impact of a bigger object which caused the crater around this one.
There seems to be no other evidence to support the idea that this was unveiled by the impact of other objects. In other words, why do we have only one object like this in this entire 170 mile area. Can't even see anything similar in any of the other images everyone is posting or linking to.

The hunt for answers continues

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
After looking more carefully, i tend to believe that despite its location would suggest otherwise, what we see is not the central peak of the main crater:in my humble opinion, the key could be in the other images which, as mentioned in the caption of PIA11389, would shiow some similar features. It could be some block of iron that has been uncovered by the impact, not very different from a central peak as dynamic of formation, but technically not a central peak: i could be completely wrong, though

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Same to you....good work/ links! I've been trying to match craters from Messenger to the Mariner 10 and it's hard work. It's taking the shape a rare good thread. I'll probably miss the good stuff in the next few hours, but look forward to where it's going

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I did the same rotation of the pic last night too. It does tend to change the way it is perceived. This might be because we are used to seeing it as we do in the OP, then anything different doesn't make sense.

The important thing to remember is that there is no 'right way up'. North and south are man made and only give us a perception of position. We could all be living sideways.

It's odd that the darkest bits seem to be shadow, but they dont seem to fit into the actual lay of the land.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
It could be some block of iron that has been uncovered by the impact,

Which leads me back to something I said earlier.

What if it is a slab of iron that had been ejected from some other impact from another planet/s/impact, was flung into space with such force that it created a 'disc' like solidity and eventually did a 'soft' land into a part of Mercury's crust that was still molten or hardening. That is if this object is stood upright.

There is one thing that has got my attention on it, and that is the small white object at its tip. It seems to be highly reflective.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
So it would seem, but one person thinks not.
If it is not, then just what is it?

It seems to be protruding from the surface and has a lip running around its circular edge.

If this is not made by the hands of something, then what natural phenomenon could create something so large and with these particular definitions?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61cb8b7fb89a.jpg[/atsimg]
thisandthatat.blogspot.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
\
This doesnt look like a ship it looks like rocks.The ability of the human brain to make something out of nothing is amazing. And mercury is hot i dont think even aliens can survive there.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It looks like a big piece of charcoal to me.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well, I've been browsing some of the pics of Mercury from This Link as I have been trying to find ANY other object or crater that resembles the one in this thread.

As of this post I have not found another that is remotely similar.

All I have found is other objects and craters that may lead to an answer or just open up more questions.

From what I can see, it would appear that a lot of craters may have been formed at a time when Mercury was almost solid. So let's take a look at some of these 'later' craters.

1. This is two images of the same crater from the Rembrandt Impact Basin
Links to pics
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/100cb202ea67.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3423b3ced6de.png[/atsimg]
2. This image is The First Image After Closest Approach
Link
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d63017cfab3b.png[/atsimg]
Many craters share one thing that makes them all similar, may have formed around the same time and may show that Mercury was still hardening.

If you look at the centre of the craters you will see what appears to be a tower in the centre which is high enough for the Sun to hit it and create a shadow. We all know the image of water having stone dropped into it looks like.. We are familiar with the ripples and the splash in the centre.

Could it be that these towers were formed from 'almost solid' rock that was hit by an object, creating the splash (crater and tower) and just by chance, the rock was hard enough to stay in shape, or was Mercury once so cold that molten rock froze in position??? Could they have been formed on the dark side and froze before Mercury had time to revolve around to face the Sun again?

No matter how they were formed, they do not resemble our mystery object.

The Monuments;

This image is taken just North of the Rembrandt Crater images. What is odd about these is that they do not have any crater. They are just towers rising up from the surface... They also have an unusual shape, almost like Crystal growth... What are they? They are very tall.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca453d88783f.png[/atsimg]

Liquid Mercury ????
Just what is going on in this image?
We can see what is almost obviously and impact, with rays of ejecta spreading across the landscape. But what has been left behind on the surface of the impact crater? What are these white blobs? How have the 'rays' blended into the surface? Could they be impact 'stretch marks' just under the surface of Mercury or are they masses of dust and dirt that has fallen onto the surface? Were they formed from the material that made up the impact object, or are they made from a darker sub-soil?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f033959ec5d5.png[/atsimg]

I have been trying to find other craters/objects that resemble our mystery object, even by looking at images such as This One just to show that, even from extreme angles, we are not being fooled by our own optical failings.

I am still a long way from working out what our mystery object is, but we may have already worked that out.. It could very well be an object that is alien to Mercury and had struck it whilst the surface was soft, yet strong enough not to fold back in on itself (in order to create the towers in craters). We must also take into consideration the speed of impacting objects. Not all of them are going to be travelling at millions of miles an hour.. Until I am able to do more with our mystery object, here it is again but a bit closer

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1618de04888b.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Haha! I've been looking at the same images during the day! Also been reading up on anything that might point to a reasonable probable explanation. Fair enough, Nasa haven't worked out the dark materials, but it's interesting to look anyway. It beats waiting for Messenger to settle into it's orbit in a couple of years...

The more I look, the more it looks like a depression in the surface rather than an object sticking out. With that in mind, I've been reading about 'low reflectance areas' and their components. Also volcanic activity. Here's a couple of links that are informative even if they don't identify conclusively...

CENTRAL PEAKS I N MARTIAN CRATERS: COMPARISONS TO THE MOON AND
MERCURY
This is to see if there are any impact craters that could have a debris pile without causing noticeable craters or surrounding effects. Answer is no, there aren't.

Mercury's surface dominated by volcanic activity

Volcanism on Mercury: Evidence from the First MESSENGER Flyby

Volcanic Activity Shaped Mercury After All

Image of volcanic crater from above link

The above image seems to share similar features to your OP image, but is ultimately doubtful as a cause due to the lack of reflective material in surrounding crater (of the OP).

Reflectance and Color Variations on Mercury: Regolith Processes and Compositional Heterogeneity

If dark material is the explanation, it's worth looking to see what it could be made of...iron etc?

Hopefully not...but we could be waiting for the next fly-by at the earliest to really know what it is. Think of all those 'fossils on Mars' images that look utterly mundane from another angle or in different light conditions. Especially the 'face on Mars.' One image can be wholly misleading.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Mercury is turning out to be something rather amazing.

It seems to be mostly as seen in this Stunning Photo, A vast expanse of an almost entirely smooth surface, pockmarked and cratered through no fault of its own.

Then, as we see in my last post, we find many anomalies that seem to defy logic.
Whilst searching for further evidence, I came across this crater as seen in this pic, Here
We see the apparently normal central tower in the centre of the crater, but in this one we see something else new.

What are those two long tube like structures above the tower??
One seems to be actually above the surface ???
They resemble the shape of a submarine if you are having difficulty in seeing what I am pointing out.

They don't fit into the terrain of the crater. If they were uncovered by the explosive impact, then what are they made of to survive such a deep, powerful blast? There is nothing else to suggest they are part of the sub-soil or structure of rock.

Mercury is giving us some amazing questions to answer.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada882c8aabe.png[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join