It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crashed UFO on Mercury???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So it would seem, but one person thinks not.
If it is not, then just what is it?

It seems to be protruding from the surface and has a lip running around its circular edge.

If this is not made by the hands of something, then what natural phenomenon could create something so large and with these particular definitions?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61cb8b7fb89a.jpg[/atsimg]
thisandthatat.blogspot.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Pretty interesting!
Your small picture does'nt really do it justice,but when you view it with the larger background,as in the link,it certainly seems somewhat anomalous,and totally different from anything else in the surrounding terrain!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That is a pretty cool pic, where did you find it? Whatever it is, i like it and it is better that 99 percent of the ruins of Mars pics. It is prety clear and i do not need a comparison photo and i do not have to try to see it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
thats interesting,it looks like something sticking out of the ground,if you turn the picture the other way you could say it's a rock.
it looks out of place to me,sort of shouldn't be there.
nice find

[edit on 7-7-2009 by rhynouk]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes it is rather odd how you need to go to the original picture to see the entire photo rather than having to zoom in as much as possible before losing everything to pixels.

I didn't post the main pic as it is just too big if you click the pic in the link. So I just cropped a bit of it

I was wondering if it is an optical illusion of a crater, but where is the other half of the crater?
Pondering over a cliff edge perhaps, but still does not explain the curve or the lip.
There even seems to be something circular in its centre (just before the shadow covers it up and the ground swallows the rest).

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

Click on the link below the picture.. and then you can also click on the picture in the page the link leads to..
hope that gives you a wider angle on it

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Looks like a bad quality picture showing a crater to me, the shadowing gives the appearance of a roundness when actually it is just a depression. That is my opinion anyways.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
nice pictures could be a rock or a meteor thats hit it, seems a darker color than the surrounding area so could presume that its something that hit the surface

or as above poster stated could be an optical illusion made by the shadows etc

but definatly looks like an object

[edit on 123131p://150712 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, to me it looks like the object that created the larger crater around the outside of it, not saying it isnt maybe a craft, but looks like it could just as easily be a rock thats been melted from mind bending heat levels lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
After looking at it a while have to agree it's either a crater or the actual object that impacted the area.

Interesting though it almost appears as if it's a crater standing on it's side although that would not appear possible because there appears to be virtually no vertical land mass behind it. But if you mess with the brightness and contrast it actually does look like a crater standing on it's side kind of cool. Geesh where's the 3-d technology when you really need it lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Demonis

There is that possibility and we have to do our best to find out exactly what it is..

What kind of object can create such a crater yet still leave half of itself behind?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

meteor seems a plausible explanation to me, or a stray satellite?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I found the source for the photo - "PIA11389: A Patch of Black" - and this is the caption released with the image:

The crater in the lower right-hand corner of this image has a patch of very dark material located near its center. The region of this image has been seen only with the Sun high overhead in the sky. Such lighting conditions are good for recognizing color differences of rocks but not well suited for ascertaining the topography of surface features from shadows. The shape of the surface in this area is difficult to resolve given the lighting angle, but the dark patch is not in shadow. Dark surfaces have also been seen on other regions of Mercury, including this dark halo imaged during the second Mercury flyby (PIA11357) and near such named craters as Nawahi, Atget, and Basho seen during MESSENGER's first Mercury encounter. The example here is particularly striking, however, and from this NAC image the material may appear even darker than in other example areas. The dark color is likely due to rocks that have a different mineralogical composition from that of the surrounding surface. Understanding why these patches of dark rocks are found on Mercury's surface is a question of interest to the MESSENGER Science Team. The right edge of the image here aligns with this previously released NAC image (see PIA11763), where other dark surface material, as well as patches of light-colored rocks, can be seen.

Full-res tif/jpg image can be found here:
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Plausible... maybe.. but what would this meteorite be made of? And what satellite could it be.. This thing is huge to appear on the surface as it does.
Have you seen the full picture in the link?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here is a copy from the original. I have to say, I have looked at a ton of moon and mars anomalies but none are as clear and nice as this one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/812791601805.jpg[/atsimg]

If you look at the surrounding terrain, this definitely looks out of place.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
There is that possibility and we have to do our best to find out exactly what it is..

We'll get right on that! Right after we check out every other strange shaped mound, crater, canyon and shadow on all the other planets and moons in the Solar System.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

yea i looked at both was just throwing some ideas out there, the composite seems interesting looks almost metallic but then again that could be down to the lighting and shadows, definitely interesting though be good to know exactly what it is

[edit on 123131p://370712 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunnygirl

If "A Patch of Black" is the best that NASA can come up with then they are really in trouble.

In just a few short posts, we, on ATS, have determined it is more than just a patch of black.

We have considered it could be various things already, but none of which explain its apparent ability to stand clear of the surface, be as curved as it is, have a curved lip, be all on its own in an area that does not have much more than dust.. and a few other things..

The optical image this is giving is confusing enough. The actual item itself almost defies the imagination and rational thinking.

I wonder, if someone was able to, how much of a curve that is? Is the curve exact? ie, is it a steady continuous curve as would be expected from a complete circle.. a shape such as the moon or a disc..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I think it is probably a crater from a meteor that hit a mound sideways, the real black patch we see is likely melted rock. The rest is shadows, in my opinion this is not anything alien related.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
nah, it's definately a natural formation.

it it were a case of drunken flying we'd see bar b cue pits and lots of beer bottles lying around. let's just wait and see if teh tow truck comes by and then we'll know where it's headed. i'm guessing it's from canada.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join