It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Watch Thread!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
it seems the x ray flux is creeping up again

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Trunkeight

please no arguing on this thread, this thread is for knowledge, not bickering

thank you

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2

thank you

I concur.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Then if a fool is made of me, it will be an experience I will learn from and adapt to; otherwise, until I've had the experience, I'm going to stick to it. Not once so far in my life have any of these doomsday threads on the Internet been correct, so until one is, I will respond in the same manner I respond to every doomsday thread.

I guess you have a point about me targeting questioningall, though. It's not just her making these doomsday threads, but she just seems to be the most prominent one here on ATS. You can't deny that.

Originally posted by Free4Ever2

thank you

I agree, let's move off this trifle nonsense and get back to what matters.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

The Bow Shock in front of a planetary magnetosphere, or other magnetic object in the solar wind, is very similar to the bow wave of a boat as the bow of the ship passes through the water. It is similar to the wave in front of a rock in a stream. A plane traveling at supersonic speeds also produces a bow shock in the air in front of the plane, while it is flying. The bow shock helps force the solar wind to go around the magnetosphere or ionosphere. Source

A planetary magnetosphere is different from an ordinary dipole. The force of the solar wind, coming from the sun stretches the dipole and creates a nose region in the front of the magnetosphere (facing the sun), and a tail region in the back called a magnetotail. If it weren't for the solar wind, the field lines of the planetary magnetic field would extend into infinity. But because the solar wind and IMF press upon a planet's magnetic field, and enclose it, the magnetic field is contained within a "cavity" called the magnetosphere. This magnetosphere naturally has a boundary and that boundary is called the magnetopause. The magnetopause can be considered to be the end of a planet's region of influence. source

Probs best to click on the source to see the image files. Hope it helps the site has been very useful to me.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAgain

Thanks for the help, but I understand generally what the magnetosphere is, to rephrase, I'm not sure what the variances in the bowshock mean..

I've noticed a tightening of field lines generally occurs well before any proton flux reaches it, my questions now are:

Can we predict the intensity/type of a storm by the shape of the bow shock very soon before the actual event reaches the magnetosphere?

I think we can.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAgain

WOW that is an amazing site filled with page after page of information, it will take a while to get through it all
but itll be worth it
thanks again

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
i dont know if this was posted, but here is a link to live solar wind and magnetosphere in a dial form like a spedometer in a car..seems easier to understand, for me anyways!

dials

[edit on 7-7-2009 by onpoint]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

i think with enough studying we can my friend, i can see another sleepless night for now
but im not fussed, got the day off work tommorow so i can sleep in
gonna get reading up on that site NotAgain posted, its very useful

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by onpoint

Here you go pal

Link

link   
reply to post by onpoint

theres no link there my friend !

link   
I just had an epiphany..

"When the sun goes down!"

One of my favorite songs. That's when I start to get going. Go to work, or party.. I enjoy the night. I love the night.

Hell, I own the night!

What if being a ¨night person¨ is due an increased susceptibility to solar energy ... it´d explain why I feel so much clearer and relaxed now the the sun almost below the horizon..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

you know, that acutally makes sense to me
i find myself more clear headed at night time also. ive always been a light sleeper and preferred the night. feels safer to me for some reason

but as another song goes " The sun will come out tommorow, bet your bottom dollar that tommorow there will be sun " at least i think thats how it goes

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Then if a fool is made of me, it will be an experience I will learn from and adapt to; otherwise, until I've had the experience, I'm going to stick to it. Not once so far in my life have any of these doomsday threads on the Internet been correct, so until one is, I will respond in the same manner I respond to every doomsday thread.

I guess you have a point about me targeting questioningall, though. It's not just her making these doomsday threads, but she just seems to be the most prominent one here on ATS. You can't deny that.

I just wish people would stick to cross referencing information and debate and forget the derision.

AS for doomsday from this emerging solar event, humanities electronic gizmo's will be the first in line.

A tip: If it becomes apparent that the effects of this or any future CME-like event will hit our magnetosphere hard, and you have not prepared, to protect your small electonic devices (cell phones MP3 players etc), simply unplug your microwave oven, and place them on the cooking tray and close the door. The oven is a natural Faraday cage, and will provide a greater chance of protection than leaving them exposed.

peace.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I knew the healthy choice of not purchasing a microwave would come to bite me in the butt somehow..

$4/bag of smartfood often..

Maybe I need to reassess my nutritional stuff..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Prepared jointly by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA,
Space Weather Prediction Center and the U.S. Air Force.
Updated 2009 Jul 07 2201 UTC

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity
SDF Number 188 Issued at 2200Z on 07 Jul 2009

IA. Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 06/2100Z
to 07/2100Z: Solar activity was very low. No x-ray flares were
observed during the past 24 hours. Region 1024 (S27W39) continued
to decay and activity from the region was significantly reduced.
The remainder of the disk was quiet and stable.

IB. Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to remain
very low with a slight chance for an isolated C-flare from Region

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I was trying to find a pattern too

@ 2200 Xray flux started to rise to B1.2

Then @ 2217 bow pressure started to rise

When Xray flux went down @2350 The Bow Pressure also dropped @2410

I'm thinking the rise in Xray flux causes a rise in pressure on the bow resulting in the change of the magnetic field.

Still a lot to learn, got to start somehwere hey

[edit on 7-7-2009 by NotAgain]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hey great info! Notice the "flaring" of the sides? It gets longer, too.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The NOAA Space Weather Scales were introduced as a way to communicate to the general public the current and future space weather conditions and their possible effects on people and systems. Many of the SWPC products describe the space environment, but few have described the effects that can be experienced as the result of environmental disturbances. These scales will be useful to users of our products and those who are interested in space weather effects. The scales describe the environmental disturbances for three event types: geomagnetic storms, solar radiation storms, and radio blackouts. The scales have numbered levels, analogous to hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes that convey severity. They list possible effects at each level. They also show how often such events happen, and give a measure of the intensity of the physical causes.

NOAA Space Weather Scale for Geomagnetic Storms

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

i found this to be quite interesting

12-hour Boulder-NOAA Magnetometer Monitor
with 3-hourly K-Indices

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
im sure you guys have seen this. if you watch when this video of the sun when it hits july 6th it looks like it shot out a huge flare or am i taking that the wrong way?

it takes a couple mins to fully load.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join