It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Watch Thread!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
not really relevant.. but a large 6.2 earthquake just struck the north pole..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Actually, that's totally relevant.

All of the solar energy is directed into the poles, and there is a link between solar activity and seismicity..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Seems this is starting to get interesting. Since this thing seems to be effecting us (earthquake at north pole) what else should we be expecting?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ogund.3

Wow, has this happened before? I dont keep up on where earthquakes happen.

My god, someone save Santa!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogund.3
not really relevant.. but a large 6.2 earthquake just struck the north pole..

aha? please elaborate?...

2nd line

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Haha I knew someone would do this kind of thread. They are getting popular.

Please don't look directly at the sun though!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
twitter.com...

found the earthquake headline here.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Do they have anything to do with insomnia, because I sure cant sleep! It's driving me batty.

If there's something else you're stressed about or thinking about, it's probably that, not any solar flares.

Alternatively maybe you're thinking about it too much like that other guy and that's keeping you awake.

Or it could be x-rays frying your brain cells!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Just got done storming.

Now it's sunny and hot.

you know, like a typical SUMMER day

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
lol. Now we need a thread for the Sun and Earthquakes. Plus all this pressure talk is a few hours late. It fluxes on any given day with Cosmic Pressures. Maybe the "pressure" is from the B-Class Flares (normal) 2 days ago. Since it takes 2 days for the CME's/solar winds to reach us... And to clarifly the Earthquake was not in the North Pole but close. If Greenland is close. And is it magnetic north or true north?
Maybe we should start talking again about how magnetic north is in Russia now.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't get why people were expecting a huge (doomsday?) event and are now either disappointed or feel vindicated for saying "I told you so".

The very fact that this solar minimum ended right when a few crop formations said it would is enough to change my perception of them entirely. I feel the 'evidence' from the formations, such as the egg shaped 'earth' and the possible jellyfish/magnetosphere correlation, are the researchers' opinion. They may have simply been made to indicate "flare/sunspots" rather than "run for the hills" which all this hysteria and speculation has also fueled. We seem primed these days to expect the worst.

Granted, I've also watched a few videos that have helped to convince me these formations may be more than simply a group(s) of highly dedicated and talented individuals with alot of time on their hands. Nassim Haramein's 45 part youtube lecture, to name one, provided some good evidence of this.

So this begs the question....what is with this flare? Other than it being the end of the minimum, why would ETs bother telling us about a (so far) benign event? No one knows of course, but I have my theories.

-O

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Seems like ATS is not the only place interested in watching the sun -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8dff7047e04.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Bunk............This non-sense has to stop before a hand full of you guys cause someone to have a panic attack or worse...You guys know better there are people in here who can't think for them selves much less handle the fact that this is the natural operation of our planet...

I predict NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!How about that

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I got a feeling the next few hours are going to get intresting, however I don't think this is some doomsday event "Totally the opposite"

Keep an eye on the Pressure and Xray Flux, I will post anything I find.

Just gut instinct thats all

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAgain

lol yeah you post what you find and ill read it in the mornin, i aint doin what i did last night and sit up all night thinking about it
Gotta have my beauty sleep
and if the lights go out then i wont know
night night all xx

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
I got a feeling the next few hours are going to get intresting, however I don't think this is some doomsday event "Totally the opposite"

Keep an eye on the Pressure and Xray Flux, I will post anything I find.

Just gut instinct thats all

A wise choice, to listen to your gut instinct... Coupled of course with reason and logic.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Xray Flux @ B1.1

Source

Sorry now at B1.2

Edit: Now back down to A8.5

[edit on 7-7-2009 by NotAgain]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
So, what doomsday thread do you all think questioningall will make in the next couple of months? Major heat spell in October to kill millions? Swine Flu breakout on Thanksgiving due to undercooked turkeys? Perhaps a webbot reborn thread on Christmas? Oh, the stressful possibilities.

I figured nothing substantial would happen today (although fans of Michael Jackson would disagree). I was starting to lean a little toward it until I learned of the crop circle that took three days to complete. I could maybe understand two days, but after that, there should have been security and watchful people all over that place. These doomsday threads really get blown out of proportion.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
How does solar flare = doomsday. It was never a doomsday prediction. Jeesus why dont you people understand.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The Sun is flinging 1 million tons of matter out into space every second! We call this material solar wind. Once the solar wind is blown into space, the particles travel at supersonic speeds of 200-800 km/sec! These particles travel all the way past Pluto and do not slow down until they reach the termination shock within the heliosphere. The Heliosphere is the entire region of space influenced by the Sun.

The solar wind plasma is very thin. Near the Earth, the plasma is only about 6 particles per cubic centimeter. So, even though the wind travels SUPER fast, it wouldn't even ruffle your hair if you were to stand in it because it's so thin! But, it is responsible for such unusual things as:

* auroral lights
* fueling magnetospheric storms
* forming a planet's magnetosphere

The particles of the solar wind, and the Sun's magnetic field (IMF) are stuck together, therefore the solar wind carries the IMF (interplanetary magnetic field) with it into space.

Instruments like SWICS and SWOOPS onboard the Ulysses probe are studying solar wind. They are hoping to make a 3-D map of solar wind characteristics throughout the heliosphere.

Source

Really good webby

Windows to the Universe is a user-friendly learning system covering the Earth and Space sciences for use by the general public. Windows to the Universe has been in development since 1995. Our goal is to build an internet site that includes a rich array of documents, including images, movies, animations, and data sets, that explore the Earth and Space sciences and the historical and cultural ties between science, exploration, and the human experience. Our site is appropriate for use in libraries, museums, schools, homes, and the workplace. Students and teachers may find the site especially helpful in their studying (and teaching!) Earth and Space sciences. Because we have users of all ages, the site is written in three reading levels approximating elementary, middle school and high school reading levels. These levels may be chosen by using the upper button bar of each page of the main site.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join