It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Sun Spot EVER found Today 7/7/09 - 60 to 80 times size of Earth!

page: 39
<< 36  37  38   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

No those other sites clearly stated it was the most activity in two years, so not completely usual in this period, however they didn't speak about CC's indeed.

Now Earthfiles is a different story with an article written by Linda Moulton Howe which those quotes are from, thats a website and a Author with an agenda. And it looks past the actual known science and steps in the world of personal interpretation, which proves nothing.

There were other scientists involved, but whatever.

A date was interpreted, the circles were clearly about solar activity at that date, there's hadn't been such activty for 2 years, yet something happened.

You'll just dicredit anyone that comes forth with this,

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Honestly i wont descredit anybody researching that, i will leave them be, i dont care. Im sure there are plenty others who can do that. I have no problem with the CC argument except that its in this thread at all.
Im sure you know my beef by now, i shouldnt have to repeat it.
This whole thread makes ATS look incredibly stupid, starting with the false title(which i know you agree with me on that part).
But i guess there is an elite group deemed untouchable here where hits and site traffic take preference to facts and common sense

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You're correct in what you said. However, I will point out that in various posts within this thread there is the question of whether or not there was any activity on the sun at all.

Further, the question of whether or not a flare was present was also in question.

This was not a major storm, nor I am saying it was. I am proving that in fact, according to all three sites, b-class and c-class flares were present.

If you read through the thread you will see numerous, rather derogatory, comments stating that there were no flares, and that this was an average sunspot.

I feel that I have shown both of the above statements to be true.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I definetly agree this is weird. I remember reading about the Jellyfish crop circle on here a few weeks ago and how it predicted the sun spot/solar flare, and when I logged on and seen it actually happened the day it was suppose to happen, struck me as pretty odd. Thanks for posting this! Its definetly something to think about.

And it reminds me of the movie I watched last night called "Knowing"

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
don't be too gullible now, original post was about a solar storm, not a sunspot. just another false prediction based on some silly crop drawing.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndCntrl2MjrTom
don't be too gullible now, original post was about a solar storm, not a sunspot.

The phenomena are interrelated, and besides, you are talking about one person's interpretation, a very simple and straightforward interpretation, that had correlations with real events. The formation itself didn't specify solar storm vs sunspot.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
May I remind you all that circles don't speak?

The interpretation of the sun's activity on July 7th, 2009 based on the "message" in the crop circle was provided by one researcher and reiterated, and enhanced with the OPs own opinions.

The funny thing is, I see all over this site about how Timewave Zero predicts things, and after the fact people say - "ohhh, Michael Jackson died, check the Timewave Zero -- oh yeah, must be accurate!" Same with Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce -- they only have to come wihtin a decade or at best a few years for people to decry "wow....they're amazing prophets!"

And yet, when a crop circle depicts an event on the sun, weeks ahead of time, for one particular day, and activity happens -- suddenly it's meaningless.

Do you have any idea that it is a fact that scientists know next to nothing about the sunspot cycle (the Mayans knew more) and have no way of predicting when a sunspot will appear nor can they say when a flare will appear. This is why NASA, spaceweather.com, etc all say that CME's are much more dangerous to the "health" of Earth than asteroids. Because we can see asteroids coming ahead of time and predict their orbit.

I find an incredible double-standard on this site, and frankly I find it rather mind-blowing. I can not for the life of me figure out why people even come to crop circle threads when they don't have any interest in them. I certainly don't go to all of the other threads that I personally find ridiculous (Michael Jackson's death conspiracy, the rehashing of Princess Di, etc) and post "you guys are dumb". "Give me a break" etc.

Just stay out of the threads you have no interest in and believe me, everyone will be happier.

That being said, you don't have to be a crop believer to participate. All opinions are interesting and provide for a lively discussion. But post after post that says nothing except the stupidity of the thread as a whole offers nothing to the discussion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Very well said. I agree and have said the same thing.

I find the relationship of all the sun's activity on the 7th with the CC that was actually 2 months ago - facinating! I still get the "eye roll" from my friends! But I don't mind.

I gave you a star for your post.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I have never believed the crop circles were man made in the first place. Some are - but the ones that are very intricate - I believe are messages from higher intelligence.

Right, even tho every crop circle from 1971 to 1991 was admittedly faked. Even tho NOTHING of significance happened when the crop circle 'said' it would. Even tho PEOPLE are making money off of it.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jprophet420

First of all, not ALL crop circles from '71 - '91 were proven to be faked. That is a gross exaggeration on your part.

Second, people find a way to make money off of anything and everything. Twin towers fell? Good, make a movie. Doesn't mean they made them fall. Swine flu? You need a designer mask that says "oinki!" Doesn't mean that they made the swine flu either.

One of the wonderful things about this world is that people have the ingenuity to profit off the worst tragedies and also the best successes that they should come upon.

People making movies about other people's lives makes them tons of money. In essence, they are taking moving pictures and charging a fee to watch it.

Taking pictures of crop circles and selling them is absolutely no different.

It does not mean that the people that make the movie caused the person to be interesting enough for a movie to be made about, not does it mean that people taking and selling pictures of crop circles make them either.

Lastly, didn't you ever wonder why when the images of crop circles are being sold all over the place that not one person has stepped forward to copyright the image?

If you are an artist, then you make more money by being the only person able to sell and distribute your work. Crop circle pictures and all of the other stuff that go with them are a free-for-all.

Makes you wonder why the artist wouldn't copyright his work. PS - you can copyright images under a pseudonym, so the argument regarding fear of reprisal from authorities doesn't apply.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

I find an incredible double-standard on this site, and frankly I find it rather mind-blowing. I can not for the life of me figure out why people even come to crop circle threads when they don't have any interest in them. I certainly don't go to all of the other threads that I personally find ridiculous (Michael Jackson's death conspiracy, the rehashing of Princess Di, etc) and post "you guys are dumb". "Give me a break" etc.

This is not a crop circle thread. Did you notice the title? This thread is about 1024 being the "largest sun spot ever". The OP threw in crop circles as an afterthought.

[edit on 7/11/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by jprophet420

First of all, not ALL crop circles from '71 - '91 were proven to be faked. That is a gross exaggeration on your part.

Second, people find a way to make money off of anything and everything. Twin towers fell? Good, make a movie. Doesn't mean they made them fall. Swine flu? You need a designer mask that says "oinki!" Doesn't mean that they made the swine flu either.

One of the wonderful things about this world is that people have the ingenuity to profit off the worst tragedies and also the best successes that they should come upon.

People making movies about other people's lives makes them tons of money. In essence, they are taking moving pictures and charging a fee to watch it.

Taking pictures of crop circles and selling them is absolutely no different.

It does not mean that the people that make the movie caused the person to be interesting enough for a movie to be made about, not does it mean that people taking and selling pictures of crop circles make them either.

Lastly, didn't you ever wonder why when the images of crop circles are being sold all over the place that not one person has stepped forward to copyright the image?

If you are an artist, then you make more money by being the only person able to sell and distribute your work. Crop circle pictures and all of the other stuff that go with them are a free-for-all.

Makes you wonder why the artist wouldn't copyright his work. PS - you can copyright images under a pseudonym, so the argument regarding fear of reprisal from authorities doesn't apply.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by lpowell0627]

Yeah.

Images John Montgomery Copyright 2009

www.cropcircleconnector.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

You know, i find an incredible double standard on this site too, this thread was not about CC's, it was about sunspots. How people can so willingly ignore that and turn it into something else is just amazing.
I also find double standards from those monitoring this thread, i know they have been alerted about the title, i know they have been asked to do something and i also know that they have been asked to explain why they feel this false thread should continue. But it falls on deaf ears, why? All many are asking is this threads title to be changed, then you can have your little CC thread. I know the OP wont change the title as she believes it to be true, fact is its not therefore with an unwillingness to change this thread becomes a HOAX thread, its really that simple.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, I actually had it backwards, but should have checked instead of stating what I did.

Still, what I find fascinating is that even you should know that we have no way to predict solar activity like this months in advance, yet you alongside some others keep trying to dismiss the fact that despite the erroneous interpretation that this activity was going to dramatically affect Earth, which it didn't, the fact does remain that this was predicted months in advance, and it is the most activity seen in two years.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Phage makes many claims, and i have responded to some of his claims in the past with facts that refute some of his past claims, which is why he is taking it personally.

Apart from that, this is the most activity in 2 years, and I gave a link to prove that, and it was predicted at least two or three months in advance, we can only make such a prediction within 36 hours, and even then there is a chance that nothing will happen.

But hey, people will believe no-matter what, even if evidence is presented that refutes their claims.

Oh and BTW... scientists have stated that the last time there was low Solar activity like it has been for the past two years was almost a century ago.

Several times scientists thought some sunspots in the past 3 years was part of the new cycle yet it wasn't... We do not know if this one is either...

See? Phage can, and has been wrong.

May 10, 2006: The Sun's Great Conveyor Belt has slowed to a record-low crawl, according to research by NASA solar physicist David Hathaway. "It's off the bottom of the charts," he says. "This has important repercussions for future solar activity."

The Great Conveyor Belt is a massive circulating current of fire (hot plasma) within the Sun. It has two branches, north and south, each taking about 40 years to perform one complete circuit. Researchers believe the turning of the belt controls the sunspot cycle, and that's why the slowdown is important.

Right: The sun's "Great Conveyor Belt" in profile.

"Normally, the conveyor belt moves about 1 meter per second—walking pace," says Hathaway. "That's how it has been since the late 19th century." In recent years, however, the belt has decelerated to 0.75 m/s in the north and 0.35 m/s in the south. "We've never seen speeds so low."

According to theory and observation, the speed of the belt foretells the intensity of sunspot activity ~20 years in the future. A slow belt means lower solar activity; a fast belt means stronger activity. The reasons for this are explained in the Science@NASA story Solar Storm Warning.

science.nasa.gov...

NASAIn 2004, NASA scientists started looking forward to a new solar minimum. In 2005, it began. At this time most scientists expected the new solar cycle 24 to begin in late 2006 or early 2007 with a following ramp up in solar activity.

But 2006 and 2007, according to NASA data, passed without any sign of a new solar cycle. During this time, the sun remained unusually quiet. Then, in early 2008, scientists finally found what they were waiting for -- a single
sunspot with a reversed magnetic polarity As a switch in magnetic polarity usually presages an increase in sunspot activity building up to a new solar maximum, scientists around the world proclaimed the new solar cycle had finally begun.

Now, nearly two months later, NASA observations show the sun is still unusually quiet. Day after day, the sun displays few, if any, sunspots. Even coronal holes are curiously absent. The long solar minimum now stretching into its third year coupled with curiously low solar activity even for a solar minimum is causing some scientists to speculate if the sun is entering a period of anemic activity like the most recent Dalton Minimum.

www.associatedcontent.com...

NASA has been concerned about the overall low level activity in the Sun.

How Low Can It Go? Sun Plunges into the Quietest Solar Minimum in a Century

The sunspot cycle is behaving a little like the stock market. Just when you think it has hit bottom, it goes even lower.

2008 was a bear. There were no sunspots observed on 266 of the year's 366 days (73 percent). To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go all the way back to 1913, which had 311 spotless days. Prompted by these numbers, some observers suggested that the solar cycle had hit bottom in 2008.

Maybe not. Sunspot counts for 2009 have dropped even lower. As of March 31st, there were no sunspots on 78 of the year's 90 days (87 percent).

It adds up to one inescapable conclusion: "We're experiencing a very deep solar minimum," says solar physicist Dean Pesnell of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

"This is the quietest sun we've seen in almost a century," agrees forecaster David Hathaway of NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 12-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

There also are some threads which moderators have been asked to stop about "All crop circles are man-made" and other threads by members claiming that there is no evidence whatsoever that corroborate any alien aircraft ever visiting Earth, et. But those threads remain despite the fact that such members, some who have posted several times in this thread, gave no evidence at all, and all they did was making CLAIMS.

I do agree that the title should be change however, I also hope threads such as the ones made by grapes (grapesofraft) are removed, yet they will not be removed even when all he does, and those members who sided with him, is claim there is no evidence whatsoever, dismissing any and every link and information given to them that refutes their unsuported claims.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Apart from that, this is the most activity in 2 years, and I gave a link to prove that, and it was predicted at least two or three months in advance, we can only make such a prediction within 36 hours, and even then there is a chance that nothing will happen.

Several times scientists thought some sunspots in the past 3 years was part of the new cycle yet it wasn't... We do not know if this one is either...

I've posted this info here already, but it's been lost in the shuffle.

Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Update released May 8, 2009
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

May 8, 2009 -- The Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel has reached a consensus decision on the prediction of the next solar cycle (Cycle 24). First, the panel has agreed that solar minimum occurred in December, 2008. This still qualifies as a prediction since the smoothed sunspot number is only valid through September, 2008. The panel has decided that the next solar cycle will be below average in intensity, with a maximum sunspot number of 90. Given the predicted date of solar minimum and the predicted maximum intensity, solar maximum is now expected to occur in May, 2013. Note, this is a consensus opinion, not a unanimous decision. A supermajority of the panel did agree to this prediction.

The sun's activity started to pick up again at the beginning of May. There is no debate - among scientists, anyway - about Solar Cycle 24 being underway.

See here:
spaceweather.com...

Daily Sun: 21 Apr 09
A new sunspot is forming at the circled location. The magnetic polarity of the spot identifies it as a member of new Solar Cycle 24. Credit: SOHO/MDI

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

There was no debate also among many scientists about the Sunspots in the past 2-3 years being part of the new cycle, yet they weren't. They were wrong every time it was claimed some sunspot was part of the new cycle.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Oh, and to back what I am saying here is some info.

The last reversal was around year 2000 and the writer eagerly awaits the next one at cycle 24 (C24) maximum. Based on past events this is due in 2011, but the start of C24 has been postponed again and again, and C24 spots that began emerging a year ago have, mysteriously, faded away. One question is, will the polarity reversal be postponed to the same extent as the new cycle, or even be postponed indefinitely?

www.sydneyobservatory.com.au...

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38   >>

join