It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Sun Spot EVER found Today 7/7/09 - 60 to 80 times size of Earth!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Very knowledgeable people teaching myself ( and others, I presume ) all sorts of things. Thank you.

One red flag, though : when a scientist ( the directer or spokesman for the Australian observatory mentioned in the OP ) refers to a phenomenon as being ' like hundreds of thousands of hydrogen bombs going off ' - instead of offering something more mature ( and- dare I say it ? ) and less inflammatory... the phrase MSM comes to mind, and ( pardon the acronyms ) TPTB.

Scared ? We will be wether we should be or not.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
Bit off topic...but if you don't mind me saying so Once Once, you appear to be throwing your weight around a bit, considering you've only been on this site for less than a month!

Your eyes deceive you.

I have been around far longer than a month. I just blend in very well.

On this account I registered 11-4-09

That is April 11 2009, and it is now July 7 2009. Less than a month????

Your (and others) incorrectness is the reason I get frustrated on this forum.

Some of these people you are attempting to both patronise and intellectually browbeat, have been on here a LOT longer, and are well known and considered around here i gather...

That means nothing to me. I don't care how long someone has been on the internet, nor how many friends they have.

you may be passionate in your views, but perhaps if you tried a less condecending and agressive style, you may win over more converts to your point of view, if that is your goal.

That is not my goal.

Either way...calling people outright liars etc...is (correct me if i'm wrong) against ATS T&C, so it may be a good idea to temper your tone somewhat.

The only people I call liars are the people I can prove are liars. If it is the truth, I don't see why it would be against the rules.

For example this topic title says, "The biggest sun spot EVER". Well that is a lie, so whoever wrote it is a liar.

Since your post wasn't removed, I was forced to reply off topic.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What is it with the Pressure it.s been up and down all day is it like waves hitting it ? can not Connect to soho seems to be down.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mer Ka Bah

Me too Mer Ka Bah...me too!

I know we are all fantastically clever and brilliant and passionate people here on ATS (natuarally..), but how about we all just try to cut out some of the heavy patronising that seems to have been around lately...Now then...this will be the last we speak of the subject...now go to your rooms you naughty boys and girls! Oops..sorry.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by Evasius

I have never believed the crop circles were man made in the first place. Some are - but the ones that are very intricate - I believe are messages from higher intelligence.

I find it quite ODD that the same day the messages were deciphered to be about - is the SAME DAY the LARGEST SUN SPOT EVER has been found!!

hhhhmmm..... makes you think - and take some things with more than just a grain of salt!

Yea that is odd,

What are the chances of that?

Perhaps you haven't read the rest of this thread -- The article linked in the OPs thread was just plain wrong, or probably even made up -- intentionally made-up by the author to coincide with the interest surrounding the crop circle story....and thus create hits on the article's author's website...and thus make him more money.

For the record: The largest sunspot ever has NOT been found. The article was wrong and/or an intentional lie. True -- there are sunspots today, but they are of the very typical variety and are very, very common.

And furthermore, the supposed "prediction" of that crop circle was for CMEs, and sunspots and CMEs are two totally different things.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well, I had hoped to stay out of this, but it is getting to a point where well, I just feel I must say something.

A few thoughts come to mind:

With respect to the crop circles:

Why is it that these crop circles are only showing up in the same relative areas over and over? If it were an "alien" formation, we should be seeing these all over the world. The day I start believing is the day we have the same crop circle, in over 10,000 locations on the planet, overnight. As it stands now, you have the crop circle formations appearing in the same general areas as the others have come. To me that says that whatever or whomever is forming these circles live close to those areas.

With respect to the CME prediction crop circle:

The premise of this particular analysis is pretty loose to any scientific standard, not to mention it was analyzed by "An Australian scientist, who requests anonymity." True science is not done behind veils of anonymity, and the mere fact that this so called "Scientist" demands to remain anonymous doesn't lend any form of credibility to this analysis.

If this circle was created by some alien force, why did it take them three days and nights to finish it? Surely aliens with advanced technology should be able to finish something like this in a few hours.

An Earth centered view? Why suddenly are we going back to an old model of the solar system with Earth at the middle? Perhaps because it is the only thing that "fits?" I mean honestly, if alien beings were trying to warn us of something, especially something from the sun, why wouldn't they use a Sun centered model? And why would they only place this supposed "dire warning" on only one location on Earth? I mean clearly if this was a major event, they should be placing these warnings everywhere! And why are they making these intricate designs? Why not just say in the field "Solar flare coming soon!" Why all the mystery?

With respect to the "Largest Ever Sun Spot":

I'm pretty sure from the posts of others that it is pretty clear that this is not the largest Sun Spot in history.

All in all I am pretty disappointed that people are looking to crop circles for scientific facts, rather than our satellites which are designed for the purpose.

I understand that people need to have some sort of belief systems, some believe in a god, some believe in an alien overlord, and others believe that a flying spaghetti monster is the great creator. But crop circles? *sigh*

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think we might be missing the bigger picture. Alot of people took the crop circle as warning for immediate doom just because we are a immediate gratification society doesnt mean the world works that way. And so when destruction doesnt happen the "debunkers" say nah nah nah na nah you were wrong. But it would seem to me that it was just kind of a midpoint to get our attention prove credibility. There could possibly be another crop circle or sign coming to show the real danger. Thats just my interpertation and thats all everyone saying on this is a "interpertation" not like there was a caption saying hey humans this is what we meant.

p.s please forgive my horrible spelling lol

[edit on 7-7-2009 by plaguedone]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Typical prediction gibberish. "There will be a massive earthquake on this date!" Earthquakes occur every day. Once that day arrives, just pick the biggest earthquake and claim it was right. What a load of rubbish.

Yes, saying an earthquake will happen on any given day is a no-brainer. But we have only one SUN and this was picked for THIS day -- out of ya know - 365 possible other ones...and in 2009 -- out of ya know, thousands of other choices.

Oh yeah -- and a sunspot is RARE these days. So to say that one happens on any given day just doesn't work.

This "message" was warning us of what? A warning would be something to get us prepared for an event that would have consequences. This "killer sunspot" has not even affected cellphone service, as far as I can tell. It has DONE NOTHING. We were warned of nothing? Why would be need a "warning" about a sunspot?

Perhaps it was simply of a way of someone/thing saying: "We know more than you do". Seeing as not one person on Earth can predict when a sunspot will appear, I guess "their" message was accurate.

I had no doubt though. The day would come, and someone would pick the most anomalous event for the day regarding the sun, and suddenly the crop circles are "real" with a deeper meaning.

It's not anomalous event. Period. It was specific with a decisive date. If someone told you that a UFO would appear on July 7th -- and there was one -- I think you might start listening to that person a little more closely.

Look.. they are man made. The "deciphering" of the message was done in no time at all, by a guy who fear mongers about solar storms for crying out loud. I am just astounded that you would believe this gibberish based on.. nothing at all!

Maybe they are man-made. But it's some incredible man with knowledge about the sun that nobody else on Earth seems to have. So if it is man-made, I think we've successfully ruled-put drunken idiots with planks.

PS - Not decoded quickly at all. Please do your research about the vast number of SCIENTISTS that spend EONS of time deciphering crop circles. And don't worry -- it doesn't mean they are made by aliens. It means they could be made by men with a message.

What it doesn't mean is that these are some idiots with a bunch of rope and a board with nothing better to do.

PPS - Have you seen the deciphered message from the crop circle two weeks ago? They called in historians specifically trained in the Mayan language. Its a pretty interesting read. I recommend it to you.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
ok whatever,first a solar storm now a sun spot I guess the crop circles was fakes, everybody just jumps from one thing to the next nobody said anything about a sun spot on the 7th it was supposed to be a solar storm I guess we'll never learn that most of these theories are BS! nothing happened today no soloar storm no magnetic storm no communications failures NOTHING I hope you all have learned something, like don't believe everything you read

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
U2U me if you want a link to a forum to debate these events and related solar activities

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Eh.. why do people keep saying that "it predicted this" or "the crop circle predicated that." It didn't predict anything. It was "translated" by someone who incidently is heavily into solar flares and storms, and loves to fearmonger about the next doomsday because of them. I'd hardly call this an accurate prediction of anything.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

Hmmm. So, xmaddness, what you are pointing out is this...

...the crop circle seems like a very pretty, yet obviously man-made, one,
...the sun spot is NOT the largest one ever -- and is actually very, very ordinary, and
...even the interpretation of the crop circle as a prediction of a "CME" (which, by the way, is not anything at all like a sunspot) is pretty dubious at best.

...so what you are saying is that this crop circle/sunspot story is all pretty meaningless and isn't worthy of a multi-page thread.

I agree 100%.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If we are talking about sunspot 1024 then it wasnt found today anyway, its been around for a week or so and at this point is gradually diminishing. So its got nothing to do with 7/7. It is not the biggest.
The Gympie times may have taken a little poetic license with their story and now OP has taken a hell of a lot more and turning it into something its not, as usual.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by plaguedone

I'm sorry but people that believe this stuff never learn and when it doesn't happen you always bounce to something else,oh it might have been a warning well I thought these people decoded this message to me it now sounds like BS, Y2K all over again nothings going to happen at all not tomorrow not next week not next month, SUN SPOTS HAPPEN PEOPLE ITS NOT LIKE THIS IS A NEW THING AND SIZE MEANS NOTHING,who cares just admit the circles was fake the decoding was fake,and i really wanted to think something was going to happen, but as always this has been just a myth just like Y2K,2012, By the way i'm not a skeptic but I have to draw a line somewhere

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

It's helpful to look at the actual data used for the simulation and to understand that looking at just one aspect of the magnetosphere doesn't tell us a whole lot. The pressure on the magnetosphere is a function of two things; the speed of the solar wind and the density of the solar wind. Right now the speed of the wind is quite low (~350kps), indicating low energy levels. The density, the number of particles in the wind, is reasonably high. Notice that the speed is quite steady but the density fluctuates quite a bit. Those fluctuations are what is causing the simulator to show fluctuations in pressure.

The relatively high density is due to the recently past solar activity. Because of the slow speed of the solar wind, it has taken several days for the products of the sunspots to reach us but they finally got here. But because they have so little energy and because the the magnetic properties of the solar wind are quite stable (the Bz and By data), there is no unusual geomagnetic activity occurring.

On June 24 we experienced a minor geomagnetic storm (didn't hear much about it did you?) Here is an animation from the simulator for that day. Notice that when the storm hits at about 15:00GMT the speed and density suddenly increase. Notice also that the Bz and By values go wild.

What we are seeing now is basically nothing.

movie

[edit on 7/7/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Personally, I find all of this very interesting!

I felt a change today, and I think a few other people did, too. A shift of some sort. I wish I could be less vague, but I think things will become more apparent soon.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by plaguedone
I think we might be missing the bigger picture. Alot of people took the crop circle as warning for immediate doom just because we are a immediate gratification society doesnt mean the world works that way. And so when destruction doesnt happen the "debunkers" say nah nah nah na nah you were wrong. But it would seem to me that it was just kind of a midpoint to get our attention prove credibility. There could possibly be another crop circle or sign coming to show the real danger. Thats just my interpertation and thats all everyone saying on this is a "interpertation" not like there was a caption saying hey humans this is what we meant.

p.s please forgive my horrible spelling lol

[edit on 7-7-2009 by plaguedone]

So we wait until some above-normal solar activity occurs (which it will occur someday soon...above-normal solar activity is not uncommon) --

-- and it is at THAT time that we can look back at this crop circle incident and say the circle accurately predicted that inevitable and not-uncommon solar event.

If that's the case, then the swirls or cream in my coffee just predicted an Earthquake will occur...sometime, someday. Mark my words.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0nce 0nce

Originally posted by liveandlearn
It is pretty darn cool that there is finally a significant sunspot in the news on the day determined by the crop circle.

Can you prove the crop circle actually "determined" anything? No.

It's all speculation.

Can you 'prove' the cropcircle is man-man?.. No.

It's all speculation...

the cropcircle mentioned 7/7 on 7/7 largest sunspot in recorded history shows up and your trying to dismiss it?? ... wow

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Eh.. why do people keep saying that "it predicted this" or "the crop circle predicated that." It didn't predict anything. It was "translated" by someone who incidently is heavily into solar flares and storms, and loves to fearmonger about the next doomsday because of them. I'd hardly call this an accurate prediction of anything.

Do you find it at all curious that a pictogram depicts or at least resembles a magnetosphere Sim most people would turn to online to monitor the magnetosphere?

I do, I think thats an extraordinary coincidence, considering the pictograms were made before the solar activity started at this level, and that there is clear image corelation from the 'crop images' and the Ja[anese NICT site.

However, I dont care. I dont care who, how, or even really why these 'cop images' were put there, but I see a pattern, and a relationship. How can anyone deny that?... The ignorant i guess...But I digress.

The bottom line is the SOLAR ACTIVITY at the moment, and thats an important thing to focus on, not the tired old shills slapping their keyboards with derision and distraction.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Maybe they are man-made. But it's some incredible man with knowledge about the sun that nobody else on Earth seems to have. So if it is man-made, I think we've successfully ruled-put drunken idiots with planks.

PS - Not decoded quickly at all. Please do your research about the vast number of SCIENTISTS that spend EONS of time deciphering crop circles. And don't worry -- it doesn't mean they are made by aliens. It means they could be made by men with a message.

What it doesn't mean is that these are some idiots with a bunch of rope and a board with nothing better to do.

PPS - Have you seen the deciphered message from the crop circle two weeks ago? They called in historians specifically trained in the Mayan language. Its a pretty interesting read. I recommend it to you.

I dont think any of us said they were drunken or idiots. They are just guys with a little talent and a huge sense of humor.

There are not real scientists spending "eons of time deciphering crop circles." Maybe pseudoscientists or guys living in their parents basement that like to think they are scientists.

A real scientist spending more than a few hours on this is like Los Alamos testing whether or not you do break your mamas back when you step on a crack.

I would love to see what the "historians" had to say and their credentials, can you pass us a link to that info?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join