It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physical Reality of String Theory Demonstrated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

String theory has come under fire in recent years. Promises have been made that have not been lived up to. Leiden (The Netherlands) theoretical physicists have now for the first time used string theory to describe a physical phenomenon. Their discovery has been reported in Science Express.

'This is superb. I have never experienced such euphoria.' Jan Zaanen makes no attempt to hide his enthusiasm. Together with Mihailo Cubrovic and Koenraad Schalm, he has successfully managed to shed light on a previously unexplained natural phenomeon using the mathematics of string theory.

Electrons can form a special kind of state, a so-called quantum critical state, that plays a role in high-temperature super-conductivity. Super-conductivity at high temperatures has long been a 'hot issue' in physics. In super-conductivity, discovered by Heike Kamerlingh Onnes in Leiden, electrons can zoom through a material without meeting any resistance. In the first instance, this only seemed possible at very low temperatures close to absolute zero, but more and more examples are coming up where it also occurs at higher temperatures. So far, nobody has managed to explain high temperature super-conductivity. Zaanen: 'It has always been assumed that once you understand this quantum-critical state, you can also understand high temperature super-conductivity. But, although the experiments produced a lot of information, we hadn't the faintest idea of how to describe this phenomenon.' String theory now offers a solution.

This is the first time that a calculation based on string theory has been published in Science, even though the theory is widely known. 'There have always been a lot of expectations surrounding string theory,' Zaanen explains, having himself studied the theory to satisfy his own curiosity. 'String theory is often seen as a child of Einstein that aims to devise a revolutionary and comprehensive theory, a kind of 'theory of everything'. Ten years ago, researchers even said: 'Give us two weeks and we'll be able to tell you where the big bang came from. The problem of string theory was that, in spite of its excellent maths, it was never able to make a concrete link with the physical reality - the world around us.'

But now, Zaanen, together with his colleagues Cubrovic and Schalm, are trying to change this situation, by applying string theory to a phenomenon that physicists, including Zaanen, have for the past fifteen years been unable to explain: the quantum-critical state of electrons. This special state occurs in a material just before it becomes super-conductive at high temperature. Zaanen describes the quantum-critical state as a 'quantum soup', whereby the electrons form a collective independent of distances, where the electrons exhibit the same behaviour at small quantum mechanical scale or at macroscopic human scale.

www.physorg.com...

Are they on the right track or is this just another dead end?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I really tried hard to understand that but I'm afraid it was well over my napper. I would assume that you understand what this article is saying, so any chance that you could lay it out in simple terms, or is it just one of those discoveries that will remain meaningless to me until someone makes my car more expensive with it?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
You could actually emulate 'high temperature' or rather room temperature superconductivity electromagnetism by:

1. Getting a metallic disc with rounded edges
2. Charge it to a high voltage
3. Finally, spin it

4. It's that simple!!

Electrons or alternately, protons are also moving or rather spinning round an axis and generating electromagnetism without resistance in this case too.

With adequate fabrication techniques, efficiency will be high compared to normal means of generating electromagnetism.

*Unfortunately*, you will also encounter Einstein Relativity not apparent with ordinary magnets, depending on how you're using the disc, it might be a problem or not depending on your intentions

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

whereby the electrons form a collective independent of distances, where the electrons exhibit the same behaviour at small quantum mechanical scale or at macroscopic human scale.

Instead of dead end, I'd lean towards false assumption. If the above quote is the case, it points to a pattern we are unaware of. That doesn't rule out string theory, but neither does it offer any solid support.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Living in the past is better.
No electrons, just current carriers.
No waves. No strings.
There is not much else one can do with electricity or gravity
except make more symbols.
Figure out what Tesla did in his scientific work, as nothing has been disclosed.
How could his theory of gravity be so important.
He said, 1932, his theory explained the expanding universe.
Said cosmic rays caused radioactivity.
From sea level and high altitude radiation measurements determined
the Earth's atmosphere to be as effective as 36" of lead shielding.
Lets turn the pages and get some facts.

top topics

join