It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 minutes with Richard Dawkins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just thought I'd post this link. Seeing as there was a thread about him being "Evil".

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Cheers for that - it was interesting to watch.

This will no doubt spark an interesting debate.

Richard Dawkins is a very intelligent, well spoken, objective, logical man. When compared to the interviews & discussions I've seen with his rivals (in particular Creationists along the lines of Kent Hovind), he certainly comes over as being quite sane & well reasoned.

He really doesn't seem evil at all to me.

The only real crime is that whilst Creationists peddle their muddled 2000 year old stories & whilst some people believe it, then that's a whole bunch of wasted effort that could have been spent furthering mankinds undertanding of the scientific explanation of the real world & the universe we live in.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Interesting responses. I find the points on moral judgements interesting, in that how does dawkins judge what is morally good or bad?

I think dawkins is deluded rather then evil, but the danger lies in other people following him like uncritical thinking sheep.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Here's Dawkins debating probably the dumbest xtian I ever seen, and the guy is a "Teacher" !!!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sinthia

Originally posted by sinthia
Interesting responses. I find the points on moral judgements interesting, in that how does dawkins judge what is morally good or bad?

Strange comments - could you elaborate please? Are you coming at this from a Christian viewpoint?
I may have completely misunderstood your post but it sounds like you are saying only people who believe in religion can understand what morals are, or only religious people can have morals. If so I disagree.
As I say, maybe I misunderstood you & apologies if I did.

Dawkins explained in the video how his morals work - he understands as a human being how it feels to be treated by others (like; he wouldn't want his possessions stolen, or for someone to take his life...etc), that then forms the basis of how treats others purely out of empathy & natural good natured personality.

This actually agrees with the Christian sense of 'treat others as you would like others to treat you' & at least most of the 10 commandments.

I don't find any contradiction in this, there are plenty of good people following a perfectly good set of morals who are not religious. It's human nature true for any well balanced human being.

In fact there's plenty of people who;
- are religious & have good morals.
- are religious but have bad morals.
- are not religious & have good morals.
- are not religious & have bad morals.

You see, religion does not have a monopoly on morals & also, just because someone is religious does not necessarily mean they will automatically have good morals.

It's much more to do with empathy for others than anything else, however religion clearly expands on that further - but what I mean is that, just by being a well balanced human should qualify for a minimum standard of decent morality.

I think dawkins is deluded rather then evil...

Fair point, but for me I don't think Dawkins is evil or deluded, I think he's quite intelligent & logical.

...but the danger lies in other people following him like uncritical thinking sheep.

...damn...I fell into that trap!! that'll be me being an uncritical thinking sheep again...& with my username & everything [shame].

Actually, I have thought a lot about morality & many other philosophical topics over the course of my life (I'm 38) & critical thinking is a useful tool as a computer programmer & OK I'm no Einstein but I'm not a complete dumbass. It just so happens I agree with what Dawkins says & his general view. I think he's most likely right in what he says.

I'm not sold 100% on all of evolution theory but I will definitely take science above Religion & Creationism.
At least science looks at actual evidence & tries to understand & will adapt as new evidence manifests.
We don't know all the answers yet & some scientific theories may still need a bit of tweaking but at least there's a methodology there for mankind to progress further from 2000 year old understanding.

From my point of view the uncritical thinking sheep are the ones that believe everything in the bible without questioning the fact that there's mounting physical evidence against it.

[edit on 10/7/2009 by moobaawoof]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Thanks for the video, good contribution...& yes...that teacher is a dumbass.
I really wish they could understand how they are teaching these children to close their minds at such a critical age in their development, it's cruelty really.
If they really understood how they were affecting the child then they wouldn't do it.

Better to give the child the differing points of view & let them decide for themselves, then if as an adult they decide to believe xyz religion - then fair enough & so be it.

...check out the username synchronicity...

[edit on 10/7/2009 by moobaawoof]

new topics

top topics

join