It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Women should be paid for donating eggs,' says academic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
5k an egg? why not? Especially for how much money in the end the stem cell procedure will wind up charging on the other side.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Well men get paid for "donating" sperm, so how is that any different?
I have yet to hear a guy call himself a sperm "seller".

And a general question.
Why is there only an issue when a woman wants to profit off selling her reproductive bits. Yet, sperm donation has been going on for decades and nothing is ever said about that?

I'm in full support of paid surrogacy and paid egg donation.
The egg and the pregnancy is over 80% of the whole baby making thing anyway and yet women are expected to do it for free.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sounds ok for those who want to do it but for me I wouldnt sell my eggs for any amount of money. In a way I look at those(eggs) being a part of me or my kids in some way and IMO they are priceless. If one wants to do this it's their business but for me I wouldnt. What if I donated or sold my eggs and some woman out there has a id and then when I want to have one my eggs arent good anymore? I would feel like the only chance I had was gone. Sounds weird but I have had this discussion with a friend of mine who a few years ago was thinking of doing this.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

That's alot of easy cash, too easy. If it ever comes to pass, at least it will be a better route than prostitution. I mean if you're going to sell your body.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you plan on having children later in life, you can have unfertilised eggs frozen in your 20s. It's expensive though as they have to be kept on ice for years.
A friend of mine got cancer in her early 20s and had her eggs frozen before having chemo and radiation treatment which can sometimes cause infertility through the destruction of eggs.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Well a little late for the 20's I am now 30...hehe. I will have kids one day, Im not ready right now although last night I had a strange dream about being married and having a daughter. It was really weird and very unusual for my normal dreams but I think I post that in another thread,

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Oops!! Well you can have them frozen at any age but the earlier the better apparently.

I have a friend my age (I''m in my 40s BTW) who wished she had've gone down that route as she's waited too long. Unfortunately for her, the only way she could have a child now is through IVF from a donated egg by an egg donor much like the one that this thread is about.

So there is a huge market for this kind of thing.
For better or worse I guess.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

You do have to have a range of drugs to produce enough eggs to warrent a collection.

As a veteran of IVF it is not the nicest thing to go through, so any women doing this would need some form of payment.

I was told that your risk of cancer increases but goes back down to normal once a pregnancy has been gone through, so if these women are just donating eggs and do not plan on any future pregnancy they will be at slightly higher risk.

Ps After 14 fertility treatments we finally had a baby and then another one with no help at all!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join