It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a New Independence Day!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Be patient, it gets better.

I went to the local Independence Day celebration here in West Michigan. It is called Muskegon’s Summer Celebration. They had live bands (Third Eye Blind, Shinedown, etc.), a carnival, pig races for some reason, funhouses - all that stuff. I went with my family – my wife and my four year old son.

We had a good time, I suppose. The boy went on his first rides and played games and watched little pigs and everything. My wife and I got some much needed exercise, but we ate carnival food so it didn’t really matter.

I am telling you all this so that it will help frame what I am about to rant about next.

I love America. I love our Constitution. I believe it is a living document, but not one that can just be erased when a bunch of elite snobs and powerful bankers decide it is in the way of their carefully laid plans. I love the freedoms we have enjoyed up until 2002. I am grateful that most people that I know, and many that I do not know, still believe in our fundamental human rights as described in the Bill of Rights and throughout our amended Constitution.

But as I was pulling my son around in his wagon at the carnival, waiting for the fireworks that would once again attempt to remind the masses that it was a justified war - fought by traitors and rebels - that bought our freedoms, I was struck but the sheer number of people that were completely clueless about our country’s history and what is now becoming of her.

There were approximately 10000 people there. Men, women, little kids and babies. But by far, the highest percentage of bodies there were those between 11 and 20.

Now, I know what it was like to be a teenager. But even at 15, 17, 19 years old, I had a mother and father that at least did their best to make sure I was educated in the basics of our history. I didn’t go to the best schools, I even dropped out to get married (stupid – don’t do it!!!). Yet I was always aware that personal freedom and personal responsibility were what made our country great. What I witnessed there were mostly wannabe thugs and “ho’s” wearing new clothes and having no idea what it’s like to fire a weapon or how to respect anyone around them. I am not an old man, BTW
. I saw people with a glazed look in their eye, the kind that says “No, I am not on drugs. And I am here because there is no way I can afford to go anywhere else.” I saw a few people that really seemed to care about what Independence Day is. But there was hopelessness and an almost eerie feeling of “waiting” – and not just for fireworks. Most of the people there weren’t even spending money or riding rides or playing games. There was just this huge amount of struttin’ around and showin off, and the conversations I couldn’t help but pick up on were mostly about the latest TV show (Jon and Kate and others) and other inane BS.

When it came time for the fireworks, there was no national anthem, no flag-raising. The only flag there was not even lit after dark. Everybody loved the “show”, and they clapped. But it just seemed hollow. Like we were all just going through the motions

I guess my main point is that I know the sheeple are the majority, but when I was surrounded by so many people that obviously didn’t have a clue, I felt surprisingly alone and got a bit angry and then depressed.

How are we to get through to them?? I wanted to scream “Hey!! Doesn’t anybody here know what the hell is really going on?!?”

But of course, I didn’t. I took pictures and watched my son and kissed my wife and enjoyed the fireworks, and went home.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcc2c2b5155f.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes, we are independent from the Crown. But we are controlled by domestic and foreign interests. We, the People, are no longer independent. And I just feel freakin helpless. Is there a group of like-minded patriots I can join or something?

I mean, what really is the solution?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I agree with you 100% and let me tell you that you were not the only one who felt that empty feeling inside on Saturday. It was disgusting, and just like you stated. Sure, there was the usual gala festivities, fireworks, familys gathering together, but that's it...no regard for what the whole point of the night is supposed to represent.

I hate to say it, but our best years are behind us. The system we live in now is complete BS, it is a house of cards that is about to come crumbling down faster than a runnaway avalanche.

Personally, I look forward to a new independence day, and I just pray that I am alive to participate in it. I fought for my country once before and I'm ready to fight for it again. What's frustrating is that the masses around are not waking up! Oh well, I will keep the good fight as I hope you do as well!

As far as a group to join, don't worry, once things begin escalating out of control, sides will be drawn and from your post, I'm confident that you'll choose the right one.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by obilesk

You know, I felt the same way that night...I live in Michigan as well. I made a thread about it too...but didn't get much attention..thats ok though.

People just don't give a crap man. I wish they did.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Wow. It feels good to know I am not alone. I guess I already knew that, but I wondered how many others felt the way I did this year. I hope you and I both can see the day when those lines are drawn and the way out of this mess is a little clearer! See you on the battlefield.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I visited your thread - a star for you!

Yes, I am proud, as you are, to celebrate the ideals which helped to found this amazing experiment in freedom called the USA. I want to be proud again, not just for the ideals, but for the very America I live in and am raising my child in. I want him to be free from fear of a run-away federal government. Free of gestapo police tactics. Free to have the same promise of self-improvement without bounds like we and our fore-fathers and -mothers had. I want us to get along and respect differences, yet to have the freedom to express our personal distaste for anything we choose, and the privilege to openly argue with those that see us as distasteful in return.

As you stated, people just don't care now it seems, and i believe it is because of one simple thing - avarice. Our desire for mateiral things has driven our lifestyles further into the pit we are in, and the spoiled nature of our society has fostered a populace that has never really known what it's like to not be free.

We have had it too good for too long, perhaps? Am I wearing my Captain Obvious hat again?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by obilesk]

[edit on 7-7-2009 by obilesk]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by obilesk

God speed brother! Remember, there was one fundamental thing which I learned in my years of service in the Army: "Watch your lane" -- meaning, I try to stay clear of all this political jibberish that I'm spoon fed, instead I am focusing on what I can control and that is protecting those I love from the S.H.T.F that looks to be coming our way like a freight train.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Absolutely bro. We have out-reached our 200 year mark as a nation. It looks like our democratic Republic is on the way out. I feel so damn helpless, but I would gladly stand up to those that want to destroy our way of life. I'm all for global peace, but not at the expense of liberty. God bless, and thank you for serving!

new topics

top topics

join