It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping My Child's Heritage--Need Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well folks, it's that time in my life where me and my husband are adopting another child. A 3 year old from Ehtiopia will be joining us very shortly, but I have a few concerns regarding his upbringing that' I'd like some help with.

Really I just need advice on how to keep his Ethiopian heritage strong, I want him to grow up knowing where he came from, but it seems that Ethiopia is kind of a hard pressed place.

Can anybody suggest books, meals, or Canadian attractions which would help?

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Fine Dining of Ethiopian Restuarants in Canada. There u have a start in culture based cuisine!

Have you also tried the Ethiopian Embassy? They may have heaps of information regarding what you are looking for and what you can do in Canada to provide for your child.

Here is basic statistical information about Ethiopians in Canada...

Congratulations on the adoption there Tenth, well done

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Im a Marty]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Congrats on you upcoming new addition! I would start at local bookstores or libraries to get information and maybe some books you could give the child later on to read. I am sure you can find childrens books online that could be from there and about the culture that you could read to them and show them that is where they are from. I also agree with the other poster about the Embassy, they would more than likely have information for you too. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

www.ethiopiantreasures.toucansurf.com...
www.selamta.net...
www.africa.upenn.edu...
ehfoundation.org...

Heres a few links I found.
I hope this helps.
Congrats and good luck.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just a suggestion for possible when the child is a little older, It may be worth sponsoring a child through something like world vision from that area,

You can then get some very up to date info from certain areas,

Good luck and what an amazing thing that you are doing, I wish you all the luck in the world, This planet needs more people like you in it

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well folks, it's that time in my life where me and my husband are adopting another child. A 3 year old from Ehtiopia will be joining us very shortly, but I have a few concerns regarding his upbringing that' I'd like some help with.

It is off-topic and I would understand if you wouldn't want to go into it here...U2U perhaps...but I would be very interested in hearing more, about why you have 'chosen' adoption and why you have chosen to adopt a child from Ethiopia? And what that entailed? ...if it is not too personal.

I have a son, that I had in the usual way, and although I don't want to have any more children of my own (so to speak) I have been increasingly thinking about fostering and adoption. Not immediately, but perhaps in the next couple of years it is something I want to look into. Any advice?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Well I'll be happy to explain myself to everybody, I'm not a very shy person and most of the folks I talk with here know whats up.

Basically I have already adopted 2 children from foreign countries. I gay and me and my husband decided we wanted a huge family. We had a surrogate deliver our youngest we have now, but the other two were adopted.

Now that my eldest is out of the house and in University I've decided to adopt another and give a child who otherwise might not have a life at all, a chance at a truly marvelous life here in Canada.

As far as Ethiopia, we wanted a culturally diverse family, so with each adoption we decided to have them from different countries. Ethiopia was kind of my choice this time.

Anyway, it's the joy of my life to watch a child who didn't have a chance, actually grow up to be a productive, smart and outreaching member of society, that's why I do it most of all.

As for the replies, thanks guys I really appreciate it, you'd think I would be use to this but it has been about 12 years since our last adoption so I think i've lost my touch haha.

In any case, you all are wonderful.

As for advice in adoption or fostering, it's the best feeling in the world when you see you make a difference, especially in kids who've had trouble lives. I would suggest getting them young since that way any trauma can be replaced with good memories, but either way it will work so long as you are a patient and give them a loving environment full of acceptance...

~Keeper

[edit on 7/7/2009 by tothetenthpower]

new topics

top topics

join